Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 07:30 AM

270 posts, read 838,063 times

Advertisements

I notice that the hilly areas in my region tend to be more upscale than the surrounding flat areas.

Yes, I know that hills are more desirable to live on, and suit residential zones more than commercial/industrial.

But is actual construction cost also a significant factor? Is it more costly to build homes on hilly areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 09:06 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,996,169 times
Yes. Depending on how steep it is, it can add significant expense to building a home. I'll let the construction gurus jump in here, but the foundation is different, grading, longer driveways (to avoid the very steep, straight up or down driveway), etc.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:07 AM

4,567 posts, read 10,652,230 times
The hills have nothing to do with it.

If its in the middle of nowhere and supplies will have to be trucked 60+ miles, no power, no roads, no water, no sewer, then yes, its more expensive to build there. If the land is desirable and huge lots, it will also be more expensive.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:07 PM

15,574 posts, read 40,417,480 times
Yes it is more expensive to build on hills. They have larger foundations for those homes which adds substantial cost, and they are engineered differently to withstand slides and quakes.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:03 AM

158 posts, read 523,675 times
It as has a lot to do with what is under the surface of these hills. You can imagine that putting in a septic or drilling a well through solid rock will cause some expensive problems. I have clients that have a house to sell in a very so-so neighborhood. They spent a ridiculous amount of money excavating the driveway, drilling a 600+ foot well and their septic system still has serious issues. The house has been on the market for 4 years and they will never be able to get the price low enough to sell and cover their expenses.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:19 AM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
"Are hilly areas substantially more expensive to build on?"

In a word- no.
And of the preceding answers cobble was correct. It's really about what's under that hill or mountain. And for yourself- it's geographic location. Fault lines (AKA- earthquakes) also mean very different building techniques/code requirements. If you compare LA/OC to ATL (my locale) left coast cost is higher- but not substantially higher when you adjust for labor and material cost. I deal more with earth than rock (lower excavation cost), I have no code requirements/restrictions for foundation other than standard footing and reinforcing steel sizes and dimensions. Actual cost difference between a slab house and a basement foundation here is approximately $12-15k (most of that is actual material cost, predominantly concrete). Of course there are other areas of the country that are flat but still have basements because the frostline is so deep- and it's a waste of money to fill the hole back-up.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:58 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,073,130 times
In a different word: Yes.

While the foundation work is generally consistent betwen a flat and a hill lot, the cost to prepare the site, the cost of filling and leveling, the cost of engineering, and the sheer (excuse the pun) act of working on a very steep/hilly lot add to the amount of time, and hence the cost.

As noted here, and just think about if logically: it just takes more to 'get around' on a steep slope than it does to walk across a level lot. Materials are generally the same, but the cost adds up in prep work and the simple act of working in a steep environment.

BTW, i am assuming hilly/steep to be extreme...not gradual hills, but STEEP stuff that falls away at a 35 degree or steeper angle. Generally speaking, it would be difficult to stand up on such a lot, but not impossible. Imagine the reason to do it would be for the view.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:50 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,698 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
In a different word: Yes.

BTW, i am assuming hilly/steep to be extreme...not gradual hills, but STEEP stuff that falls away at a 35 degree or steeper angle. Generally speaking, it would be difficult to stand up on such a lot, but not impossible. Imagine the reason to do it would be for the view.
I'm with the 'Bear', but it really depends on lots of things (run-off, soils, access, design)

Foundation and erosion control are big (~ $20k more) . Then there is the hassle... framing, siding, sheeting, gutters, painting landscaping, height at roof (fear factor). That said I always build on a hill (I like daylight basements). But I have a good friend who built on a STEEP incline. LOTS of hidden expenses... (like placing drainrock around perimeter.) got caught by rain. 8 month delay due to impossible to get materials in. Much erosion due to delay (structure risk and BIG FINES). I will guess he wasted $100k on his 'incline', he enjoys a 16' tall ceiling in his basement (racquetball court), BUT.... his house gives me the eebee-geebies to occupy during 'mudslide' season, and I DON"T enjoy being on his deck, even with the nice view.

One warning... you ALWAYS run out of 'dirt' on a hillside project (trying to landscape / make flat spaces for BBQ...)

One of my neighbor's homes split in half and fell down in a ravine, due to another (higher) neighbor getting his drainage wrong. Think TWICE, maybe 3-4x.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:53 AM

4,918 posts, read 22,676,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD1985 View Post
Is it more costly to build homes on hilly areas?
Yes and NO -
Define what you mean by "Hilly". It could mean gental rolling hills of open space, or it could mean steep slopes in the hills.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:35 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
One warning... you ALWAYS run out of 'dirt' on a hillside project

Really?
By the looks of the picture I attached I'd say there's always a surplus.
Then again, if you know what the Hell you're doing you hopefully don't have to truck any off- and certainly shouldn't have to truck some in.
Knowing where your "cut" is and knowing what will need "fill"- it should be a 50/50 trade-off.
Attached Thumbnails
Are hilly areas substantially more expensive to build on?-exavation.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate