U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 10:38 AM

2,060 posts, read 2,967,264 times
Default HOA won't give us the mailbox key...

Help! We moved into our new home a week ago, and since then have been unable to get the HOA to give us a copy of our mailbox key. Since it was a Homepath property the sellers didn't have one for us, and our local post office said the HOA holds all the keys for this property.

We've emailed the HOA president daily, have knocked on her door at least 6 times (she was home but wouldn't answer the door one time!), and I'm running out of ideas. I've put a hold on our mail as of today, but I can't keep doing that indefinitely. I know there was a 3 month delinquency on the HOA fees but they were taken care of during closing, and we don't owe July until the 15th.

Should I call my attorney? The HOA almost lost us our mortgage dragging their heels on the bank's requests for info, and now this. The thing is we're a small 22 unit community, we all live on each other's doorsteps - I don't understand what her problem is!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 10:42 AM

10,850 posts, read 18,116,894 times
I would go back to the post office and tell them they won't give you a key. See if a call from them helps.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:34 AM

263 posts, read 431,842 times
Usually the post office has the keys not the HOA.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:37 AM

3,080 posts, read 5,610,685 times
Inquire of the post office the cost to drill and rekey the mailbox due to a lost key. Advise the HOA that you will be requesting this if the key is not made available to you.

Old 07-05-2011, 01:45 PM

5,881 posts, read 6,694,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
Help! We moved into our new home a week ago, and since then have been unable to get the HOA to give us a copy of our mailbox key. Since it was a Homepath property the sellers didn't have one for us, and our local post office said the HOA holds all the keys for this property.

We've emailed the HOA president daily, have knocked on her door at least 6 times (she was home but wouldn't answer the door one time!), and I'm running out of ideas. I've put a hold on our mail as of today, but I can't keep doing that indefinitely. I know there was a 3 month delinquency on the HOA fees but they were taken care of during closing, and we don't owe July until the 15th.

Should I call my attorney? The HOA almost lost us our mortgage dragging their heels on the bank's requests for info, and now this. The thing is we're a small 22 unit community, we all live on each other's doorsteps - I don't understand what her problem is!
I doubt very much the HOA HAS a copy of the mailbox key unless they were the owner of the property. Why would they? The postal delivery has nothing to do with the HOA. Go to the Post Office, and have them explain the procedure for claiming ownershoip of the box and getting new keys made.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:31 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,972,955 times
I had to go through this process when I bought my townhouse and even though there was a lot of conflicting information, I ended up getting a new key from the Post Office. They changed the lock, gave me a new key, and waived the lock replacement fee because I had just moved to the property.

Just wanted to add that I don't see why it's so much trouble for the HOA president to respond to you. The least she could do is tell you that the mailboxes aren't a responsibility of the HOA, if that is the case.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:56 PM

4,317 posts, read 7,926,712 times
If these are "community" mailboxes, sometimes called "cluster" mailboxes, they are the responsibility of the post office. They can change your lock and give you a new key. In my area, it's $25. The HOA should not have access to your mail. It's a Federal crime to access someone else's mail without permission.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:30 PM

2,060 posts, read 2,967,264 times
The Post Office insists the HOA has the keys. Not sure why.

I heard back finally from the president today, who only said that she's passed my request on to the secretary. She doesn't think they have a spare for our box, even though they have them for others. This has been such a nightmare.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:02 PM

4,317 posts, read 7,926,712 times
You must be talking with the wrong person at the post office. It's your box and you can ask for a rekey from the post office whenever you please. They'll charge you, but you can get a new lock and new keys every week if you want. Mailboxes are the Federal Government. Mailboxes and HOAs have nothing to do with each other.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:09 PM

2,850 posts, read 2,051,184 times
In the condo complex we live in, there is no way in heck that I would ever allow our BOD to have any keys to my unit or mail box - ever. As stated by others, go to the post office and don't leave until they have the problem corrected as they are responsible for the locks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate