Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 11:41 AM

32 posts, read 87,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
Perhaps too that it's commission first, but keep in mind that financing to buy a house isn't the same as financing to buy a car.

Buying a house involves financing first for your monthly payments, then finding one that meets the price, whereas buying a car is typically meeting the price first, then a loan that'd meet your payments.

This is why pre-qualifying is so important. You will not look like anyone wanting to serious buy unless you take this first step.

My agent was with me for 9 months. There are others here on C-D who have house hunted for 2 years with their agent. That's a lot of time commitment from the agent's perspective that clients don't always know about until they're past that first step.

hmmm, good points.
Ok, so how i go about picking a good agent? I sure as **** wouldn't take the advice of any agent who helped my pour friends into homes at the wrong time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 11:43 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev5n24 View Post
hmmm, good points.
Ok, so how i go about picking a good agent? I sure as **** wouldn't take the advice of any agent who helped my pour friends into homes at the wrong time.
Agents can't see in to the future. Their job is to help people buy and sell homes. By your philosophy you would have to exclude pretty much every single agent who helped a buyer for the last 5 years or so.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:13 PM

ha! very tru manderly,..
maybe i should bring back to life an agent who committed suicide for feeling bad for selling all those over priced homes,.. lol

anywho, so does it matter the agent one uses? Or are they just a middle man you pretty much HAVE to use less you got 'straight cash homie'?

Old 03-29-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev5n24 View Post
ha! very tru manderly,..
maybe i should bring back to life an agent who committed suicide for feeling bad for selling all those over priced homes,.. lol

anywho, so does it matter the agent one uses? Or are they just a middle man you pretty much HAVE to use less you got 'straight cash homie'?
I think it matters a lot. I have had very good agents and not so good agents and I thought it made a big difference. The problem though is figuring out which is which.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I think it matters a lot. I have had very good agents and not so good agents and I thought it made a big difference. The problem though is figuring out which is which.
million dollar question eh?...

just to be clear, is an agent affiliated with the bank in anyway? or are they independent and just find you a home?

Old 03-29-2011, 12:48 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,979,128 times
Independent, and in this case, they will be representing your interests.

Somewhere on this board was a post on interviewing a buyer's agent ... that's what you'll be doing.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:18 PM

It helps if you can get some friends or family to refer someone they have used.

Old 03-29-2011, 03:45 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,780,761 times
Irvine Renter over at the Irvine Housing Blog has begun flipping houses in Vegas. You might see if you can pick his brains about it. He has published some stuff on his site about what he has encountered there so far. Please check it out.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:26 PM

Great info folks,.. really appreciate it.

Got another question relative to all this;
Even though my main goal is to sell later after a fix up, and living in it for a bit till the market hopefully turns up,.. one aspect still RALLY REALLY want is a whole lot of light coming into the house on i believe the south side. I grow a lot of plants and quite a few aren't native to the area, would die outside in the Vegas heat, but man do they flourish in the Vegas sun. I think the easiest way to accomplish this is to find a place with a balcony off the 2nd story master that faces south, maybe even put sky lights in s well to an already very very sunny area. I've seen a few just by chance using google earth, but damn i can for see what a needle in the hay stack it will make when an agent starts looking for me. Is it too much to ask an agent to find this and a fixer upper in a safe area of Vegas? It makes sense that so many homes here go just about window less on the south side for cooling reasons, and since I'm renting a condo i deal, but i think if im signing my name to 150k dotted line im gonna want that aspect :-)

Old 03-29-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobE View Post
Irvine Renter over at the Irvine Housing Blog has begun flipping houses in Vegas
just read some of his stuff here, and i get what he's doing,.. but i don't think that really fits into my situation of wanting to actually live in the home for a bit and take my time fixing it up. The way he talks, buying a home today would be a really dumb idea unless you were willing to live in it for a long time, or do what he does and buy/re-sell it in a few days, for a few thousand profit, and all he really did was clean it up and resell it to people not ballsy enough to buy a foreclosed sight unseen type home that god only knows what the last folks did to. He's gambling in Vegas, no big surprise there,.. maybe his local team really checks out the locations first to make sure there not totally ****ed,.. good for him but I'm one guy with a hammer looking to take my time, he's made an all day job out of being a vulture. The world does needs vultures though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate