Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2011, 05:37 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,576,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
...A non-permanent option be available. Rigid covers are available that can be "locked down" either with the pool emptied or filled with stagnant water dosed with high concentrations of fungicide....
I've also seen owners build a deck over the pool that can be removed if a new owner wants to use the pool.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 07:12 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
In the Dallas area, generally a pool adds value (my son lives there).

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 06-18-2011, 12:06 AM

416 posts, read 637,250 times
As a quick FYI...filling in a pool or covering a pool is not the same as keeping water in it. both concepts have a serious drawback: if you live in a seasonally wet area, an empty pool or partially "weighted" pool (i.e. one with little water or backfilled with soil) can actually be pushed up out of the ground as the surrounding soil gets saturated by rainfall (or maybe you spring a leak in the irrigation system underground) ...then you will have a bigger problem on your hands.

buy a house without a pool or better yet there are great "older" communities that offer "condo" like living with package type deals to cover all utilities, food, etc but allow the person 100% freedom (some even come with 24/7 assistance if ever needed)...just food for thought

Old 06-18-2011, 04:48 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,344,024 times
From my perspective of having bought two houses with above ground swimming pools, a pool reduces significantly the number of people who will ever be interested in buying the property. In other words, if you have a purple house, you have to find someone who wants a purple house and that is not, by any means, the majority of the home shoppers market.

One of my houses is a farm house in west Texas with a 150,000 gallon round steel swimming pool that probably is not applicable to your situation in Dallas. The very rural setting here makes this pool a none issue for its use, removal or modification. This pool I plan to make into a storage building.

The other house is in Albuquerque may be more applicable to a Dallas situation. I bought the house with a really nice large 15'x33' above ground pool and immediately gave to my son-in-law if he would remove it. Being young he thought, "what a deal!" He found that it was a job and a half because the ribs that underlay the pool were all underground. The redwood deck had to be disassembled to get it through the back gate in pieces. And too, I was left with a big oval hole in my lawn. My son-in-law kept it a year before giving it away to another young person.

In summary, if I did not want a pool, I would not buy a house with one. They are a liability that cost money even when they are sitting there unused.

Last edited by High_Plains_Retired; 06-18-2011 at 05:03 PM..

Old 06-19-2011, 01:56 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,871,304 times
If the guy doesn't want to live in a retirement community, quit suggesting it. Jeez, not all older people need to be pushed off ASAP.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:17 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,576,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
From my perspective of having bought two houses with above ground swimming pools, a pool reduces significantly the number of people who will ever be interested in buying the property. ...
Not all pools are equal. Above ground pools are generally less desirable no matter where they're located. In my area, removing an above ground would likely increase the home value, but removing an inground would likely decrease value (assuming both were in good working condition).

Old 06-20-2011, 11:34 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,612,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
Not all pools are equal. Above ground pools are generally less desirable no matter where they're located. In my area, removing an above ground would likely increase the home value, but removing an inground would likely decrease value (assuming both were in good working condition).
Bingo. Years ago, I gave away an above ground pool that was only 3 years old, just to get rid of it when we converted our home into a rental property. They add no value whatsoever, typically. Good quality in ground pools such as a gunnite pool, will usually add to the market value of the property. But the market value increase is typically only a fraction of the cost. In nice neighborhoods of Texas, you'll often find that there as many shoppers looking for a house with a pool versus those who "wouldn't have" a home with a pool.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:12 PM

64 posts, read 195,482 times
I don't think you're crazy at all to be considering this. I suggest you find someone locally to talk to about filling a pool. Then, if you narrowed down your property search to 1-2 homes, you could perhaps get that person to come to the house with you. I think the cost of removing or filling a pool can depend on how easy you can get equiptment into the back yard (among other things).

there is an interesting thread on filling pools here: Thoughts on removing an inground swimming pool - Buying and Selling Homes Forum - GardenWeb

Old 06-21-2011, 11:58 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,621,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Slow down.

Elderly father? Live near you? Does not want cost / upkeep / accident risk?

WHY IN THE WORLD would you be shopping for a place for this man to live on his own? Probably makes MORE SENSE to rent or find retirement community.

IF (and that is ONE HUGE IF...) there some good reason that he should be buying a house AND most / all available homes do have pools that is a VERY GOOD SIGN that other buyers will PROBABLY not be interested in this property without a pool.

A non-permanent option be available. Rigid covers are available that can be "locked down" either with the pool emptied or filled with stagnant water dosed with high concentrations fo fungicide. That should be explored. Depending on what the pool is filled with, it may be possible to temporarly drain it, block the filter ports and dump in a mix of filter sand and perlite than top that with standard "winter" cover. Should future buyers wish to re-use the pool that may be a way to "semi-suspend" the pool...
Depending on how eldrerly he is, i would think to rent an apartment. My Aunt took her mother down to Florida where they live, she is 93, they bought her a villa, less than one year later they had to put her into assisted living, I believe she broke a hpi....now they are stuck with the Villa.

What on Earth would make an elderly person BUY something.....now how elderly is your Father...if above 60, better to rent, you will save yourself a lot of headaches.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:57 PM

409 posts, read 872,774 times
I don't think its a crazy question since I thought about it myself. I too live in Dallas and most of the houses in the area I'm interested in have pools. I absolutely don't want a pool so this narrows down the suitable available houses for me. Its amazing, people that have lots as small as .15 manages to shoehorn a pool in. Often wondered if I'm the only person in Dallas who doesn't want want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate