U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 08:54 AM

5,307 posts, read 3,294,768 times

Advertisements

If this is a neighborhood with $500K homes, I'm assuming this motor home is more akin to a luxury coach, not a trashy looking small motor home that a relative might be living in or something. I don't see why such a thing would be detrimental to buying in such a neighborhood. The fact it's covered shows the owners take pride and care in the things they own.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:59 AM

576 posts, read 765,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Absolutely. Without a doubt.
It's real trashy looking and even more so in a higher dollar neighborhood.

I own an RV and several of my neighbors do as well.
But NONE of us park them on the street side of the house.
(mine is almost hidden between the garage and trees at the back edge of the lot)

And those wheel covers?
They indicate an intention for that rig to stay put in that spot.

Next!
As a potential buyer I would have to agree with this. Apparently there are no regulations, laws, HOA requirements, etc., for the use of the property. If someone is willing to park a huge motorhome out in the open then what next? How about the neighbor that decides to park their ratty work truck, or the guy that parks the grease dripping Roach Coach (mobile kitchen)?

I would not buy in an area that has no controls!

Old 05-23-2011, 10:23 AM

17,420 posts, read 23,253,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
If this is a neighborhood with $500K homes,

the price point of the homes is immaterial.

I'm assuming this motor home is more akin to a luxury coach, not a trashy looking small motor home that a relative might be living in or something.

assume nothing...
but the quality of the coach is also immaterial

The fact it's covered shows the owners take pride and care in the things they own.

only the wheels are covered but this too is immaterial

I don't see why such a thing would be detrimental to buying in such a neighborhood.
Why? Because this thing in the FRONT YARD.
That is why it absolutely "would be detrimental".

If the yards aren't large enough to park an RV then go rent a space at one of the MYRIAD RV storage lots.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:43 AM

5,758 posts, read 5,590,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
A nice house on my street ($500,000 range) is for sale. Two doors down from the house for sale, a neighbor has an RV parked in the driveway. The RV has white cloth wheel covers on all 4 wheels, but is a newer RV.

Do you think this RV parked so close to the house for sale will affect its chances of selling?
To answer this question directly: the answer is no, it will not affect the chances of the home selling. It has nothing to do with the home, the motorhome/RV whatever... will be moved when the owners move.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:09 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,250,755 times
Maybe a potential buyer will come along that also have a passion for RVing...Seeing another RVer down the road might help them make the decision.

There's a house out there for everyone!

Old 05-23-2011, 03:59 PM

2,257 posts, read 1,481,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Why? Because this thing in the FRONT YARD.
That is why it absolutely "would be detrimental".

If the yards aren't large enough to park an RV then go rent a space at one of the MYRIAD RV storage lots.
Actually the OP said it was in the driveway. Right where vehicles belong. OMG!!! EVEN the bigger than Corrolla ones. I'd be pretty POed if someone parked ANYTHING in my front yard/lawn though, and rather perplexed if a neighbor parked on their own instead of the driveway. Glad I don't live in your overly obssesive control freak world.

Old 05-23-2011, 04:32 PM

16,426 posts, read 22,750,220 times
Of course, it depends on the neighborhood, but I'd have to say no, for most people. If it's a neighborhood with an HOA, and it's not in violation of the HOA rules, then that would indicate that it is a neighborhood where parking an RV that may be almost as much as the house is acceptable.

"Trashy" is in the eye of the beholder. There are some who think that if the grass is a quarter of an inch longer than their personal preference (no matter whether it's good for the grass or not), that is "trashy".

And, as noted, the RV was not parked in the front yard, it was described as parked in the driveway, which is, of course, designed for such things.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:07 PM

2,192 posts, read 3,427,288 times
As stated, it depends on the neighborhood. Anyone who says a blanket "yes it will effect home sales" without knowing the details is silly.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:03 PM

3,019 posts, read 3,886,064 times
I think if it stays there more than a few days it will impact the sales value of the houses in the neighborhood. Buyers ask questions like - is that legal? How long are they allowed to leave it there? What else might be left on the streets/in the driveways (boats also raise eyebrows). Why doesn't the city/HOA do anything about it? The 1 RV might not be the issue, but the concern of future eyesores in the neighborhood will be an issue.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:12 PM

1,482 posts, read 3,043,591 times
So how does one quantify the loss in value for an RV parked two houses down?

I can see that it might turn some persnickety buyers off. But will all the home prices in the neighborhood fall?

I just don't see that in my market. We only have a few gated/ HOA/ really restrictive neighborhoods in my area. Some require you to park boats and RVs int he back yard behind a fence which is not unreasonable. The great majority of our neighborhoods just have restrictive covenants that require you to sue the offender to get the violation removed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate