Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 12:04 PM

58 posts, read 200,182 times

Advertisements

We have had our house on the market for three months. 57 showings! 3 offers. Twice we accepted the offer and the buyers said they changed their minds. They changed their minds within hours of making the offer? What is that about? Why are they bothering to make offers if they are not serious?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 12:21 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey421 View Post
We have had our house on the market for three months. 57 showings! 3 offers. Twice we accepted the offer and the buyers said they changed their minds. They changed their minds within hours of making the offer? What is that about? Why are they bothering to make offers if they are not serious?
Did your realtor not follow up and find out why?

Old 03-30-2008, 12:21 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,831,906 times
Maybe they changed their mind.

Maybe they thought 'They accepted so fast, we should've bid lower, but since they've already accepted, if we bid a lower offer, we'd look stupid or arrogant, or perhaps they would think we were assuming they would go even lower, which they won't, unless they would, but we are too embarassed to ask, because they might be offended, and of course, we've already made an offer."

Who know what another person thinks, besides Ms. Cleo?

My wife...that's who.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:48 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times
Wow 57 showings is great. 3 offers is fantastic. Your agent needs to be finding out why two people backed out without even getting to the home inspection?? That is really weird. I've never seen a buyer do that after accepting an offer. After a home inspection or financing, yes, but to accept and then terminate is bizarre.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:48 PM

58 posts, read 200,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Maybe they changed their mind.

Maybe they thought 'They accepted so fast, we should've bid lower, but since they've already accepted, if we bid a lower offer, we'd look stupid or arrogant, or perhaps they would think we were assuming they would go even lower, which they won't, unless they would, but we are too embarassed to ask, because they might be offended, and of course, we've already made an offer."

Who know what another person thinks, besides Ms. Cleo?

My wife...that's who.
We accepted the 3rd offer on one, who then decided they weren't sure what town they wanted to live in. The 2nd buyer made two offers, we accepted the 2nd offer (six days later). Our realtor hasn't heard anything. So both of the buyers had to up their bid, which they did. This makes no sense to me. We looked three times at the house we liked, made an offer, it was accepted, and deal was done.

I just don't understand why anyone would bother to make an offer in this market if they aren't serious. It's not like houses are flying off the market.

Old 03-30-2008, 01:11 PM

649 posts, read 3,444,330 times
Once the seller accepts a written offer, isn't there a binding contract? Are they using some contingency (like "attorney approval")? If they do that they have to have a reasonable basis for that, I think (here in NY anyway). Or are they forfeiting their earnest money?

I think that's weird. When we made an offer and it was accepted, we didn't feel that we had the right to just 'walk away' without at least a good reason.

Here if you sign a contract (i.e., accept an offer, in writing) the seller can sue you for specific performance.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:02 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,897,149 times
Are these written offers or verbal?

Old 03-31-2008, 07:59 AM

18 posts, read 21,550 times
My wife and I backed away of two verbal offers... and both were from the same reasons-property tax. Both listsings never accurated listed the amount of combined school and local taxes. When we figured out the amount we immediately backed away from both deals. It may not be the same in your case. In NY property tax can add an additional $800-$1000 on top of your monthly MI.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:14 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,167,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmcoasting View Post
Are these written offers or verbal?

That would be my question also and if written did they put up any earnest money and if so did they forfeit it?

Old 06-27-2011, 08:28 PM

4 posts, read 32,107 times
From a buyer's POV... Just had to totally walk away from offering on a house due to the seller's or their agents trying to play the "oldest trick on the book" by saying they had an offer few days ago and is waiting for our offer to see what we are going to bid (trying to get a higher price I guess).

Come on, its 2011 and they are going to make us bid higher? Hell no way... buyers are not stupid in 2011! It's a buyer's market and I am moving forward to the next house... why waste my time on this one?

Maybe that is why the house did not sell for close to a year... problematic dishonest agent / seller!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate