Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 06:14 PM

274 posts, read 708,871 times

Advertisements

Sweet, thanks for the clarification. Although I try to be clear up front about what type of communication my client prefers, things happen when emotions are involved. Urgency is probably the most understood element, but I could be wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicExYouth View Post
I should've made it clear--I haven't dodged her attempts at communication: I've answered each email and text and returned every phone call. I even picked up the one that she made in the middle of the Alabama game--she's from New Jersey, so I didn't expect her to understand that was not cool.

But calling at noon and saying she expected the contract back in an hour was just too much. I told her I felt rushed, and then suggested the Tuesday time frame (which was followed by a deep sigh and a moment of silence, before quietly saying she was expected this to be completed this afternoon. It was creepily spouse-like.) I came to the "Internet community" only to see if I was wrong in thinking she was unreasonable.

And no one asked her to give up her holiday weekend. She insisted. I told her I was perfectly fine doing it next week. And who expects--or WANTS TO PAY--for a lawyer to read a contract on a Sunday or a Monday holiday? Honestly, communications were pretty good until I signed that paper giving her exclusive rights to my business. The minute that happened, the hustle started. I'm totally not impressed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 06:34 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
I assume this means in your state you don't have any kind of attorney review period.

Old 09-04-2011, 08:18 PM

675 posts, read 1,816,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I assume this means in your state you don't have any kind of attorney review period.
Is it required by law in some states?

Old 09-05-2011, 07:09 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBy View Post
It is standard in New Jersey. Generally just submit the standard contract and then let the lawyers look at it.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:18 AM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBy View Post
West coast states don't typically uses attorneys for closings or for reviews. Some states like New York have attorneys heavily involved. Some states use attorneys for closings, where west coast states use title companies. Some states have attorneys review the contract, but agents still manage most of the transaction.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:25 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,997,648 times
I tell my clients up front, most houses you can go home and think about and make a decision later. Every now and then, we will see one that I tell them they have to decide right away or it will be gone. Yes, we can tell! Lost one last week while the buyers were considering, and they now understand the urgency. Convinced one last week that if she waits for her husband to get back in town, it will be gone. She wrote, there were multiple offers, they countered quickly, got the offer accepted and everyone is happy (including the husband who checked it out over the weekend).

So sometimes there is urgency. I still don't think I would call 8 times in a day though...

Old 09-05-2011, 08:44 AM

Thank you Silverfall

Hi NinaN, in my opinion, if it's the right house (or dream house) for the buyer, they have the feeling with the house immediately and will make a quick decision, besides that, they might hesitate a little bit and consider about this and that...

Old 09-05-2011, 01:36 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,544,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicExYouth View Post
First-time home buyer here--I think I've found what I'm looking for (in a house), and my real estate agent and I talked yesterday about starting a contract and making an offer. She said she was completely free and on her own this weekend, so we discussed the basics and she put together a draft this morning.

Since then, I've had 2 emails, 5 phone calls, and a series of text messages. She emailed the contract to me around noon and wanted me to sign so she could pick it up right away. When I told her I needed some time, she said she'd time-stamped it for 1pm and thought we were going to wrap this up today. One of the many messages she left asked what a good time was this afternoon for her to drop by and pick up a check.

No one has made an offer on the place in the 8 months it has been on the market. I think we have time. Even if we didn't, it's Saturday on a holiday weekend, I need to get the attorney to review it, and just glancing through, changes need to be made.

Is this usual behavior? I'm locked in with this woman now and am so, so sorry I signed THAT little piece of paper. It's really made me hesitant to sign another.
I haven't read all posts but I bet she wants you.

Old 09-05-2011, 05:15 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,666,640 times
Many real estate agents are starving (watch for the replies, but not me, I am the best......LOL) and they want to be sure the deal gets signed ASAP.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annemieke Roell View Post
I haven't read all posts but I bet she wants you.
You're funny, Annemieke Roelle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate