Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 10:51 AM

17 posts, read 70,950 times

Advertisements

We took our home off the market with a realtor we didn't care for and are putting it up again in a few days with a new one. As part of her package (as well as the companies package) she says she does a public open house and an open house for realtors. Do these really do any good?? I've heard so much about public open houses just being advertisement for the realtor and opportunities to find new buyers rather than an opportunity to sell the home in question. Do people really get anything out of public open houses? and what about agent open houses?? I can see how it would be useful if anyone actually came but come on, how many agents will actually show up? This company is really large and if every one of them has an agent open house for every new listing they are probably swamped to the point that they are ignored. any experience on these? opinions? are they a complete waste of time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 11:41 AM

1,375 posts, read 6,302,002 times
You just never know who might show up at an open house. It only takes one person...either a buyer, or someone who spreads the word to a friend, family member, etc.

Lots of varying opiniions...but what do you have to lose?

Old 08-01-2007, 12:52 PM

1,408 posts, read 8,019,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab0ad View Post
We took our home off the market with a realtor we didn't care for and are putting it up again in a few days with a new one. As part of her package (as well as the companies package) she says she does a public open house and an open house for realtors. Do these really do any good?? I've heard so much about public open houses just being advertisement for the realtor and opportunities to find new buyers rather than an opportunity to sell the home in question. Do people really get anything out of public open houses? and what about agent open houses?? I can see how it would be useful if anyone actually came but come on, how many agents will actually show up? This company is really large and if every one of them has an agent open house for every new listing they are probably swamped to the point that they are ignored. any experience on these? opinions? are they a complete waste of time?
Public open houses vary from market to market. Personally I feel like they work (I work for a RE office in marketing not as an agent) because they get people into your home. Do agents get buyers from the public open houses, yes they do but keep in mind the buyer did show up at your open house because they liked the house.

As for the agent only open house it's a nice way for agents to quickly view your property so they can go back to their clients and say oh yes i saw that home in addition all those things I spotted these features I know you're going to love mr and mrs buyer with lots of money.

Old 08-01-2007, 01:54 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,431,487 times
Default It sure was beneficial to us to have open house...

Even though, they are a huge pain in the neck, and a total inconvenience at times.
But, hey, I was complaining about them several months ago, but, THAT'S exactly what got our home SOLD!
You HAVE to create traffic....because pic's only tell so much.

Last edited by MB2; 08-01-2007 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: add

Old 08-01-2007, 02:36 PM

982 posts, read 3,485,867 times
Yes, open houses are a way for agents to pick up business, but it's also an opportunity to get the house sold quickly. Although I've never sold a house I held open, it's still not something I'm willing to give up on.

Old 08-01-2007, 03:36 PM

566 posts, read 2,984,335 times
I think that a well planned open house can be very beneficial. However, if all your agent does is throw an ad in the paper, pick up some balloons and plop down on the couch when he/she gets there, then it's 50/50 at best.

I think that the value in a Broker-Open is not in getting agents to preview the home for their clients, but in the feedback that they give. I often find that the feedback that is given is a huge factor in getting the home sold quickly.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:07 PM

189 posts, read 796,994 times
Default What do you mean by well planned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS827 View Post
I think that a well planned open house can be very beneficial. However, if all your agent does is throw an ad in the paper, pick up some balloons and plop down on the couch when he/she gets there, then it's 50/50 at best.

I think that the value in a Broker-Open is not in getting agents to preview the home for their clients, but in the feedback that they give. I often find that the feedback that is given is a huge factor in getting the home sold quickly.

I'm curious as to what you mean by well planned? I am trying to organize many things for the weekend so the house immaculate and w/ fresh flowers, the yard is well maintained, balloons, fresh baked goods, etc.

I suggested a few things to my realtor, but she didn't seem to receptive to them.

What type of experiences have others had in this situation?

Old 08-01-2007, 07:30 PM

1,507 posts, read 5,906,292 times
Default Big Loser

Today we had a Brokers Open House. Faxed flyers to local RE office & posted Realtors Open house on MLS.....signs out, coffee.

NO ONE showed up

So much for Middlesex County NJ Real Estate Agent being aggressive....

Old 08-01-2007, 07:43 PM

982 posts, read 3,485,867 times
New, in the area where I work, we offer lunch when we hold Broker's opens. Some of us will even offer incentives like drawings or gas cards. I won $500 yesterday for attending a broker's open!

Old 08-01-2007, 08:44 PM

566 posts, read 2,984,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pad3 View Post
I'm curious as to what you mean by well planned? I am trying to organize many things for the weekend so the house immaculate and w/ fresh flowers, the yard is well maintained, balloons, fresh baked goods, etc.

I suggested a few things to my realtor, but she didn't seem to receptive to them.

What type of experiences have others had in this situation?
Well, for one thing, timing is everything. So you should know what else is going on in your town. For example, if there is a big festival, concert, event or game that is going to keep people from coming, then you should hold off. I also go out a few nights before and place little notes on peoples door knobs to let them know about the upcoming open house and to tell them to stop by for some food and drinks. I do this in both the neighborhood that the open house is in as well as any surrounding rental communities. You can also send out postcards to "feeder" neighborhoods in the area - I define a feeder neighborhood as any neighborhood that has homes where people are likely to either trade up or down to the home your holding open. It should also be posted on every website you can think of. Make the open house an event. I have a small propane grill that I set up in the driveway and I'll cook up something simple like hotdogs and serve lemonade or iced tea. I always do my open houses with either a loan officer, title rep, or an agent we're training, so one of us can stay outside and the other can be in the house. The brochures should also be edited a week or two before to let people know that the house is being held open. It is a lot of work to put it all together, but it does pay off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate