Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2013, 06:27 PM

397 posts, read 613,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Right, that's why I said - "location, location, location." Or did you missed that after I repeated it about five times? Obviously, the appreciating is going to be much less twenty years from now for someone buying today in Mobile, AL vs someone buying in NY, NY. That's why in real estate they say the three most important things are: location, location, location. Did you not know that?
Location may dictate relative value, however it does not necessarily predict appreciation.

Sure a studio on Park Ave in the Big Apple may command 10x more than a similar property in Mobile. But that does not mean it is going to appreciate more in 20 years. Expensive markets tend to be more volatile so if the market swings the wrong way the NY buyer may lose out.

Last edited by Count David; 06-26-2013 at 08:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 06:42 PM

92 posts, read 114,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Exactly... the question is no one has a crystal ball and unless you are in the market you will always be on the outside looking in.

As to the example commented on... back in the early 80's people were paying as much as 17% mortgage interest... some would say now with lowest in a lifetime interest is a great time... I just refied at 2.75%. Never would I ever have believed I would have a rate like this... EVER!

I bought my first home in East Oakland the same year I got my engineering degree.

The home was scheduled for condemnation hearing... it did have the utilities still on.

Every person tried to talk me out of it... even my step grandfathered told my grandmother he didn't have the heart to tell me I would be better to simply walk away.

Over the years the home increased many many times and then the bubble burst... it is still worth about 4x times what I paid and double what I have in it...

I can't wait until 17% -20% interest rates return. That means today's inflated house prices will come back down significantly.
What we need in this country is Deflation but the Banks and the Rich are afraid of Deflation and asset price collapse. Raise the interest rates toward 17% and homes will be on sale for a half price.
Make our dollar expensive, let indebted individuals and companies default or pay the debt quickly.
Time to reward the responsible savers not speculators who took more debt.

But Ben Bernanake who servers his Masters ( Banks and the Rich ) is afraid of depression so he is printing billions of dollars to prevent Deflation and spark another inflation. After all those programs, QE1, QE2, QE3/4, ZIRP and etc our economy is not growing.

Remember, the best time to buy a house is when interest rates are at all time high, that means you are getting the lowest possible purchase price, and that is what you want to capture.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:44 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,231,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
You keep altering your point to attempt to be correct. You I really said 2009-2012 which for the most part has only seen moderate increases. Your first post was very general and only after people pointed out examples of just SF can't be applied broadly you've then since become more specific.
I said if someone had bought between 2009 to early 2012, they would have enjoyed very good appreciation NOW. You can go back and re-read if you have to.

You took that to mean: only appreciation from 2009 to 2012, which is not the case and doesn't even make sense - why would I only count the appreciation between 2009 to 2012? What's the point in that when we're talking about RE today?

I became more specific because apparently some people (you) takes a fact regarding a general market and tried to apply it to a very specific local market. I talked about the US market in general, which has seen significant appreciation in recent years, that's a fact. Backed up by numerous news articles. You tried to debunk that by only using observation from your local market, which makes no sense; hence the need to point out that the facts were based on major US cities but not on your specific neighborhood.

I'm not sure why you keep arguing that US RE market hasn't gone up significantly, not just in one place but in many places. If you're right then a lot of news organizations and US statistics are wrong. You can't argue against facts. Why do you keep dwelling on this?

Last edited by beb0p; 06-26-2013 at 06:57 PM..

Old 06-26-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE Skeptic View Post

Location may dictate relative value, however it does not necessarily predict appreciation.

Sure a studio on Park Ave in the Big Apple may command 10x more than a similar property in Mobile. But that does not mean it is going to appreciate more in 20 years. Expensive markets tend to be more volatile so if the market swings the wrong way the NY buyer may lose out.

Where did you get that expensive market tends to be more volatile? It's not as simple as ___ market is more volatile. All markets go up and down of course but there are different types. Some markets are much less volatile but they don't appreciates. Some markets are bust and boom. Some appreciates steadily. Some appreciates a lot in short period of time and then steadies. Some are actually depreciating.

