Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 08:22 PM

17 posts, read 74,915 times

Advertisements

Here's our situation: We interviewed several realtors to sell our home. We chose one (called Realtor 1) but have not signed any contracts yet. We gave her a verbal OK, we want to hire you.

Realtor 1 wants us to remove the wallpaper in our kitchen & bathroom and paint first, before listing on the MLS. We are getting estimates to do the work, but most companies are doing outside painting now and so our project won't be done until sometime in July.

Today we got an email from Realtor 2, also someone I interviewed to sell our home. She has a colleague with a buyer and wants to ask us for a "One Party Listing". It sounds like there is some urgency on the part of the buyer to find a home and ours might fit the bill.

Does this mean Realtor 2 would be our listing (selling) agent, and her colleague would be the buyer's agent? Where does this leave Realtor 1? (I don't want to do FSBO).

I asked Realtor 1 about this, and they want us to wait until our wallpaper/painting project is done. We are concerned the buyer can't wait that long.

What to do? We are looking for some advice and/or explanations from you good people out there.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 08:31 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,666,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthpurple View Post
Here's our situation: We interviewed several realtors to sell our home. We chose one (called Realtor 1) but have not signed any contracts yet. We gave her a verbal OK, we want to hire you.

Realtor 1 wants us to remove the wallpaper in our kitchen & bathroom and paint first, before listing on the MLS. We are getting estimates to do the work, but most companies are doing outside painting now and so our project won't be done until sometime in July.

Today we got an email from Realtor 2, also someone I interviewed to sell our home. She has a colleague with a buyer and wants to ask us for a "One Party Listing". It sounds like there is some urgency on the part of the buyer to find a home and ours might fit the bill.

Does this mean Realtor 2 would be our listing (selling) agent, and her colleague would be the buyer's agent? Where does this leave Realtor 1? (I don't want to do FSBO).

I asked Realtor 1 about this, and they want us to wait until our wallpaper/painting project is done. We are concerned the buyer can't wait that long.

What to do? We are looking for some advice and/or explanations from you good people out there.

Thanks!
How much is Realtor asking for commission. If she's asking for the full 6% say you have an agent and to submit an offer. If not decide(and she's asking for 3 or 4 percent) then you have to decide if you want representation versus the extra money. Forget about waiting for the wallpaper. If the buyer makes a good offer(your agent should know what a good offer is) then sell the guy the house.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:32 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,575,100 times
Realtor 2 justs wants an agreement that covers her buyer client, she won't be your listing agent - you are essentially selling FSBO but paying a buyer agent commission. If you sell to her client you are done, if not you can go ahead and list with Realtor 1. Or you can go ahead and get Realtor 1 to list now which would give you representation in dealing with Realtor 2.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:38 AM

1,024 posts, read 4,137,763 times
This sounds hockey. The prospective buyer hasn't even seen the house yet. Ask you agent to list the house now, with marketing remarks that improvements are scheduled. If the house is on the MLS and fits the prospective buyer's bill, the buyer's agent will notice it.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:42 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
I've had this happen and sold the house, too. In my case, the realtor was actively seeking for a buyer and my house met the criteria. It was fine; a one-time listing.

But, back then I did agree to the usual 6% commission because I was not as experienced as I have become. That 6% commission usually covers advertising for the property. I would suggest you go ahead and agree to the one-party listing but cut your commission agreement to 3% for the simple reason that the realtor will be representing the buyer in this case and you will be more like a FSBO seller. I have had a lot of luck doing flat fee listings and paying the selling agent the 3% commission and this is not unlike that situation except no one even paid for the MLS listing b/c there isn't one. Tell Realtor #2 that is the deal and I betcha the realtor will agree.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:55 AM

17 posts, read 74,915 times
Thanks everyone. I forgot to mention that when I first talked to Realtor 2, she gave us a low-ball estimate on listing our house. Now when she's asking for a "One Party Listing", she wants to list at our desired price ($25,000 - $30,000 more than she first suggested).

Can't say that I totally trust her!

Old 06-02-2011, 10:16 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
sounds like she has a buyer who wants something close to what you have.
I don't see anything to lose by letting it happen (for one buyer and one week or so?)...
either they come up with an offer contract and offer or they don't.

the issue is what contingencies they might want to have and how complicated that can make things
but again... if they have their pre-quals in place and your house isn't a wreck...

go for it.
---
if you don't already have your own RE attorney... NOW is the time to find one.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:18 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Is it possible to have agent 1 represent you in this transcation and not have it listed on the MLS?

Old 06-02-2011, 11:40 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Is it possible to have agent 1 represent you in this transcation and not have it listed on the MLS?
I have had agents quote me 1.5% to represent me in a single transaction when I have offer in hand. Just like the single-party listing, its for a single-party offer. The OP could ask Realtor #1 if she is interested, she may be -- especially if she will get the listing of the deal doesn't happen. At any rate I don't see that the owner should be shelling out 6% for this kind of deal; no one realtor is having to do all the usual full service work to get this property sold.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:43 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,575,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Yes. That should be what agent 1 is proposing. MLS is not needed for this situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate