Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 12:45 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Are people OK with potential buyers not being made aware of who their new neighbor is going to be?

The problem is that he may not be a "bad" neighbor per se, but he may just clash with his current neighbors. We have lots of people in Oregon that are just like him and I tell buyers of rural properties to go hang out every day at the house and listen and watch the neighbors for a week. The problem Mr. Terranova has is that he looks like a selfish jerk by his actions. The problem he creates for himself is that there might be some people he would get along with just fine that will be put off by his sign because they see it as intensely disrespectful to his neighbors.

I agree with others that if he wants to shoot off fireworks on the 4th, go for it. I'm even okay with it on New Year's Eve or other celebrations. If he is shooting them off randomly year round, then that is what noise ordinances and codes are for.

So the question really is...are the people selling the home ultra sensitive that wanted total peace and quiet to the point that they hampered the ability of Mr. Terranova to enjoy his property?

I watched the video and the newscaster said he met the Rotts and they were "charming." It might be that some people are just freaked out by how big those dogs can be. I don't know.

If he is working in his shop and playing music in the middle of the day, that's one thing. If he is playing his music at 2am that's another thing.

The problem is that there is no context for why he felt compelled to put up the sign.

edit: Oh, and if I was the listing agent I would go over and meet with Mr. Terranova and ask him some questions to get to know him. If he seemed like a decent guy, I'd strongly encourage any interested buyers to meet him before ruling the house out. I'd also let any buyer agent know about the sign before a showing and that I had met the neighbor. If he really is a jerk, then at least it is out there. If he isn't and it is just a neighbor conflict, then I'd be all over preventing that from being an issue in the sale of the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 09:39 PM

2 posts, read 3,708 times
I wonder if Terranova will continue acting like such a jerk if it starts to affect his business.

If I lived in the Denver Metro area I sure as heck wouldn't have my plumbing, air conditioning or heating services taken care of by his company. Imagine what sort of service you could get from such an arrogant jerk.

Aaark Heating, Air Conditioning and Electrical - Arvada Colorado

Ted Terranova started Aaark Heating and Air Conditioning in the spring of 1984. At that time he had one van and one employee. The services that Ted offered were strictly heating and air conditioning service and installation.
Now Aaark has fourteen employees and eleven vehicles and has expanded its services to include heating, air conditioning, electrical and plumbing.
Services offered are: service, repair, replacement, new installations of all areas of heating, air conditioning, electrical and plumbing. As a result Aaark is now called Aaark Heating/Air Conditioning/Electrical and Plumbing.

Titus, Ted’s oldest son, joined the business in 1990. Titus apprenticed with an electrical contractor until he obtained his Master Electricians license. Titus continued on to obtained his Master of Heating/Ventilation and Hot Water Heat license. Currently he is working toward becoming a Master Plumber.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:48 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,871,033 times
The only rights I see being infringed are Mr Terranova's. He was up-front and honest, and now not only is he under attack locally but his name is being smeared across the internet, simply because he put some words on an RV.

The bully here isn't Mr Terranova, it's everyone else.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:33 AM

575 posts, read 1,777,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
He says he is anti-horse. This is advertised as a horse community correct?
Yep, that was one of the things that led me to call him a bully. If Mr.Titus is anti horse, perhaps buying in an equestrian zoned community wasn't a stellar decision. I'm not sure exactly what he's trying to say with his anti horse proclamation, but it reads threatening to me.

Add that to his little interview where he gestured at the flag and proclaimed it "gives me right to do whatever I want" granted he did add "unless I hurt somebody else" but that seemed to be a bit of an afterthought. His actions lead me to believe he doesn't believe the part about not infringing on others' rights nearly as much as he believes that his rights and preferences should be catered to.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:43 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,773,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinGlanzendMotorrad View Post
The only rights I see being infringed are Mr Terranova's. He was up-front and honest, and now not only is he under attack locally but his name is being smeared across the internet, simply because he put some words on an RV.

When one takes an action, they can expect a reaction, and possibly a backlash.

He started the issue by putting up the sign. Then he had a press interview where he said the flag "gave him the right to do anything he wanted to do".

He is actually getting what he asked for, but probably didn't expect.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:45 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axiom View Post
Yep, that was one of the things that led me to call him a bully. If Mr.Titus is anti horse, perhaps buying in an equestrian zoned community wasn't a stellar decision. I'm not sure exactly what he's trying to say with his anti horse proclamation, but it reads threatening to me.

Add that to his little interview where he gestured at the flag and proclaimed it "gives me right to do whatever I want" granted he did add "unless I hurt somebody else" but that seemed to be a bit of an afterthought. His actions lead me to believe he doesn't believe the part about not infringing on others' rights nearly as much as he believes that his rights and preferences should be catered to.

Until you see the full unedited clip, you don't know what he really said and whether or not there was a real pause in there. I've been interviewed by enough journalists to know that some serious editing goes on and interviews are not always placed in proper context.

His anti-horse comment might be as simple as he doesn't want your horse grazing on his land. I've sold horse properties and often neighbors will allow grazing on an unused parcel at no cost because they love horses. Maybe he doesn't want to be asked that. Maybe it means he doesn't want to pet your horse and feed it apples so don't ask him to be friendly to your horse.

There has to be a neighbor clash, IMO, in order for him to feel that he needs to put up a sign.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:14 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
There has to be a neighbor clash, IMO, in order for him to feel that he needs to put up a sign.
And such a clash very well just might (as so little actual fact is known)...
predate the current neighbor trying to now sell coming into the valley.

Mr T and his grandfather may have been living their version of Hillbilly Heaven for decades
prior to some developer type getting rights to his former hog farm neighbors place
and trying to gentrify the area into some sort of hoi polloi McMansion farmette bedroom suburb.

Fooled him, huh?

Old 09-25-2011, 01:16 PM

409 posts, read 872,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinGlanzendMotorrad View Post

I agree. If he is actually doing what the sign says, loud parties, rotties, etc, then he is basically saying: here is the situation of this neighborhood, don't move here if its going to be a problem. If I was the seller I would be mad but the buyers should thank him.

If his living arrangement is illegal, cars and parties too loud or he has too many dogs, then call the cops or the city. But if he is living within the city's laws then I don't see the sign as bullying. Again as a seller I wouldn't like it but as a buyer I'm glad the neighbor warned me to stay away.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:31 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,222,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Mr T and his grandfather may have been living their version of Hillbilly Heaven for decades prior to some developer type getting rights to his former hog farm neighbors place and trying to gentrify the area into some sort of hoi polloi McMansion farmette bedroom suburb.
Gee, then I guess the hillbillies should have bought the hog farm THEMSELVES in order to feel justified to continue their lifestyle with no regard to the rights of their new neighbors.

Boo-freakin'-hoo for how Grandfather T and his "Deliverance" offspring are now suffering and how THEIR rights are being abrogated...

Old 09-25-2011, 03:16 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,871,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
Gee, then I guess the hillbillies should have bought the hog farm THEMSELVES in order to feel justified to continue their lifestyle with no regard to the rights of their new neighbors.

Boo-freakin'-hoo for how Grandfather T and his "Deliverance" offspring are now suffering and how THEIR rights are being abrogated...
Well golly, maybe the buyers of that hog farm should have paid attention to the neighborhood if they wanted to live next to someone who shared their particular habits instead of buying next to someone who has fun at home instead of .. you know, I don't even know what the type of people who complain about every little thing someone does at their own home that they don't approve of even DO for fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate