U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 02:08 PM

67 posts, read 56,443 times

Advertisements

What is the going rate being paid to realtors? Our agent started at 7 % came quickly down to 6 and mentioned the fact that 5 could be done if he sold our house and helped with the purchase of the house we are looking at.

Supposedly he gets 1.5 % of the deal. I don't have issues with that but I think 6 or 7 is pretty high for the company.

Anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 02:28 PM

28,384 posts, read 67,987,556 times
Locally (suburban Chicago) the ONLY way a 7% commission is defensible is for really really really really low priced properties / units. 6% is the norm. The broker /agent split often does leave a pretty modest 1.5% as the agent's take... Very few folks understand how many deals one has to do to make a full time living in any area of normal priced homes.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:39 PM

4,511 posts, read 11,563,747 times
Legally, there is no "going rate". All rates are negotiable as you found out, although a given brokerage may require their agents meet certain rates. It's illegal to collude with other brokerages to set a market rate.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:44 PM

13 posts, read 25,959 times
It is illegal to say there is a set rate. Now a company can have "their" guidelines as far as what they tell their agents to list for but, as an industry they cannot state that their is a set rate for any area.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:02 PM

67 posts, read 56,443 times
Thanks for the replies. That rate has pretty much killed this deal. That and the fact the seller countered much higher than I had hoped. I am struggling with paying 10's of thousands in fees and commissions to do this transaction. It's like a tax! I worked for years to build equity (yes I have equity!) and the real estate agency wants too big a bite out of it.

I think I am going to stay put and remodel! Thanks again for the replies.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:34 PM

4,824 posts, read 12,485,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalCare View Post
It is illegal to say there is a set rate. Now a company can have "their" guidelines as far as what they tell their agents to list for but, as an industry they cannot state that their is a set rate for any area.
I understand your intention, however, a Broker can set commission rates for all their agents. You are correct that no two competive brokers can "conspire" to agreed rates.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:49 PM

17,579 posts, read 38,328,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrunner View Post
Thanks for the replies. That rate has pretty much killed this deal. That and the fact the seller countered much higher than I had hoped. I am struggling with paying 10's of thousands in fees and commissions to do this transaction. It's like a tax! I worked for years to build equity (yes I have equity!) and the real estate agency wants too big a bite out of it.

I think I am going to stay put and remodel! Thanks again for the replies.
Are you the seller or buyer?

Old 06-29-2011, 08:01 PM

3,022 posts, read 5,545,315 times
Keep in mind that when he says 5, 6, or 7%, he's referring to the entire commission in the deal, including the other side as well - not the commission being garnered by simply his brokerage.

If you agree on 6%, each brokerage will split 3% and will probably split 50/50 with them, and he would receive 1.5%.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:24 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,982,239 times
And remember, the commission is split between the buyer's agent and the listing agent. If the listing agent reduces the commission, the buyer's agent will see 1/2 of that reduction. Ethically and legally that should not change which of the many houses out there to show a buyer but...

Old 02-09-2012, 08:19 PM

1 posts, read 5,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrunner View Post
What is the going rate being paid to realtors? Our agent started at 7 % came quickly down to 6 and mentioned the fact that 5 could be done if he sold our house and helped with the purchase of the house we are looking at.

Supposedly he gets 1.5 % of the deal. I don't have issues with that but I think 6 or 7 is pretty high for the company.

Anyone?

An agent commission is 6% (3% to selling agent and 3% to buyers agent)

Currently you see a lot at 5%, its the usual now. Ive never seen 7% before and if they want your listing 5% is not a problem at all, they will not walk away. Right now you should get 5% with nothing attached and if the agent does a good job then you let him help you with the purchase of your next home. You could also give incentives, meaning if the agent sells your house you can give the agent a "selling bonus"

Most agents will get their 2.5% but they also have to give a % to their broker. Now all agencies charge their agents diff. splits. Market is in your favor but if the agent is good and puts a lot of time and their money into selling your listing then 6% is fair. Again I've never seen 7% before.

If you have questions let me know and I can tell you what I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate