Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2011, 07:00 AM

1 posts, read 971 times

Advertisements

So, I am a buyer and I had a home inspection done for a house. Most of the basement was finished, but in the boiler room (unfinished), the inspector discovered some rotted sills on the wall which happened to be just beneath the deck. What I am wondering now is how worried should I be about the possibility of other rotted sills lurking behind the finished walls? The house was built about 25 years ago and pressure-treated wood was not used. The lawn was graded away, so that shouldn't be an issue. I wonder if the deck may be holding water against the house, or perhaps the gutters on the back weren't cleaned. There were no obvious cosmetic issues (cracks, etc.) that would lead me to believe there was an issue, but I don't know much about these things. Thanks in advance for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 07:06 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karnij7877 View Post
So, I am a buyer and I had a home inspection done for a house. Most of the basement was finished, but in the boiler room (unfinished), the inspector discovered some rotted sills on the wall which happened to be just beneath the deck. What I am wondering now is how worried should I be about the possibility of other rotted sills lurking behind the finished walls? The house was built about 25 years ago and pressure-treated wood was not used. The lawn was graded away, so that shouldn't be an issue. I wonder if the deck may be holding water against the house, or perhaps the gutters on the back weren't cleaned. There were no obvious cosmetic issues (cracks, etc.) that would lead me to believe there was an issue, but I don't know much about these things. Thanks in advance for any advice!
It is a very good bet that the deck was not properly flashed where it meets the house, and water from the deck is running against the wall.
There are various ways to flash a house to keep water from the deck from penetrating.

And, where I am, it is quite often poorly done, or was done with cheap thin aluminum that doesn't hold up, or omitted entirely.
Usually, the deck needs to be pulled away from the house, rotted wood replaced, and proper flashing added. It can be a real pain on some decks, and not a big deal on others.

Old 07-02-2011, 07:39 AM

4,566 posts, read 10,655,631 times
Another reason why basements should never be finished. It makes all these repairs so much harder and more expensive.

Get an estimate. Like the other guy said, sometimes its no big deal, sometimes it is. Without seeing the house, we cant guess.

Old 07-02-2011, 08:51 AM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
It is a very good bet that the deck was not properly flashed where it meets the house, and water from the deck is running against the wall.
There are various ways to flash a house to keep water from the deck from penetrating.

And, where I am, it is quite often poorly done, or was done with cheap thin aluminum that doesn't hold up, or omitted entirely.
Usually, the deck needs to be pulled away from the house, rotted wood replaced, and proper flashing added. It can be a real pain on some decks, and not a big deal on others.
This was my first thought too. Missing or improper deck flashing. It's a common problem out here, but we get loads of rain in Oregon. It can be a big deal like the house I listed a few years ago where the lack of flashing was funneling water down the interior walls, or it can be as simple as pulling out a couple of boards, flashing and replacing rotting boards.

OP get a contractor in to give you a quote and if there is an inspector that has a thermal imager, hire them to see if they can find water running down the walls.

Old 07-02-2011, 11:12 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,224,252 times
From what I understand, carpenter ants love rotted boards, did you see any evidence of this during the inspection?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate