Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 02:47 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,871,992 times

Advertisements

Picked up a beautiful 1925 brick house, a four bedroom, one bathroom with full basement deal.

$30k.

Best $30k I've spent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 06:58 AM

50 posts, read 177,522 times
There are areas in Salt Lake where an old fixer can be a great investment and areas where it wouldn’t be such a great idea.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:50 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,105,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I love architecture and always dreamed of an old home. Most of our houses at that point had been built between the 40's and 50's. So we were thrilled to buy a home built in the early 1900's. It was a small place, only 800 sft. A 2 bedroom, 2 story colonial with soo much charm! It was what we could afford at the time in that particular neighborhood. It had an adorable sunroom that was full of windows and opened inward. Original woodwork, oak staircase and hardwood floors. The original furnace was coal burning but when bought the house it had been changed to forced air. The layout of the house definitely did not meet a more modern lifestyle. I had what they called a worker's kitchen. The kitchen was only 9 x 7. Pretty much you worked in there and got out.

Choosing appliance was pretty tough because fridges now are much deeper. I paid extra for a counter depth and even then you couldnt open the fridge and the stove at the same time. Even the door to the fridge couldnt open all the way because the door hit the counter on the other side, so the one crisper at the bottom was never used. Due to the layout of the house there was no way of ever rearranging the kitchen. We had to live with it. We had a good sized dining room so eating meals wasn't a problem but preparing those meals could be. Thanksgiving dinner was a task with only a 3 foot prep space. The house was either freezing cold or super hot. The upstairs bedrooms were so stifling in the summer we broke down and bought window air conditioners even though we had central air. I had a HVAC guy come out and he basically said due to the age of the house it would be pretty hard to fix the HVAC issues unless we wanted to tear out walls and so forth. So we had to live with it. Our heating bills were around 200 a month in the winter and it was pretty tough paying that when we were freezing all the time.

We moved out of state and I live in a newer home that is 2000 sft. I was worried about affordability but honestly our heating and cooling bills are less here. I miss the charm of that old place but I feel more comfortable in our new house.
The house I live in now, the original part of it was built in 1932 and that amounts to only 1/3 of the house now due to add ons, some done before us and some we did. The original structure was nothing grand, but a small square box and when redoing the kitchen we found out the house was made of used and salvaged building materials. It was once a farmhouse with nothing around it but land. 30's during the depression, and they built it with what they could get I guess. Every room has a different heat source and one original bedroom has no heat and uses a plug in heater. We stay warm enough, but after having central heat in previous houses it does take some getting used to. The floor plan is odd and quirky, due to the way previous owners added on, but I love it.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:03 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,816,054 times
While there are certainly countless challenges of living in an old house, the character is priceless and I wouldn't bat an eye if I had to choose between an older house and a new, cookie-cutter one.

Very large, long, beautiful stained glass windows, high ceilings! (no, not 2-story ceilings, good old high ceilings), old looking real hardwood floors, heavy doors, beautiful doorknobs, unique woodwork on a staircase, etc. No amount of walk-in closets or stainless steel appliances can beat that.

Old 04-02-2011, 05:22 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,779,340 times
Some of the most expensive neighborhoods on the Planet have older homes. 200-300 years is not uncommon in Europe.

Old 04-03-2011, 12:36 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times
I wouldn't trade my sweet 1928 Spanish Revival for a newer house 3x the size ever. The architecture is as detailed as if it were a mansion and it just makes people point and smile when ever they walk or drive by.

You can update an older house without ruining it but you have to be very careful. We originally had 3 bedrooms (one in a lower, partially finished level) and 1 1/2 baths and managed to carve out a den from the lower level bedroom, finish off the rest of the level for another small bedroom and bath and now have a 3br/3ba +Den house that still looks like a tiny cottage from the front and the architectural integrity is intact in and out. Living in a older neighborhood with mature landscaping is icing on the cake and the house values here are very stable, actually still expensive at $500 to $600/s.f.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:19 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,950,661 times
I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum. I avoid buying any property older than the mid 1980's. It avoids lead and asbestos issues and the systems in place are still current and easy to replace if necessary. Not saying I won't buy older but it has to be a give away. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate