Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 11:45 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times

Advertisements

Seventy-five percent of home owners say their homes are worth more than the recommended listing price, according to real estate professionals recently surveyed by HomeGain. On the other hand, 68 percent of home buyers say homes are overpriced.

Sellers Say Their Homes Are Worth More | Realtor Magazine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 12:11 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,006 times
2b - didn't you know "sweat equity" is worth at least 2 times more valuable? Pfft....I thought they tought this in RE classes across the country. guess I was wrong.

Just kidding. I'm actually not surprised. Buyers think homes are overpriced, sellers think their homes are worth more than they actually are.

Go figure.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:33 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
What's new about this?

Old 09-16-2011, 02:33 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
I go one better....Because I limit the geo area I work, I have first hand knowledge of the comparable properties, sold, pending and active. I know why a property sold for what it did, when it did. In otherwords, I produce the facts to support my opinion.

Since when do facts matter? Selling property is highly emotional. The general public persists with a common and mistaken beleif that listing agents sell property. Sellers tend to hire the agent that does the best job of selling themself. The agent who comes closest to the seller's perception of value often wins the listing. This is true regardless of the market.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 09-16-2011 at 02:52 PM..

Old 09-16-2011, 03:38 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,663,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Since when do facts matter? Selling property is highly emotional. The general public persists with a common and mistaken beleif that listing agents sell property. Sellers tend to hire the agent that does the best job of selling themself. The agent who comes closest to the seller's perception of value often wins the listing. This is true regardless of the market.

This I agree with.

Old 09-16-2011, 04:22 PM

575 posts, read 1,777,755 times
Sometimes I wonder whether people are completely ignorant about current market conditions, or whether they're willfully ignorant, and just can't come to terms with the fact that what's happening around them applies to their property as well. And I don't think it helps that so many people bought into the real estate prices never go down myth.

A would be seller near me just dropped his price for the 4th time. You'd think that might mean he's getting serious about selling, right? Not so fast though. His current asking price is $175,000 more than the exact same model house, located just down the street, sold for a couple of months ago. Granted the would be seller is on a slightly better lot and has done some upgrading, but IMO the guy is delusional if he thinks he's going to get that kind of premium.

Of course that doesn't excuse prospective buyers who are skittish about future price declines, so they low ball offer what they think the house might be worth 6 months or a year from now.

Old 09-16-2011, 06:22 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axiom View Post
Sometimes I wonder whether people are completely ignorant about current market conditions, or whether they're willfully ignorant, and just can't come to terms with the fact that what's happening around them applies to their property as well. And I don't think it helps that so many people bought into the real estate prices never go down myth.
It's called terminal uniqueness.

Short term memory or perhaps no knowledge that real estate fluctuates over time. There were several foreclosures in my sub division during the 90's. Only one in the 00's and that was because the owner passed away.
Home prices are off about 25% from peak.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:20 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,994,639 times
In our city, the average list price is more than $200,000 higher than the average sold price. We call the difference "fantasyland". An agent in our office just listed a house at a 10% higher price than it sold for in 2005 (we are down 40% or more since then). So the $798K list price is maybe a $450K house. I can't believe the agent took that listing since it's just money down the drain, and I just wonder what the seller is thinking.

And I've heard it all. "I'm not just going to give it away", "I'll just float it out there and see what happens", "I don't have to sell", "My house is better because..."

Old 09-18-2011, 01:37 PM

675 posts, read 1,815,872 times
So what I read somewhere in the internet is not totally wrong, they said usually the listing agent mark up the price about 25%, so the buyer can make offer for 25% less of the listing price and then go up a little bit...

Quote:
the $798K list price is maybe a $450K house
In your city, they list the price up to 77% higher than the value of the house?

Old 09-18-2011, 02:18 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBy View Post
So what I read somewhere in the internet is not totally wrong, they said usually the listing agent mark up the price about 25%, so the buyer can make offer for 25% less of the listing price and then go up a little bit...

In your city, they list the price up to 77% higher than the value of the house?
Angel, there is no magic %. You're going to drive yourself crazy looking for something that doesn't exist.

The point of this thread is that sellers value their home for more than what the market indicates they are actually worth. Ultimately a listing agent will list the home at whatever price the client (seller) requests. In the example you cited, based on the market in this particular area the home should be listed at $450k but THE CLIENT wants to list the home at $798k because thats what they feel the home is worth. When and if a buyer comes along comps are going to indicate that the home is worth closer to the $450k amount. Hence the "big disconnect between buyers and sellers in value"

NOWHERE in any of these posts has a single agent said "I always list the clients home at X% above comp value" so stop looking for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate