Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 04:17 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parti Rhinocéros View Post
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I completely agree with Mr. Rational.
That's OK... I don't take it personally

Old 06-03-2011, 05:35 PM

45,373 posts, read 60,546,019 times
2011 American Revolution Models (http://www.americancoach.com/brandtomodel/models.aspx?brand=americanrevolution - broken link)

Note the MSRP.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Note the MSRP.
Are you implying that the value of the thing has anything to do with being able to ignore the MASS of the thing sitting there every time your neighbor goes in and out of their front door?

Because that is the real issue... that MASS sitting there ALL. THE. TIME.
---

FTR: Everyone in my non HOA neighborhood who owns an RV (including me) keeps them at the BACK of their lot.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:02 PM

45,373 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Are you implying that the value of the thing has anything to do with being able to ignore the MASS of the thing sitting there every time your neighbor goes in and out of their front door?

Because that is the real issue... that MASS sitting there ALL. THE. TIME.
---

FTR: Everyone in my non HOA neighborhood who owns an RV (including me) keeps them at the BACK of their lot.

If your neighbor has this

will you try to ban it?

I ask because a ban on these came up last night at the local Town Council meeting. To go with the ban enacted last year on RVs following the ban on boats enacted 5 years ago (note my location for that one).

Argument is the same: causes a drop in property values. I'd like to see the data on that.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I ask because a ban on these came up last night at the local Town Council meeting. Argument is the same: causes a drop in property values. I'd like to see the data on that.
First... *I* never said anything about banning anything...
but I still appreciate the reasons for the underlying intent.

Like most things it's not that "good 'ol Joe down the block" has his X parked out by the road... it's when the other 10 people on the street decide that what Joe is doing created an entre' for them and so they want or should be allowed to have an X in their driveway too... or worse an X and ten a Y or an even bigger X and so on.

You're a smart guy... you know this stuff.
---

But if invited to settle this sort of dispute I'd go along the lines of the nature of the vehicle dictates it. Like my buddy with the limo company gets grief from his small town if he has the 36 foot stretch at the house or my electrician friend with the E350 loaded down with ladders on top and the graphics on the side... something along those lines.

As to the RV and boats on trailers and similar RECREATIONAL and non daily driver personal use vehicles visible at the roadway... I guess I've covered that view already. park 'em in back or park 'em somewhere else.

But there's always a few in every group who will always want to push the limits...
some seem to look for opportunities to do so.

It's when folks refuse to do the right thing without being told to -or even accept that they have any responsibility beyond their own property line- that zoning laws and then HOA's get enacted.
---

Old 06-03-2011, 07:56 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,871,752 times
I have no responsibility beyond my property line. I bought it, I paid for it, and I feel the same about my neighbors' lots.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:01 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,871,752 times
Actually, this is a few houses up from me. The ... box pile has only gotten bigger since the Google StreetView van went by.

http://www.cicchini.org/MapleAvenue/TooOldForACardboardFortress.jpg (broken link)

He's a bit crazy (Actually, I'd place him as pretty definitely schizophrenic at least) and lived 30 years homeless before he came into some money and got a house, but he's harmless.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:21 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
If someone's buying a $100,000 house, they probably don't care what vehicle is parked anywhere. But if someone's buying a $500,000 house, the buyer will care and very possibly consider that it's tacky to have a RV or boat in the driveway, and buy elsewhere.
Tackiness, or the lack thereof, has nothing to do with the price of the home.

As your posts in this thread have proven.

Quote:
The folks who prefer HOA's are interested in keeping the neighborhood looking nice, and this keeps the prices of the homes up.
Millions of people manage to keep their neighborhood looking nice, and without the nitpicky, arbitrary pressure of an HOA. They do it just because they have pride in their homes and their neighborhoods.

Imagine that!

Quote:
I simply wish I had an HOA neighborhood.
You could move.

Bet that would make your neighbors happy.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:09 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,370,428 times
Default Selling the House is an Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Tackiness, or the lack thereof, has nothing to do with the price of the home.

As your posts in this thread have proven.

Millions of people manage to keep their neighborhood looking nice, and without the nitpicky, arbitrary pressure of an HOA. They do it just because they have pride in their homes and their neighborhoods.

Imagine that!

You could move.

Bet that would make your neighbors happy.
I'd love to move! However, unless you have been hiding under a rock, you must know that the housing market stinks and it is a terrible time to try to sell a home.

Tackiness in the neighborhood has a great deal to do with the looks and salability of a home. Just ask any qualified realtor. A home in a nice, welll-kept neighborhood (whether it has an HOA or not) sells quicker and for a better price.

I do not understand the vindictive quality of some of the posts here. People seem very hostile--perhaps they have some other issues.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
I do not understand the vindictive quality of some of the posts here.
People seem very hostile--perhaps they have some other issues.
I suspect their issues are based in something like owning an RV or maybe a motor boat kept on a trailer...
which is left parked in their driveway 300+ days out of the year,

and not wanting to be told that it looks like crap...
and that their neighbors really do notice and really do hate seeing it...
and that it DOES hurt their other neighbors chance to sell...
(at a better price or even to sell at all)

But what really gets them is when these so very very simple facts of life are told to them
by people who also own RV's and motor boats but don't abuse their relationships with their neighbors.

Sound about right to you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate