Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 08:10 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Great ideas! I will only let those who are pre-qualified even see the house. The reason I am selling now is in part because of the wacko next door and I don't see things turning around for YEARS. I don't like where I live (the town) so it's time to move on. Since values are tanking everywhere, for the most part, I guess it means I'll pay less elsewhere.
You are on the internet, and very bad advice is rampant, so be on your toes.
Making it harder then necessary to show your home is one way to attempt to ensure you will have it to sell when you envision the market turning around in YEARS. You can inflict serious financial pain on yourself without much effort.

Most buyers are not going to front their prequal, which is generally worthless anyway when compared to a preapproval, to gain entry to a typical house.
Now, if it is a multi-million dollar manse, and you enjoy some personal fame, screening out the hoi polloi is not a bad idea.

Get all of your valuables out of the house that you possibly can for marketing and showing.

The wacko will know you are selling. Wackos always do.
The sign is hardly an issue, either way, although, if it is common and typical, forgoing it will make marketing a little tougher.
At least make sure your home's street number is clearly identifiable from the street. I like (NOT) the homes without a sign and with no street number for identifying the property. The opportunity to cruise back and forth a couple of times to conclude we are at the right property is seldom appreciated, by my clients or me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 08:23 PM

1,844 posts, read 3,937,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
When I bought recently there was so much inventory we were looking for reasons not to see houses. Jumping through hoops would have just crossed another house off the list.
Yes, I agree with this post.

Another thought - - property values in your neighborhood will be influenced by the price at which your home sells. Your problem neighbor would be shooting himself in the foot with the pink flamingos. Even if he doesn't care, some of the other neighbors are likely to have a little talk with him about it and demand that he stop.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:24 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,995,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
I know in our Florida neighborhood, the rule is no for sale signs in the yard.....they always put one in the window.

Frank
Ah, very interesting Frank. I wonder why they have that rule. That would seem to indicate this is in part a regional thing.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:27 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,983,419 times
Unless your area has really restrictive ordinances then I can't see why you would not want a sign. You want exposure for the property in ever yway possible. The same with a lockbox. The way real estate is done today is buyers working with a buyer's agent use the lock box to see your home. Trying to get the listing agent to come out to open the door would be frustrating. With so many homes on the market I would skip your house with no lockbox as too hard to view.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2SGF View Post
Yes, I agree with this post.

Another thought - - property values in your neighborhood will be influenced by the price at which your home sells. Your problem neighbor would be shooting himself in the foot with the pink flamingos. Even if he doesn't care, some of the other neighbors are likely to have a little talk with him about it and demand that he stop.
While I agree with your rational and thought out post, I think I am dealing with a real nutcase here who would not care. In fact, he told me via email that if he had wanted to build an aluminum can for a house on his property that would have been his right to do so. There's a little history here.

Basically, I am dealing with a rich spoiled brat who is still a child and, while I do not think he has full blown narcissistic personality disorder or is a sociopath (although the jury is still out on that one), I do believe I am dealing with someone who could not care less if he shot himself in the foot as his plan is to live in that house for 18 years. Why? Because he is so special.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faabala View Post
Unless your area has really restrictive ordinances then I can't see why you would not want a sign. You want exposure for the property in ever yway possible. The same with a lockbox. The way real estate is done today is buyers working with a buyer's agent use the lock box to see your home. Trying to get the listing agent to come out to open the door would be frustrating. With so many homes on the market I would skip your house with no lockbox as too hard to view.
Ok, I hear what you are saying. However, realtors make a decent commission and this is a slow period so let them work for that X percent. If a listing agent doesn't want to take the time to make arrangements, so be it. All I know is that the guy I bought this house from didn't have one and I bought this house and I hated having one in my last house. I did agree to a lockbox in my last house as I thought I had no choice but also I was gone 12 hours each day so it was necessary to have a lockbox. Now that I am always home and have the pets to deal with anyway, I see no reason for a lockbox. I could let the buyers in myself.

Is there some sort of hybrid arrangement out there whereby some of the traditional rules/roles shift and a realtor is involved but I am as well? I don't want to do a for sale by owner, but I don't need all the control of a realtor either.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:44 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times
Quote:
As I said, I do not want the neighbor sabotaging any sale.

There is something very off about him and I would not put the pink flamingos past him at all.

In fact, I did some snooping to see just what kind of real estate he deals in. Well, it's commercial so there's a good chance he is not sitting around looking through the MLS listings. Also, you know Linkedin, the site, right? Linkedin is for professionals and it's a no nonsense site. Well, under specialties on his profile he says "I am very special." He also described himself as HEAD PEON (his caps) in his summary under one of his jobs - and we're to believe he is President of his commercial real estate company. I tell you, I think I am dealing with a real wacko here and the less he knows the better.
Have you checked with your local enforcement/licensing agency? I understand why you want to stay away from him! But, what if he is glad to see you leave and finds buyers for you? Be strong, listen to your gut. I hope your buyer comes along soon and you can be rid of him. Maybe, your buyer would like pink flamingos? You can't control what he is going to do so don't let him define who you are.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Ok, I hear what you are saying. However, realtors make a decent commission and this is a slow period so let them work for that X percent. If a listing agent doesn't want to take the time to make arrangements, so be it. All I know is that the guy I bought this house from didn't have one and I bought this house and I hated having one in my last house. I did agree to a lockbox in my last house as I thought I had no choice but also I was gone 12 hours each day so it was necessary to have a lockbox. Now that I am always home and have the pets to deal with anyway, I see no reason for a lockbox. I could let the buyers in myself.

Is there some sort of hybrid arrangement out there whereby some of the traditional rules/roles shift and a realtor is involved but I am as well? I don't want to do a for sale by owner, but I don't need all the control of a realtor either.

A contract should represent a meeting of the minds...an agreement. There are a lot of salespeople out there so if one doesn't like YOUR terms...on to the next. Remember, it is only a blank form drafted by their lawyers, not yours which is why you need legal representation for one of the largest transactions of your life.

You can modify any contract you like just be sure to get all the changes initialed prior to signing. AND, watch the paper. When we modified a contract once, the salesperson had slid a piece of paper between the sheets so his initialing didn't show up. Sneaky, but I'm no dummy either...kicked his ---to the curb while laughing.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Have you checked with your local enforcement/licensing agency? I understand why you want to stay away from him! But, what if he is glad to see you leave and finds buyers for you? Be strong, listen to your gut. I hope your buyer comes along soon and you can be rid of him. Maybe, your buyer would like pink flamingos? You can't control what he is going to do so don't let him define who you are.
I don't quite follow your question. Yes, I have checked in with *law* enforcement to date over this whole situation and I do know he has some sort of RE license until 2014. I have to LOL, as I have nothing against pink flamingos per se, just not in my neighborhood. Maybe in FL it would work just great. Funny thing is, the house he bought had a fake metal cactus thingy in the front with fake yellow flowers. He currently does live in a pink house. Oh, I know too much. Thanks for your support!

Old 05-30-2011, 08:56 PM

[quote=MikeJaquish;19376320]You are on the internet, and very bad advice is rampant, so be on your toes.

EXACTLY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate