Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 08:26 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times

Advertisements

Something has really been bothering me. Why is it that, when defending home ownership, renters are pariahs.

Renters are accused of:
1. Not caring about their neighborhoods
2. Not taking care of their homes
3. Being politically inactive
4. Being transient and noncommittal
5. Being bad neighbors

Do people in Manhattan care less about their neighborhood when only 35% of residents own a property?

Do people magically become responsible when they take out a mortgage?

Do people suddenly invite their neighbors to bbqs and create ties to communities once they receive the keys?

Does everyone who gets the title to their home suddenly start showing about city council meetings, community action groups and political forums?

I don't think so. So what's the deal. Why aren't renters portrayed as wel rounded individuals: some are good, some are scrubs, some are involved and some are apathetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 09:13 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
The generalization you mention is so ingrained that many condo homeowner's associations forbid renting out to tenants, because it would lower the property values. Naturally not all renters fit the stereotype, but the perception is based on experience, and those tenants who do fit your
1-5 list are a lot more visible than those who don't.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:19 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
In Manhattan, the buildings are typically co-ops, condo's or apartments. Meaning they are managed by a set of guidelines and there are actually resources assigned to keeping the building to standards. In other, more conventional areas, many people are leasing in a community not managed and some tenants don't display the same commitment to the upkeep and neatness as most of the homeowners. There are exceptions all the way around. I have seen homeowners who did not keep the outside of their properties in any way neat or even maintained. I have seen tenants who had a lot of pride in the homes they were leasing. I have a tenant who is a doctor. He and his wife were not taking good care of the property and I recently warned them that I wasn't likely to renew the lease if specific changes were not made. Things HAVE greatly improved. I feel, as an owner, it is my obligation to the neighbors that my property doesn't downgrade the look of the block. I think its a shame I had to address this problem with these tenants. My other properties in condo & townhouse communities always look nice. But they are managed by the HOA.

I am actually a believer in HOA's. I live in a community with an HOA and we pay a management company. There are many people who lease in our community. But if a property begins to be neglected, our HOA ensures the owners take action.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:29 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
The generalization you mention is so ingrained that many condo homeowner's associations forbid renting out to tenants, because it would lower the property values. Naturally not all renters fit the stereotype, but the perception is based on experience, and those tenants who do fit your
1-5 list are a lot more visible than those who don't.
Actually, too many renters in a condo can result in the inability to obtain financing or refinancing . That has a serious impact on market values.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:00 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,040,652 times
There has to be some truth to what you listed or else the stereotypes would not exist in the first place. There are exceptions to most things. You claim you are the exception. Good.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:39 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
It has been my experience that neighborhoods with large numbers of renters are not as well maintained as neighborhoods with large numbers of owners. That doesn't mean every renter is not keeping up their home. Nor does it mean that every owner is keeping up their home.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:09 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
It has been my experience that neighborhoods with large numbers of renters are not as well maintained as neighborhoods with large numbers of owners. That doesn't mean every renter is not keeping up their home. Nor does it mean that every owner is keeping up their home.
The above is correct. I am a member of an HOA townhouse board where we have 26 units. About 5 of the 26 are rented out. Most, but not all, of our problems with violations (loud parties late at night, unattended minors in the swimming pool, etc.) are caused by the renters. However, I was a renter for seventeen years straight before buying this townhouse and my level of responsibility and my concern for not bothering neighbors did not change one iota from renter to owner.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:21 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
The feeling that renters are poor otherwise they would own. But many these days prefer to rent because of the housing markets. And if you move frequently it does not often make sense. But people who move frequently are also pariahs to some.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:48 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,250,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Something has really been bothering me. Why is it that, when defending home ownership, renters are pariahs.

Renters are accused of:
1. Not caring about their neighborhoods
2. Not taking care of their homes
3. Being politically inactive
4. Being transient and noncommittal
5. Being bad neighbors

Do people in Manhattan care less about their neighborhood when only 35% of residents own a property?

Do people magically become responsible when they take out a mortgage?

Do people suddenly invite their neighbors to bbqs and create ties to communities once they receive the keys?

Does everyone who gets the title to their home suddenly start showing about city council meetings, community action groups and political forums?

I don't think so. So what's the deal. Why aren't renters portrayed as wel rounded individuals: some are good, some are scrubs, some are involved and some are apathetic.
When we have rented, it was temporary (transient) and I didn't go out of my way to take care of the property like I would if I owned it. Not that I was bad about it, but if it is my house I take more precautions and am more proactive than reactive. So, when I have been a renter I wasn't as socially active with my neighbors, didn't really take care of the place, and was transient...I wasn't loud and obnoxious, I was respectful of my neighbors, it is just I never felt tied to the place like I do in a home. So, those stereotypes fit me.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:05 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,872,260 times
I bought a house and still don't partake in the neighborhood BS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate