Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 12:29 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
The OP's offer isn't a lowball that he wrote on here. That's a serious offer in my book.
OP stated earlier that there have been several offers made in the past. Yet, OP still hasn't gone under contract.

And 5% off asking might be too low. We don't know the situation with this particular house. Maybe the price is already highly competitive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 03:06 PM

165 posts, read 588,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
Do you really interupt a listing presentation to take a call?
Yes, I do, and I have never had anyone get angry. I make my living by that phone, it must be answered. I don't stay on with them, I simply find out who it is, let them know I'm with someone else and their call is important to me and that way they don't call someone else. I call them back as soon as I'm done.

If the agent in question would answer her phone this thread would be unnecessary.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:19 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
The problem is the agent in the thread doesn't answer or return calls. I turn my ringer off before I go into appointments. If it's important they'll leave a message but I think it's rude and a distraction to the person I'm sitting in front of to take that call. If someone did that to me when I was a client I'd be pretty turned off.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:55 PM

41 posts, read 96,931 times
Good point. Although I am the one who is complaining, maybe i am the one should be blamed.

But I am really curious, will you fire a client who is eager to submit an offer? and you have already known that he will put 50% down, the other 50% will be paid off in five years? and you have already known his credit is more than 740? and he is earning 120k per year? do you think he is not a serious buyer?

btw, we are in TEXAS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
To be fair to your agent, she's probably got other clients, and while you wouldn't want her answering calls while she was with you, maybe she's affording the other client the same courtesy.

Look at the last few posts of yours. I know that this is a BIG deal to you, and it should be, but your Realtor can't be expected to be sitting staring at their phone for YOUR call. Should they get back to you in a timely manner? Yes. But you're expecting immediate action, and sometimes that's just not possible.

The best way to handle this is set expectations up front. My clients know that I will respond to them when I'm free, and if I'm not, I'll get back to them when I am. They know that if they want me, and the level of success I can bring, I won't be at their beck & call, though I'll still be available. If they want a hungry agent that's starving for business, they can get that too.

To be honest, you seem to be quite on edge and your attitude towards your agent may be coming into play too. I've had clients that where EVERYTHING has been an emergency, even though there's no such thing as a "real estate emergency" and they're incredibly difficult to deal with because the world obviously revolves around them. Make sure you're not that client, because you will have a very tough time finding folks that will be able to please you.

And though you'll blame it on them, the problem most likely won't be them. I've fired clients like this in the past and it's such a load off when I do.

Talk to your agent in person. Don't get on a message board and get yourself worked up. It's worse in your head than it is in real life.
when she is on showing. she is always answering her client's call. It is totally fine with me. Maybe she is busy, but what she need to do is just to pick up the phone and said, "xx, i am sorry i cannot talk to you now. i will call you back." it is totally understandable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy333 View Post
Yes, I do, and I have never had anyone get angry. I make my living by that phone, it must be answered. I don't stay on with them, I simply find out who it is, let them know I'm with someone else and their call is important to me and that way they don't call someone else. I call them back as soon as I'm done.

If the agent in question would answer her phone this thread would be unnecessary.
Our first offer price was low, but the agent said the house was not in good condition. she said it is OK, and we did get an counter offer. but we walked away eventually because the counter price was too high.

The second is because of the inspection. Too many big problems!

And here is the third one. The appraisal price for this house is only 267k, and there is no other offer.

QUOTE=meh_whatever;19371168]OP stated earlier that there have been several offers made in the past. Yet, OP still hasn't gone under contract.

And 5% off asking might be too low. We don't know the situation with this particular house. Maybe the price is already highly competitive.[/quote]

Last edited by Marka; 05-31-2011 at 01:18 AM..

Old 05-30-2011, 06:43 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,224,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy333 View Post

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but if you were interviewing me to sell my most valuable asset and took a call from somebody else, I would not consider hiring you, in fact I would probably ask to you to pack up your stuff and leave. I remember hosting an open house a few years back and an agent walked in while on her phone with a young couple, stayed on the phone the entire time and waved to me while leaving with her clients without getting off that call. That agent is now out of the field an in a training position for that office. Early in my sales career I was trained that the prospect you are with face to face deserves your full attention. Maybe it's because I set expectations properly and use Buyer and Seller agency agreements, but I've never lost anybody who got my voice mail that said I was not available at the moment and then called back within minutes or hours.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:42 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,427,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaare View Post
Good point. Although I am the one who is complaining, maybe i am the one should be blamed.

But I am really curious, will you fire a client who is eager to submit an offer? and you have already known that he will put 50% down, the other 50% will be paid off in five years? and you have already known his credit is more than 740? and he is earning 120k per year? do you think he is not a serious buyer?

btw, we are in TEXAS.
I absolutely would. I'm blessed to be in the position where I don't NEED business, because I've got so many loyal clients. Just because you're ready to make an offer doesn't mean that you're easy to work with. I've actually recently fired a client because they made 2 offers, and immediately decided they didn't want the houses and backed out.

I'm not saying YOU'RE the problem, because honestly there's too much to find out about the situation that we can't get from a few posts, but take a step back and see if there's blame on both sides, or just one. If it's truly just one (ie. your agent), definitely get another agent that can work with you. But if you can see fault on BOTH sides, have a heart to heart with your agent and re-set expectations. You may find that it creates a great working relationship and you get someone that'll go to bat with you.

I can tell you that if you find an agent with NOTHING to do except jump for YOUR call, you may want to reconsider, because you may want to find one that's good enough to be busy. As a heavy listing agent, I LOVE seeing new agents on the other side of a transaction, because I know I'll be able to completely control that transaction from start to end.

Last edited by Marka; 05-31-2011 at 09:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate