Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 03:16 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,310 times

Advertisements

Even though it has been explained to you I feel the need to share this story. It was used as an example in real estate school as to why it's so important to not buy anything big before you close on your home:

Wealthy husband and wife purchase a beautiful $600,000 ish home. Apply for a mortgage and are approved, etc. etc. About 3 weeks before closing the wife decides to go purchase furniture for their new home. She winds up buying $10,000 worth of furniture and charges it. About a week before closing the underwriter reverifys her credit score, checking accounts, etc. and sees that due to the $10,000 purchase the couple no longer has the credit score required to qualify for the loan they had been approved for. Now, the couple has to return all the furniture they purchased, delay closing for 30 days for the return to process and show on their credit, then close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 06:40 PM

2,149 posts, read 4,151,209 times
Yeah, that was an odd decision they made, but I definitely wouldn't be buying $10K worth of furniture. I get the point though.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:38 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,138,288 times
I know its exciting to buy a house and you have so many things you want to buy but really, it is best to wait until you move in. Aside from the important advice about debt ratios, you really need time to learn the house before buying anything big. I had my plan figured out on what furniture I wanted for our family room. I waited till we closed and we were in the house a month when I realized the furniture I was going to buy really wouldn't work well in the room. SOOO GLAD I waited and thought about it more.

My sister used to be a realtor and she had a client that went nuts and bought a ton of furniture for her new house right before close. Just like everyone else said, the underwriters pulled her credit one last time. Debt ratio was off and she didn't get the house. Don't put the cart before the horse.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:50 AM

675 posts, read 1,816,014 times
Besides spending money, be aware about receiving money, too. Because the bank will ask you prove how and where you get a big deposit in your account suddenly.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:26 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Default punching above their weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
Yeah, that was an odd decision they made, but I definitely wouldn't be buying $10K worth of furniture. I get the point though.
Which point?
Because it's really not such an odd decision.
---

$10,000 worth of new furniture for the family who has a new $600,000 home?
If anything... that's close to modest.

What this anecdote points out (if anything) is that the "wealthy couple" buying that $600K home...
isn't so wealthy at all.

The larger lesson? That the same sort of pushing the limits on qualification that got us into the mess is still going on.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:59 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,682,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Well you can't get a sofa in there before you move in because you don't own the house. You can't put anything into the house until it is officially yours.
That!!!

Old 09-19-2011, 09:44 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,151,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
That!!!
Yes I know.

BTW, still on hold. My mortgage loan apparently had to go through an auditing process which meant my settlement, which was suppose to be Thursday was pushed back a week. I was looking at furniture the last 2 weekends, and a special order on a sofa would mean an 8-12 week delivery.

I've pretty much figured out what I want though, just a matter of purchasing it.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:15 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,391,230 times
You could just pay cash for the items you want to buy. That way you don't have to worry about it affecting your closing.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:20 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
You could just pay cash for the items you want to buy. That way you don't have to worry about it affecting your closing.
Uhh...generally the lender will check to make sure you have cash available to bring to the closing table. If they see a large withdrawl from your account it could cause a red flag to go up.

Play it safe. Wait until you have the keys.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:29 AM

675 posts, read 1,816,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggJoe4181 View Post
Uhh...generally the lender will check to make sure you have cash available to bring to the closing table. If they see a large withdrawl from your account it could cause a red flag to go up.

Play it safe. Wait until you have the keys.
I think MaseMan meant cash in your hand (in your pocket), not in your account at the bank or at any fund ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate