U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 02:52 PM

45,127 posts, read 18,763,880 times

Advertisements

Attorney needs to assess the situation and help define what an "easement" can be used for.

Typically an easement is for a specific use, such as utilities or access to a piece of property. I've never heard of an easement for giving horseback riding lessons. But who knows.

Have the attorney look at the lease as well. Surely, you have the right to increase the rent. Or did you sign an agreement that you have to renew the lease into eternity at this same rate.

I'd be seriously thinking of upping the rent to cover all the bother your tenants are.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 02:54 PM

3,029 posts, read 7,717,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
You've got to find a solution because this guy is the type who'll claim adverse possession and squeeze you out somehow.
Successful adverse possession cases are quite rare. And they are expensive to fight for all parties involved.

I'd write a certified letter telling him of his trespass and demand that he cease and desist use of your property immediately. Then, perhaps a small claims lawsuit is a good second step. Get witnesses who will testify as to what's happening who can appear in court with you. In lieu of that, a good real estate lawyer who will write a stern letter is another option.

Old 09-15-2014, 05:08 PM

5,048 posts, read 8,039,030 times
Stranger things have happened. I know too many people who get entangled in this. It's so extremely stressful whether their land is actually taken or not, that it may as well be taken. I know one case where an easement was granted, and that guy then granted a right of way on his easement to the water company who then took down a wooded area 40' wide and did construction for a long way in. So...not much woods around the owner's home now.

I know a woman with cancer trying to keep reallll calm for her health. And these guys are trying to bulldoze her. Literally..well some of her property. And another guy not fully recovered from a stroke. etc etc.

Give some of these characters an inch and they'll take a mile saying they need this mile to accomplish what they need to do on that inch.

So this guy has the easement. (open possession). And now he has a riding school of some sort there open to those he teaches and it might be anyone can come and ask to be taught or accompany a student (open to the world), continuous, uninterrupted, solo physical occupancy (exclusive), in opposition to the owner's desires (could be hostile)

The guy could be working on it. 20 years in Md. Seems like he's ticking the boxes. Looks like he has time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate