Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2011, 02:35 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times

Advertisements

Just wondering....... at some time or another some of my longer term tenants have come to my house to drop off an (almost late) payment, bring by eggs (from the chickens I let them keep in their by) etc. But I have read comments here on CD that many LL's don't want tenants to know where they live.

I have a couple that is going to be giving me a security deposit and signing a lease this evening. I took them through the property last week and have now completed all the background verifications, etc. Since the property they will move into is occupied we need to either meet at the library or my house. I live in a guarded community so they can't ever come in w/o permission. Anything wrong with having them come to my place tonight to sign & give me the security deposit? I'm feeling lazy and don't want to get in the car and drive to meet them......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 02:40 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,915,093 times
Judging by the way most landlords treat their tenants, I can understand them wanting to keep their home locales a secret.

Also, they probably don't want them to see the luxurious surroundings in which they themselves live while the tenants are most likely in slums.

Old 08-23-2011, 04:04 PM

819 posts, read 3,207,280 times
The LL of the place I rented for 8 years would never tell us where they lived. They would just always come pick up the rent.

Old 08-23-2011, 04:36 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
My office manages 104 units. Of those, 4 are in my (very small) subdivision. So I don't live any better than our tenants, and many of our tenants live in houses much nice than mine. So that really isn't a fair assessment.

That said, those tenants obviously know where I live, but the other 100 do not. One of my neighbors leaves her rent check in my mailbox every month.

But I am a very private person, and I don't like people coming into my house. If my tenants started dropping by my house all the time, I would ask them to please only come and see me at the office. The reason for that is because I am at the office working 40+ hours a week anyway, and my time at home is my time off, and I don't want them at my house. That is why we have an office, so that the tenants do not have to go to my house, or my bosses house.

I would guess that smaller landlords who only have a couple of properties probably have more people who come directly to their house.

Old 08-23-2011, 04:43 PM

577 posts, read 899,956 times
Our tenants know where we live and have been to our house a number of times. I guess it all comes down to trust. While I wouldn't call them friends, we are on friendly terms.

My understanding is that the LL has to put some kind of contact info on the lease, no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate