Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 04:06 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemmike View Post
Not specifically, but we met beforehand so he could ask me where I was in terms of purchasing. He indicated that I was being too picky, which I understand.

Silverfall, yes, we did have a bid in on a house that we pulled out of after the inspection turned up more than we thought we'd have to deal with. They offered some compensation in return, but it wasn't enough to cover what we discovered. But I can see how this was a mistake on our part and we have been more realistic since then. Thank you for saying this, though, because I would like to not be a bad client as we move forward.

It isn't about being a bad client. I mean this is your money, not mine or your agents.

If you told me as an agent that you were willing to renovate or tear down and build new, then walked away from a home over repairs, I just would think that you aren't grounded in reality. So I'd have to make a business decision about my time. You make choices with your time and money, and your agent has to make choices with their time and money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 05:05 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,224,774 times
I agree with Silverfall. It's an agonizing call to release a client, particularly after you've invested so much time and money. At some point the agent, who is running a business, has to decide if gambling on your chances of buying is worth not working with another potential client which might lead to a quicker/more certain outcome. There are only so many hours one can devote to work.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:27 PM

7 posts, read 9,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggJoe4181 View Post
Just curious...and I may be fanning flames here...but if your plan was to renovate OR tear down and build from scratch (as indicated by your OP) then why would the amount of repairs matter? If the cost of repairs was too much why didn't you buy the land, tear down, and build new?
The particular property in question would have been in need of major renovation to its mechanicals and electricals (perhaps some major plumbing as well). It also needed updating - 2 bathrooms still from the 50's, a kitchen from the 70's. In addition, it was near enough to a very busy road and would have required some sort of sound mediation (wall?) to allow outdoor activities. All of this was acceptable, though stretching our desires a bit as the house was larger than we wanted and not in an area we wanted.

The inspection turned up leaking from the roof, more electrical issues than I suspected, more plumbing issues that I suspected and a settling issue on one side. This pushed the renovation budget tens of thousands of dollars higher than we had planned for. We didn't want the house badly enough to warrant the additional costs. Valid question, though.

Silverfall and WhoFanMe, I understand and can see my agent's point of view more clearly because of your feedback. Thank you. It is true that the particular house we backed out of was clearly not right for us and we didn't see it at the time until inspection. This has been very helpful in guiding our future interactions with a buyers agent.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:43 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,919,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
It isn't about being a bad client. I mean this is your money, not mine or your agents.

If you told me as an agent that you were willing to renovate or tear down and build new, then walked away from a home over repairs, I just would think that you aren't grounded in reality. So I'd have to make a business decision about my time. You make choices with your time and money, and your agent has to make choices with their time and money.

well put

Old 07-31-2011, 08:52 AM

1,989 posts, read 4,466,032 times
Soooooo.....what do you get for an agent who's had the patience of a saint for a few years?

Hypothetically speaking, of course.

Old 07-31-2011, 12:57 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cohdane View Post
Soooooo.....what do you get for an agent who's had the patience of a saint for a few years?

Hypothetically speaking, of course.
Referrals of your friends and family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate