Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 10:12 PM

468 posts, read 1,374,854 times

Advertisements

Wow - 9 showings in a week is great (at least for this area - lol). Average time on market can range upwards to 100 days around here.

I agree with the above comments - if you're getting that many showing right off the bat, it may not be the price - it may be the 'appearance'.

Keep us posted!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 10:39 PM

5 posts, read 15,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachstatehomegal View Post
Wow - 9 showings in a week is great (at least for this area - lol). Average time on market can range upwards to 100 days around here.

I agree with the above comments - if you're getting that many showing right off the bat, it may not be the price - it may be the 'appearance'.

Keep us posted!
I will make sure to keep you guys posted!
But what do you mean by appearance.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:32 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,731,462 times
It looks great in the photos but having sold places before, and having seen a lot of homes for sale, too much furniture can make a place feel much smaller than it is. You don't seem to have enough kids to need 3 sofas in one room. You have to put aside the way you like to have your house for a while in order to have your house show the most potential to buyers.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:57 AM

5 posts, read 15,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
It looks great in the photos but having sold places before, and having seen a lot of homes for sale, too much furniture can make a place feel much smaller than it is. You don't seem to have enough kids to need 3 sofas in one room. You have to put aside the way you like to have your house for a while in order to have your house show the most potential to buyers.
Haha, these sofas are for guests, the kids have their sofas downstairs .

Old 08-15-2011, 07:07 AM

8,074 posts, read 10,001,693 times
Place looks, as has been said, too full of furniture. Put about 1/3 of it in storage.

Price is determined in concert with your realtor. Hard to suggest here, but it looks 'in the range.

Your showings are a result of the 'new product on the shelf.' It is unlikely that most of the people who came were actually buyers. You got the 'neighbors', the curious, the people who look at every house, the people who are going to buy 'some day', the people who are going to buy 'when they sell their own home', the gawkers, and the people who were just driving past and it 'looked so cute we just had to stop.'

Now the real slog begins. What is the averag selling time in your area? That is a resonable metric for you to work with. Other that removing some furniture you are going to sit back and wait. Sure, you can put the price down to where it is a steal and get a bottom feeder who will buy the place to rent it out, but that i probably not a strategy ...yet.

Hang in there. You have seen the 'first day/new listing' surge. Now you have to wait, in a very tough market, for a buyer to show up.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:22 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,005,564 times
Default Too much stuff...

Pare down!!! You have like three or four flat panel TVs, drum machine, exercise equipment, too many sofas. It is tidy, but NOT "homey" -- to sell FAST you gotta make it like a "Model Home" and no model homeecer has this much STUFF...

Bad news is that by not having it "model ready" you might have blown your best shot at getting sold fast. After you PARE DOWN, maybe ask your agent to "invite back" others that may have seen the place but not yet made offer -- too manynpeope have zero ability to look beyond your stuff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggi View Post
Hey,
We are currently trying to sell our home which has been on sale for exactly a week. We have had an open house and about 9 showings but so far no offers. We have found our house that we wish to purchase and the closing date is October 14, giving us 2 months to sell our home. If the house doesn't get any offers by the next week, we are thinking to price the house lower. Our house is priced very aggressively in our area, which has had houses sell in as fast as 4 days to as long as 10 months.
I will post our MLS and let you guys judge the house, give me feedback on the house and price if you guys wish. I will also post the MLS of our area.
Thanks!
This is the MLS for our area:http://www.realtor.ca/map.aspx#acr:false;ac:false;baths:0-0;beds:0-0;fp:false;gar:false;pmin:0;pmax:0;rmin:0;rmax:0;o penh:false;pool:false;stories:0-0;buildingstyle:;buildingtypeid:;viewtypeid:;water front:false;forsale:true;forrent:false;orderBy:A;s ortBy:1;LisStartDate:;mapZ:16;page:1;mapC:42.96323 778839135[/url], -81.28121674060822;curView:0;curStyle:r;chkSchl:fal se;chkTran:false;chkPol:false;chkMed:false;chkWrk: false;chkFire:false;chkAll:false

MLS for our house:REALTOR.ca -Property Details 485722

Old 08-15-2011, 03:57 PM

22,621 posts, read 36,559,983 times
i agree you need to get rid of one or two of the couches.

take the rugs out of the kids' rooms because they don't match the rest of the room and it's distracting.

pull your DR chairs away from the wall.

Your pix are not great...who took them?

Unfortunately I agree with whomever said you've likely missed your window for bringing in your best buyers. I would ask to have pictures re-done after you remedy the staging with suggestions people here have given you.

When you show the house make sure it's sparkling clean and there are fresh flowers on the tables. Spend $100 at Target and get some nice bedding and pillows for your room. Take a look at your house as if you've never been in it and ask yourself what you'd change if you could - then do it. Your house needs a few finishing touches.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:47 PM

66 posts, read 146,389 times
Your house has good curb appeal - but the inside could be keeping away the offers. Here are my suggestions:

Living Room: Remove vertical blinds. (Nothing says 1980 like vertical blinds do!) I would rather see no window treatments and lots of sunlight than something dark or dated. Remove the biggest sofa and a couple tables/lamps. You want to really open up the room. Right now it looks dark and small. And there is way too much furniture in there!!!! You need to remove at least half.

Kitchen: Remove all stuff from fridge. Remove everything you can from countertops. Any cabinets with glass doors should be perfectly organized and clean. Right now it looks cluttered in those cabinets and the kitchen doesn't say "I want to live here" - it says "someone else lives here".

Bathroom: Having wood doors over a painted facia on the cabinet is a big no-no. I think you either have to strip the cabinet base or paint the doors. Things look very mismatched (the wood on the mirror doesn't match the wood on the doors, the counter doesn't match the tile very well, etc. It really needs to be neutralized - it's too many colors/patterns/surfaces right now.

Bedroom: Remove bedding and curtains and replace with something neutral (beige, taupe, whatever goes with the rug in there that is neutral). This room is really the last thing I would work on - the kitchen, living room and bath are far more important.

If you do all that and the place is really clean (I mean super clean - that's important!) then I think you'll see more interest. Otherwise I think you'll need to drop the price because buyers are WAAAAYYYY too picky in this economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate