Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2011, 07:53 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,006 times

Advertisements

....that 5-10 years from now (or whenever the general consensus is that housing has recovered) that people that have forclosures / short sales on their credit report will be able to get another loan?

Are lenders going to say "well...EVERYONE had a forclosure then so it's no big deal"?

Just something to think about and discuss...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 07:57 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,064,318 times
The banks/government need people to spend money. Bankruptcies are no longer a big deal. People with them get loans and credit cards. It won't even be a big deal for lenders to loan to people with foreclosurers. The people that got foreclosed on if they were smart they saved all that money they didn't pay on mortgage for the next home.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:00 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
The banks/government need people to spend money. Bankruptcies are no longer a big deal. People with them get loans and credit cards. It won't even be a big deal for lenders to loan to people with foreclosurers. The people that got foreclosed on if they were smart they saved all that money they didn't pay on mortgage for the next home.
thats a BIG if.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:20 PM

680 posts, read 1,920,629 times
You can get an FHA loan within 2-3 years if you have a bankruptcy or foreclosure on your record... people won't have to wait 5-10 years.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:03 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,905,462 times
I was just going to say, they already are getting loans. I have one couple that had a BK with a home in the BK. They thought it was 2 years for FHA to get another loan. They were crushed when I told them it was 3 years, as the home in the BK was treated like a foreclosure. We are now literally ticking off the days until August 2011, when they can close on another home.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:12 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Years ago, I had a woman who lost her job (before everyone did it) and filed for BK. After that, she found a new job and had excellent credit. She was able to buy her home 2 years after the BK was discharged.

However, I am hearing now that anyone with a foreclosure will have more problems getting a loan than if they just had a BK.

It will be interesting to see how it really works out.

Vicki

Old 05-12-2011, 05:22 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,905,462 times
We are having zero problems closing someone after two years with a BK. The key to a successful experience is to make sure to re-establish credit as soon as possible, to keep revolving balances to a minium (but do use them) and don't be late on anything (or face the re-setting of the clock before you can purchase).

I'm continually amazed by folks that want to do something almost immediately afterwards. There are provisions for exceptions to the published wait times, however, very few meet the "catestrophic" exception. I'll get a call, "I've lost my job" or "I got divorced" and you can hear in their voice, they expect to be able to buy now. Unfortunately, neither circumstance qualifies for the catestrophic definition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate