Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 09:57 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,320,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Oversight? There is a sump pump! LOL. This means there "is" water in the basement, the pump gets it out.

Buyer failed to use common sense and think that water would never be an issue.
I don't have a sump pump. I've lived in the house for 26 years. Recently Tropical Storm Lee went righ over us---no water in sump pump. But I could have put one in, just to be proplactic about it.

Having a sump pump doesn't mean that there is a water problem, only that the owner doesn't want to have a water problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 11:58 AM

220 posts, read 835,926 times
It seems like buyer's remorse.

If you can sue anything, it would be the home inspector.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:53 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,320,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzone View Post
It seems like buyer's remorse.

If you can sue anything, it would be the home inspector.
You can't sue home inspectors. They only report what they see. They can simply say that they didn't see anything like that.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:03 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
The inspection noted water stains. Some people just can't be helped.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:54 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
You can sue anyone about anything. Whether you win or not is the question.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:00 PM

220 posts, read 835,926 times
manderly6, not sure who you're referring to..

The OP had said the downspouts were clogged and they fixed them. Even a rookie home inspector can find this out. And look at what the OP said next "Then Irene came a few days later. During the storm, I noticed that in one corner of the house the downspout was still not working correctly and overflowed. And that seemed to be same corner of the house through which we got water in the crawl space again"

The whole thing is probably due to the standing water next to the foundation. The sump pump wasn't operated at the time allowed water to rise up against the foundation wall...eventually water found a way in. If the home inspector did his job, he would found the problems with the gutters and the downspouts and recommended (not company) professional gutter cleaner. Of course you can't sue the home inspector. There is an affidavit that the buyer signs and agrees to that the buyer can't sue them. That was why I said "IF".

Old 09-22-2011, 12:40 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
The inspector noted water stains in the basement and the OP stated they "assumed any problems had been corrected". Personally that is all I need to hear. I even asked the OP if they questioned the seller about the water stains with no reply.

I think most people when faced with a report that calls out water stains and a disclosure that says no evidence of water would at a the very minimum question the seller. If not you deserve what you get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate