U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2011, 06:22 PM

3,496 posts, read 6,493,501 times

Advertisements

About a week before our listing agreement was to expire, all of a sudden there was a flurry of showings. I’m wondering if agents ever get their fellow agents to bring their kids, in-laws, etc. for a totally bogus showing in an effort to make the sellers think there’s a big upturn in the market and are “just about” to get a contract, hoping they’ll sign for another listing period. Since this happened two different times with us, I am wondering if this was just coincidence or is this a common (albeit pretty shady) trick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 07:00 PM

574 posts, read 1,310,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
About a week before our listing agreement was to expire, all of a sudden there was a flurry of showings. I’m wondering if agents ever get their fellow agents to bring their kids, in-laws, etc. for a totally bogus showing in an effort to make the sellers think there’s a big upturn in the market and are “just about” to get a contract, hoping they’ll sign for another listing period. Since this happened two different times with us, I am wondering if this was just coincidence or is this a common (albeit pretty shady) trick.
I go with your second opinion that it is a bit shady! In this recession with homes on the market longer and longer the used home salespeople are turning to The Dark Side in larger numbers!

Old 06-29-2011, 07:25 PM

13,641 posts, read 30,836,613 times
It depends on when it was listed. I just had this happen to one of my listings where we had a flurry of showings right before expiration of the contract. We also listed right before Christmas so three months of the listing was dead time.

If they are bogus showings I wouldn't say it is common. I wouldn't put it past the worst of the worst agents out there but certainly not common.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:33 PM

30,707 posts, read 53,726,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
It depends on when it was listed. I just had this happen to one of my listings where we had a flurry of showings right before expiration of the contract. We also listed right before Christmas so three months of the listing was dead time.

If they are bogus showings I wouldn't say it is common. I wouldn't put it past the worst of the worst agents out there but certainly not common.
Right.

And if your listing agent has a record of, for example, usually listing for 90 days, you may see preview showings at the 80-90 day time frame, as other agents size you up to think about going after your listing if it expires.
I have heard of that angle...

Old 06-29-2011, 07:48 PM

167 posts, read 303,035 times
Coincidence.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:30 PM

30,707 posts, read 53,726,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoRE View Post
Coincidence.
Most likely.

Stuff just happens.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:33 PM

13,641 posts, read 30,836,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
And if your listing agent has a record of, for example, usually listing for 90 days, you may see preview showings at the 80-90 day time frame, as other agents size you up to think about going after your listing if it expires.
I have heard of that angle...
Yes I know a couple of agents that do this. I would suspect that is what is going on here.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:16 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,383,333 times
A related question.....I noticed the OP spoke of a 90 day listing. Up here the norm is a 6 month listing. The Realtors really push for it. I've actually have been told by agents something like; "If you expect us to invest in a strong marketing push, we won't do it for less then a 6 month listing."

I've never liked that. I would only agree to a 3 month listing or less....

I do not mean to hijack the thread at all.....just seemed related....

Frank

Old 06-29-2011, 10:20 PM

3,657 posts, read 7,776,568 times
With average Days on Market above 90 days in our market, I don't know why an agent would take a listing shorter. Especially a short sale as it can take MUCH longer. There is a lot of time and money invested from the realtor to do the listing, at least give it a chance. I do think 6 months is enough.

I think the flurry of activity is a bunch of agents previewing your house. Then when they call you on the morning your listing expires, they can say they know the house and have shown it, and they would be happy to help you sell it. :=)

Old 07-01-2011, 03:54 PM

7,942 posts, read 21,811,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
With average Days on Market above 90 days in our market, I don't know why an agent would take a listing shorter. Especially a short sale as it can take MUCH longer. There is a lot of time and money invested from the realtor to do the listing, at least give it a chance. I do think 6 months is enough.

I think the flurry of activity is a bunch of agents previewing your house. Then when they call you on the morning your listing expires, they can say they know the house and have shown it, and they would be happy to help you sell it. :=)
I agree, I don't know why any agent would ever take a short sale listing for less than 3 months. You are pretty much guaranteed to not be through the process in that time, even if you get an offer in the first week.

As for the showings before expiration, I don't know about other MLSs, but ours does not show the expiration date to anyone but the listing office. If I look at "Office Listings", I see an expiration date, otherwise, I do not. So other agents could not do the preview and then solicit game here, unless, as others have said, the agent's normal listing duration is known. In an MLS with 3000 agents, that usually isn't going to be the case.

So in our area, it could not be that. It would have to be either totally coincidence, or an unscrupulous agent.

Showings often go up after school gets out, as people are looking to make moves over the summer, so if that was the case, it was likely coincidence. Or if you had a recent price reduction, that is likely the cause. But if you can't think of any reasons why the showings would peak when they did, there might be something else going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or