All real estate is local. There is no broad stroke that covers every market. But I do now that that studio in Manhattan will appreciate more in 20 yrs than a similarly priced house in Mobile, AL. That's doesn't mean Mobile is not a good place to live, but if we're only talking about appreciation then Manhattan beats Mobile.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:59 PM

397 posts, read 613,771 times
Quote:
Where did you get that expensive market tends to be more volatile? My experience has always been the reverse - cheaper, less desirable markets tend to be more volatile (see Las Vegas, Stockton, etc) while expensive ones tend to be less volatile (see NY, SF, LA, etc). Yes, all real estate goes up and down but some markets tend to fall faster, further, and recovers slower than other markets and vice versa; and how a market behaves is generally not a secret.

My posterior...

The same place you got the idea that location dictates appreciation.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:40 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,192 times
Quote:
I said if someone had bought between 2009 to early 2012, they would have enjoyed very good appreciation NOW. You can go back and re-read if you have to.

You took that to mean: only appreciation from 2009 to 2012, which is not the case and doesn't even make sense - why would I only count the appreciation between 2009 to 2012? What's the point in that when we're talking about RE today?

I became more specific because apparently some people (you) takes a fact regarding a general market and tried to apply it to a very specific local market. I talked about the US market in general, which has seen significant appreciation in recent years, that's a fact. Backed up by numerous news articles. You tried to debunk that by only using observation from your local market, which makes no sense; hence the need to point out that the facts were based on major US cities but not on your specific neighborhood.

I'm not sure why you keep arguing that US RE market hasn't gone up significantly, not just in one place but in many places. If you're right then a lot of news organizations and US statistics are wrong. You can't argue against facts. Why do you keep dwelling on this?
No. December 2009 until April 2013 is 4%. It is around 6% on average from 2009 until present day. Hardly the great return you suggested but you were referencing your knowledge of SF.

I bought a house in 2006/sold in 2008 and made 15k. I bought a forclosure in 2009 and it has increased 10%. I'm not disagreeing with you because I am bitter about real estate. It simply is just not as easy and risk adverse as your first post claimed.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:27 PM

127 posts, read 240,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
I always wonder how do people (in general) afford such high price homes and where do they get the down payment money??
LOL! You actually cannot buy much of anything here in Southern California for $400,000...that will barely get you a very small 2bd condo in a good area like Irvine. An entry level home of decent size (2000 sqft) is upwards of $700,000. So if you think $400k is high you will be shocked when you see prices in Southern California.

Well, people just shrug and pay the prices. Some people are high dual income earners ($100,000+ each) so they can afford it. Others use government programs like FHA that allow 50% DTIs and 3.5% downpayments to lower monthly payments. Some others are investors with all cash.

There are also many young Asian buyers in SoCal who get a lot of money from parents for a downpayment. For instance I know this couple, one makes $75k, the other makes $65k so joint income is $140,000. They have $50,000 saved up and the parents will give them $50,000 for a down as a gift. The rest they are borrowing from their 401k. They have no debt. They are buying a $650,000 house with 20% down. So, this is a very common scenario.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:13 PM

19 posts, read 28,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
Just a general question but I often watch shows like House Hunters, My First Home and Property Virgins and the buyers had budgets of $400k and up.

I always wonder how do people (in general) afford such high price homes and where do they get the down payment money?

Is it equity from a previous home? Savings? Inheritances? Are these people just highly paid? Cashing out 401K?

How do people do it? Can anyone share some experiences?

welfare fraud pays well I hear..

Old 06-28-2013, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
No. December 2009 until April 2013 is 4%. It is around 6% on average from 2009 until present day. Hardly the great return you suggested but you were referencing your knowledge of SF.

I bought a house in 2006/sold in 2008 and made 15k. I bought a forclosure in 2009 and it has increased 10%. I'm not disagreeing with you because I am bitter about real estate. It simply is just not as easy and risk adverse as your first post claimed.
Ok, let's check the median home price in mid-2009 and mid-2013 according to NAR.

Quote:
5/12/2009

The median U.S. single-family house price in the first quarter fell 14% from a year earlier to $169,000, the National Association of Realtors reported on Tuesday.

Median Home Price Falls to $169,000, NAR Reports

Quote:

6/20/2013

The national median existing-home price3 for all housing types was $208,000 in May, up 15.4 percent from May 2012.

Existing-Home Sales Rise in May with Strong Price Increases
From 2009 to 2013, median price increase from $169k to $208k, that's a 23% increase.

I'm still puzzled where you get the 4% from.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE Skeptic View Post
My posterior...

The same place you got the idea that location dictates appreciation.

In that case, your idea should be flushed down the toilet just like all the other stuff that comes out of your posterior.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate