Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 01:23 PM

40 posts, read 300,348 times

Advertisements

I have two offers on my home and need free advice on which one is better.

Offer 1 : Full price, pay in cash, contingent on selling current home for which a P&S has been signed. Scheduled closing for their home sale is 6/28.

Offer 2 : Full price + $3K. Spoke w/ mortgage broker and are strong buyers, need 85% financing.

Offer 1 is great because it's cash but the possibility exists for their home sale to fall through. Offer 2 is great because it's more money but they'll need to get financing which could fall through.

Any thoughts? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 01:27 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
So which is more likely to happen: Sale falls through or mortgage gets denied?

How far along is the first buyer? Have they had inspections yet? Does the buyer still have a period where they could back out?

Does the second buyer have a pre-qual or pre-approval? That can be a big difference? Would they be willing to share their credit score with you?

Either way I'm not sure you would be doing much more than guessing.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:32 PM

The buyer for the other house is a developer. We think they are going to raze the house and rebuild. There was no mortgage contingency in their P&S (which I and my lawyer have read). They appear to be fairly well along.

Don't know much about the other party. They are pre-approved.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:35 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,105,878 times
I would be worth asking if offer one would consider removing that contingency. Who knows? They might if they like the house enough and I'm sure they know that in this market it is hard to sell and therefore a lot to ask of a seller to consider excepting. I can't figure out why they need to make an offer that way if they are paying cash. I think in most cases this is done because they buyer can't handle two house payments for very long.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:37 PM

505 posts, read 2,335,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newton126 View Post

Offer 1 : Full price, pay in cash, contingent on selling current home for which a P&S has been signed. Scheduled closing for their home sale is 6/28.

Offer 2 : Full price + $3K. Spoke w/ mortgage broker and are strong buyers, need 85% financing.

Offer 1 is great because it's cash but the possibility exists for their home sale to fall through. Offer 2 is great because it's more money but they'll need to get financing which could fall through. +1 on asking them to remove the contingency - I didn't even think of that initially...although if their buyer doesn't close they are still contingent....

Any thoughts? Thanks.
I would ask to see if Offer 1's buyer has a mortgage commitment yet and ask to see it if they do. The mortgage commitment will pretty much tell you the likelyhood of that deal falling through or not.

Offer 2: If the lender has already looked at all the buyers documents (pay stubs, tax returns, bank statements etc) and there are no red flags then there should be nothing wrong with this deal either - unless you expect appraisals to be a problem.

In the end it's going to be the one that you are most comfortable with not falling through. I have to say, in this market it's great to have 2 full price offers to have to decide between!

Old 06-09-2011, 01:38 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,105,878 times
OOOPs. I think I get it. They won't have the cash unless their other house sells? Please disregard my first post.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:41 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
I would not accept offer #2 until they produced a pre-approval letter from their bank. If they will be financed by the bank, the letter is easy enough to get. Why is cash better than a check from the bank for more money?

Old 06-09-2011, 01:50 PM

505 posts, read 2,335,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I would not accept offer #2 until they produced a pre-approval letter from their bank. If they will be financed by the bank, the letter is easy enough to get. Why is cash better than a check from the bank for more money?
Because for $3000 you don't have to worry about the whole mortgage contingency which will cover the buyer from not qualifying for any reason - which nowadays can be as simple as having a large deposit in your bank account to not having enough reserves in your bank account.

Now 10K+ I would take a mortgaged offer over cash any day of the week.

Old 06-09-2011, 02:00 PM

487 posts, read 1,358,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newton126 View Post

Offer 1 is great because it's cash but the possibility exists for their home sale to fall through. Offer 2 is great because it's more money but they'll need to get financing which could fall through.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Go with Offer #2 after speaking with their Loan company and getting the green light from them on 85% financing.

PS we just closed on a home with 90% financing was not hard.

Old 06-09-2011, 02:09 PM

Offer #2 is approved up to $375k and their offer would bring the financing to $311k.

Our agent believes Offer #2 is stronger.

It's a good problem to have, but very difficult to make a decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate