Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2011, 12:26 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggJoe4181 View Post
And it continues to be the mantra of realtors everywhere to keep us getting out of bed every morning. If for one second a realtor thought that the market was horrible they/we would be out of business. The day that I wake up and think to myself..."crap there is no way I'm going to sell a home in this horrible economy we are in right now" is the day I will voluntarily submit my real estate license to the NC Real Estate Commission and do something else.

I don't expect people to understand this way of thinking. I guess you'd need to walk in a realtor's shoes.
Heck, I am a REALTOR® and I don't understand that way of thinking. I am not a financial advisor, salesperson, or shill for the market.
And, there is a TON of alternative thought to "It is a great time to buy," vs., "The market is crap" and not worth buying in. Individuals have individual needs, wants, finances, and thought processes.

But, I don't try to sell people on owning to broker deals. I work with people who have made their decision.

The really odd one to me is REALTORS® who regularly spout "It is a great time to buy," to others but own no real estate, not even a primary residence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 12:39 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Heck, I am a REALTOR® and I don't understand that way of thinking. I am not a financial advisor, salesperson, or shill for the market.
And, there is a TON of alternative thought to "It is a great time to buy," vs., "The market is crap" and not worth buying in. Individuals have individual needs, wants, finances, and thought processes.

But, I don't try to sell people on owning to broker deals. I work with people who have made their decision.

The really odd one to me is REALTORS® who regularly spout "It is a great time to buy," to others but own no real estate, not even a primary residence.
Perhaps I am a different beast since I am on-site as opposed to general brokerage. My livelyhood depends on my ability think positive and stay positive.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:53 PM

143 posts, read 368,767 times
Quote:
Perhaps I am a different beast since I am on-site as opposed to general brokerage. My livelyhood depends on my ability think positive and stay positive.
Joe,

You are also working from a different perspective than most traditional agents... you work only for the seller and need to be positive on their behalf.

I don't think that there's anything wrong with being positive, but when working for the buyer we just need to keep in mind that not every property will be the right one for them and there are many factors to take into consideration when / if they decide to buy. We aren't in the business to make the decision to buy for them, but to show them properties that will work for them within the parameters that they provide to us. IT IS A GREAT TIME TO BUY... for some.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:54 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Fpor amny the rising xcost and never ending cost of renting makes a big difference whe they retire depedning on income then. Most I know think about this besides the worse options of renting in location.Just the same as most tend to do more maintainence before retiring or buy new if moving. Ceetainly anyone who things that maintainence etc is not included plus some profit in renting isn't thinking straight. Some may save money but then the location and place isn't one they would buy anyway.Most that rent histroically can't afford to buy;qaulify or can and do not want to really and pay for the convenience.That is why being a landlord even with management is profitable.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:00 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,027,209 times
Quote:
And it continues to be the mantra of realtors everywhere to keep us getting out of bed every morning. If for one second a realtor thought that the market was horrible they/we would be out of business. The day that I wake up and think to myself..."crap there is no way I'm going to sell a home in this horrible economy we are in right now" is the day I will voluntarily submit my real estate license to the NC Real Estate Commission and do something else.

I don't expect people to understand this way of thinking. I guess you'd need to walk in a realtor's shoes.
You probably shouldn't look at the latest release of new construction numbers then. lol

Old 05-24-2011, 01:01 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,778,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
LOL. Great point, Mike. I run names through the Assessor's database all the time. It sure is interesting the kind of dumb moves some of these folks make, and now they are actually SELLING you financial services (or trying to). I've noticed the locals, who have deep roots here, are even more likely to have upgraded to a deflating monstrosity during the "boom."

I can't afford to do business with someone who has to cough up 3000 per month in INTEREST to pay for an investment worth much less than they owe. Heck, I get a little ticked, when someone pulls up in my driveway driving a 40,000 Dollar pick-up truck, who wants to give me an estimate on a job that requires a 9th grade education. It just says they are not wise, and will rely on overcharging to pay for their foolishness.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:03 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Joe,
I think positive.
But, as Tanya pointed out, you are charged with selling and closing by your employer, whereas, once I have a client, my sales job is completed. I consult after that.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:11 PM

78,385 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I own a home. But... I do NOT think that rent is "throwing money away."

Especially not in the current RE market. Not even in my area, that is still doing fairly okay.

Rent pays for a place to live. Much in the same way that the electric bill pays for power and the cable bill pays for tv and/or internet service.

Why is rent "throwing money away?"

Unless you're being taxed excessively due to your very high income (which is not the case for most Americans) and want the write off, why on earth rush to buy in an unsure location/market?

I am a native of NC. My husband is a transplant of many years.

Both our companies are going through (again) the "we may have some layoffs" thing.

So... we are cautious about buying a larger home. We are looking, and if the right thing comes, we will buy it.

I read all the time about people desperate to grab a slice of the current market wherever they are located. If they don't have a large family that need shelter? I think they're nuts.

Why hurry? What is happening right this minute that makes people wanna buy a house?

I think the market is still sinking somewhat.

Interest rates appear to be good, but unless they're at 2%, I'm not gonna buy a house because of them.

I dunno.

Someone help me grasp this?
There can be short-term reasons for not buying like job uncertainty, inflated housing market and so on and so forth.

However, long-term when you look at the numbers home ownership in MOST CASES makes more financial sense generally due to the fact that the rent you pay includes a profit to the owner as well as an amount to cover the people that didn't pay their rent plus other misc. benefits.

P.S. Interest rates tend to have a strong impact on what houses sell for. So, ironically you may be better off buying for a lower price during high interest rates and then refinancing later on.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:01 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
You probably shouldn't look at the latest release of new construction numbers then. lol
You don't get it. I don't care what the numbers say. I don't have the luxury of thinking negatively. So post all the articles/charts/graphs you want. NOTHING is going to change how I think about the state of housing.

Old 05-24-2011, 03:38 PM

859 posts, read 2,828,667 times
When the housing market began to collapse a few years back I saw it coming and wisely sold my house before it was too late. I was one of the lucky few who made money on my house and was able to put it away for a future house.

Thankfully I was able to sell. Unfortunately the people I sold to where not so lucky as the house was on the market again about a year ago for around half of what they paid. I played around with the idea of buying it back but decided the whole transaction would have been too awkward.

My plan was to rent for a while and watch the market and see how far it dropped. I found a nice 3 bdrm 3 bath with a large garage for $1250 so I was happy and stayed there for about three yrs until the market bottomed out. Eventually the cost of renting became more than owning so I decided it was once again time to buy. I'm now living in a a much nicer home than I had before I sold and a much nicer home than I was renting and paying just a little more than the rental cost each month.

5 yrs ago I would tell you that renting was a good option as home prices where way beyond what the average family could buy. Today the market has changed. A 2 bdrm apartment in a crappy complex is $950 a month but nice 2 bedroom condos are under 100K and many 2 and 3 bdrm homes are under 200K. In today's market I feel renting is throwing your money away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate