U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2011, 01:01 PM

28 posts, read 90,179 times

Advertisements

Hello, I meet with my realtor once a week to view around 6 houses. I really wanted to buy a house within 3 months and I am a VA buyer. Should I be meeting with my realtor more? Or is this pretty average?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 01:47 PM

143 posts, read 303,709 times
If there are houses out there that you want to look at prior to your weekly meeting, I don't think that it's unreasonable on your part to ask your agent to show them to you. I send new listing to my clients as they come in and if they want to look at something the day after I've shown them something else (or even the same property again for that matter), I'll be there. That's my job! Even though this is a buyer's market, the property that my client really wants to buy could be bought by someone else if we don't take action sooner than later.

Since you want to buy something in the next 3 months, it certainly doesn't sound like you are a client that is just a dreamer and therefor your agent should be willing to show you properties as you want...

Old 04-28-2011, 01:53 PM

You sound like a great realtor!! Thanks for the advice!!

Old 04-28-2011, 01:57 PM

143 posts, read 303,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrygreenfraggle View Post
You sound like a great realtor!! Thanks for the advice!!
I appreciate that...

Old 04-28-2011, 02:20 PM

667 posts, read 1,437,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrygreenfraggle View Post
Hello, I meet with my realtor once a week to view around 6 houses. I really wanted to buy a house within 3 months and I am a VA buyer. Should I be meeting with my realtor more? Or is this pretty average?

We just found our home
With kids in tow this is what worked best for my family. We do the initial online look using Zillow, Realtor, gsmls (NJ), and Trulia. We visited with our realtor and also looked at some homes. Very quickly we identified some HONEST parameters based on our criteria. We found it very helpful to be flexible BUT really to communicate what we wanted upfront -- ex: not a cape, not a split level, not on a main road, 3+ BR w/ 1.5+baths. But other things we were willing to compromise on, ex: sq ftg, garage, yard space, 'modern update amenities'.

So after seeing something online and/or based on our realtor's 'inside' scoop, she would then preview the homes for us. And what this would do is really help us focus in on what we were truly looking for while she weeded out what she knew woudln't work. We felt she was dead on. I realized the majority of the listings really weren't for us. So when we did connect with our realtor on the weekends we were looking at property that made the best of our time.

If it takes 3, 6 or 20 times to spend with a realtor , so be it. BUT make sure to make the best of your time by working toward narrowing down what you really want.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:37 PM

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to post back to me. I actually have done everything you mentioned. I even looked on zillow as well. I must of went through 400 listings on my own. When I picked the houses I liked the best my realtor told me that most were shortsales and she discouraged me from looking on my own. I was just wonding as too how many times a week people meet with there realtor on average because I only meet with mine once a week when I would prefer to meet with her more often. Maybe I'm just too impatient. Thanks again for posting back.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:54 PM

4 posts, read 13,559 times
If you will be buying within 3 months, your agent should show you homes constantly as soon as there's something available. Remember that your agent is simply someone you hired: if they don't do or act how you want, then find one that will. You shouldn't have to feel like your wondering whether or not an agent is doing their job. Trust me. Do you think you would feel that way with a top agent working for you?

There's a saying: 10% of the agents do 90% of the sales. So how experienced, really, are the majority of agents? ...just a thought to consider.

Concerning short sales, there are many people who I would suggest not buying a bank owned or short sale property BUT I don't ever say those words to them. I simply tell them what it is like (I tell them the truth) and then let them decide.

For example, a young couple looking to buy their first home together (usually) will not want to deal with banks on their first-ever transaction.

There's a lot of advice that we have for our buyers and sellers regarding short sales. So it can be a longer discussion.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:45 PM

Awsome advice!! I will keep that in mind. I can't tell if I'm horribly impatient (good chance) or if my fears are real. I'll give it a few more weeks and see. I just wish everything was moving quicker.
Thanks again!

Old 04-28-2011, 06:45 PM

4,480 posts, read 7,935,315 times
Realtors go for the hard sell. They find a good looking property then try and push you into the sale. Its worked forever and is very effective.

I only look on my own. I use zillow, trulia, realtor, etc to find the houses I want. Then I take a drive to see them so I don't waste the realtors time. If I like what I see I call my realtor to show it to me.

Pretty simple.

If any real estate agent ever discouraged me from seeing a property, I would simply stop calling them which equals no commission.

PS. Short sales are a waste of time. If you see "3rd party approval or short sale" just skip it. Very, very few short sales ever go through. Its a waste of time and energy.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:47 AM

1,513 posts, read 1,649,831 times
Since you are pre-qualified for a VA loan and have a time frame of 3 months, your agent should be on the ball trying to get you find something NOW. I would remind your agent of your time frame and that one time per week isn't enough. I wouldn't consider that being pushy or rude.

Also, an agent could possibly be doing you a favor on certain homes that might not fit your criteria. Sometimes certain homes won't qualify for certain types of financing or have private comments that say "Cash Only" "Cash, Conv or 203k Only" "Will not qualify for FHA or VA" "Do Not Show" "Short Sale Offer Submitted" "Back up offers only" etc.

So don't always think something underhanded is going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or