Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 11:53 AM

25,464 posts, read 13,570,117 times

Advertisements

Why does everyone get in such a disagreement concerning the commission that the broker and agents receive for selling property? In the long run, ok, very long run, it is the buyer that theoretically pays the commission. They are the ones paying for the property.

Say a seller lists the property for $110,000. He/she wants $100,000. Buyer offers $106,000. Seller accepts. Seller receives his wanted/asking price. The 6% goes to the brokerage to be split between agents involved.

Agents are performing their jobs and property gets sold and buyer has what he/she wanted. Seller has the money minus fee. But, buyer paid for all of this. Am I looking at this in the wrong way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2007, 07:08 PM

2 posts, read 17,989 times
Default Thanks for all the responses...

Thank you all so much for the replies both positives and negatives.

It has been a hectic couple of days with all of this going on. After reviewing my contract in detail I realized I was not (thankfully) in breach of my contract. Regardless of who found the buyer the same commission would be paid. I decided the best thing to do for me was to let my realtor know what was going on. We agreed together that the fair thing to do was to split the commission. It is a win win for everybody, she get's her commission and I save on the other half.

In the future I would always make sure you read all the fine print before you sign any contracts. I never expected that this was something I needed to be concerned with and thought that our home would sell much quicker than it did. Now I know to expect the unexpected especially when selling a house.

I have an additional buyer ready to make an offer so the highest bidder wins. I will keep everyone updated and thanks so much again.

Old 08-11-2007, 07:37 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverglen View Post
Thank you all so much for the replies both positives and negatives.

It has been a hectic couple of days with all of this going on. After reviewing my contract in detail I realized I was not (thankfully) in breach of my contract. Regardless of who found the buyer the same commission would be paid. I decided the best thing to do for me was to let my realtor know what was going on. We agreed together that the fair thing to do was to split the commission. It is a win win for everybody, she get's her commission and I save on the other half.

In the future I would always make sure you read all the fine print before you sign any contracts. I never expected that this was something I needed to be concerned with and thought that our home would sell much quicker than it did. Now I know to expect the unexpected especially when selling a house.

I have an additional buyer ready to make an offer so the highest bidder wins. I will keep everyone updated and thanks so much again.

Clap clap clap...and you hired a smart agent...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate