Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2016, 06:24 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,744,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
Just a general question but I often watch shows like House Hunters, My First Home and Property Virgins and the buyers had budgets of $400k and up.

I always wonder how do people (in general) afford such high price homes and where do they get the down payment money?

Is it equity from a previous home? Savings? Inheritances? Are these people just highly paid? Cashing out 401K?

How do people do it? Can anyone share some experiences?
Some people have no choice because they live in areas where small fixer uppers cost $400K and up. Normally they make more in that area, but of course there are minimum wage workers everywhere and I don't know who they can even make ends meet. Now a $400K mortgage.

Income required for mortgage calculator

here is a calculation which shows you only need an income of $77K to buy the home and payments as low as $1800 a month, but taxes and insurance will add to that. It doesn't say with how much down, but you can put less down and pay more per month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2016, 12:06 PM

17,296 posts, read 12,225,030 times
Well, according to that I could afford a $570k house. But I feel like I'm splurging getting a new $250k house.

Old 07-10-2016, 03:09 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,187,363 times
OP: apart from my earlier comment, I'll point out that those shows (well, at least House Hunters) also show plenty of episodes where people have price limits of around $200,000 and under, which happen to be some of my favorite episodes! There's something there for everyone and not everyone can afford a $400,000+ home.

Old 07-10-2016, 04:48 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,328,356 times
$400,000 for a home? You want to know what $400,000 buys you in my area? Not much. Homes sell well here where I live and if you can find a $400,000 home it will not last long at all. I have no idea how people buy homes. I always thought that they save up the down payment, make sure that they have a job that pays, and go from there. In out area you can get first time buyers assistance. Not that it is a good thing. You will end up paying PMI until you have paid off 22% of the original cost of the home.

One of my co-workers son's and his wife recently went under contract on a $600,000 home. They both work and have a combined income of over $160,000. For the past 5 years they have been saving their money living as cheaply as possible. They live in a small apartment right now. They put down just over 20% of the cost of the home or just over $120,000 that they had saved over the years.

Another close friend and his wife lived with her parents for the first 7 years of their marriage saving money for a down payment. That was over 20 years ago and when they bought their home the house cost less than $240,000. They also put down at least 20%.

1720 N M St, Oxnard, CA 93030 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

400 Hazelwood Dr, Oxnard, CA 93030 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

1820 Oneida Pl, Oxnard, CA 93030 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

515 N Roosevelt Ave, Oxnard, CA 93030 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

1303 Sombra Way, Oxnard, CA 93030 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

1731 Coronado Pl, Oxnard, CA 93030 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Old 07-10-2016, 09:21 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,762,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
Just a general question but I often watch shows like House Hunters, My First Home and Property Virgins and the buyers had budgets of $400k and up.

I always wonder how do people (in general) afford such high price homes and where do they get the down payment money?

Is it equity from a previous home? Savings? Inheritances? Are these people just highly paid? Cashing out 401K?

How do people do it? Can anyone share some experiences?

I always wondered this, too, especially since most of them are very young couples. Could be anything - help from family, inheritance, perhaps they made money in prior real estate.

I don't attribute it to income since the couples tend to be so young, with often only one of them working.

Old 07-11-2016, 12:14 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,885,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
$400,000 for a home? You want to know what $400,000 buys you in my area? Not much. Homes sell well here where I live and if you can find a $400,000 home it will not last long at all. I have no idea how people buy homes. I always thought that they save up the down payment, make sure that they have a job that pays, and go from there. In out area you can get first time buyers assistance. Not that it is a good thing. You will end up paying PMI until you have paid off 22% of the original cost of the home.

One of my co-workers son's and his wife recently went under contract on a $600,000 home. They both work and have a combined income of over $160,000. For the past 5 years they have been saving their money living as cheaply as possible. They live in a small apartment right now. They put down just over 20% of the cost of the home or just over $120,000 that they had saved over the years.

Another close friend and his wife lived with her parents for the first 7 years of their marriage saving money for a down payment. That was over 20 years ago and when they bought their home the house cost less than $240,000. They also put down at least 20%.

1720 N M St, Oxnard, CA 93030 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

400 Hazelwood Dr, Oxnard, CA 93030 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

1820 Oneida Pl, Oxnard, CA 93030 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

515 N Roosevelt Ave, Oxnard, CA 93030 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

1303 Sombra Way, Oxnard, CA 93030 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

1731 Coronado Pl, Oxnard, CA 93030 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®
Pushaw- that ain't nothing

This is what almost 1/2 $Million gets you around my neck of the woods. Note the lot size is smaller than most of those houses. Edit: I see it is not listed here, the lot is -1500 sf. Oh yeah. And they even dropped the price $5k- such a bargain now.

Check out this home at Realtor.com
$434,900
2beds · 1baths
3663 Florida St, San Diego
3663 Florida St, San Diego, CA 92104 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

While it is an overall desirable neighborhood/urban location, this isn't in a better area within it, surrounded by apartments.

I have no idea how folks afford a regular, decent sized house on a good lot much less these doll houses around here. All I know is I'm glad we bought 20 years ago, it wasn't cheap compared to the rest of the country, but it was in line with prices in other desirable cities at the time. Now it is just crazy.

Old 07-11-2016, 01:29 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,328,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Pushaw- that ain't nothing

This is what almost 1/2 $Million gets you around my neck of the woods. Note the lot size is smaller than most of those houses. Edit: I see it is not listed here, the lot is -1500 sf. Oh yeah. And they even dropped the price $5k- such a bargain now.

Check out this home at Realtor.com
$434,900
2beds · 1baths
3663 Florida St, San Diego
3663 Florida St, San Diego, CA 92104 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

While it is an overall desirable neighborhood/urban location, this isn't in a better area within it, surrounded by apartments.

I have no idea how folks afford a regular, decent sized house on a good lot much less these doll houses around here. All I know is I'm glad we bought 20 years ago, it wasn't cheap compared to the rest of the country, but it was in line with prices in other desirable cities at the time. Now it is just crazy.
Well that is crazy. LOL I realize we are not as bad as some areas within the state. Compared to other states though, even over in Oxnard prices are way up there.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:52 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,350,616 times
Well, I think this beats what you guys have posted:

Glorified tool shed listed for ‘only’ $500K in Brooklyn | New York Post

Old 07-11-2016, 07:05 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,885,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
2000sf lot in Brooklyn ain't too shabby, even though the structure is, with urban codes that I'm sure allow a good sized, probably multi-family structure. There was a similar shed/house in San Francisco on a tiny plot that I think went for something like $800k- a couple of hundred thousand over asking if I remember right.

It's all cash offers there though.

Old 07-12-2016, 02:06 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,350,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
2000sf lot in Brooklyn ain't too shabby, even though the structure is, with urban codes that I'm sure allow a good sized, probably multi-family structure. There was a similar shed/house in San Francisco on a tiny plot that I think went for something like $800k- a couple of hundred thousand over asking if I remember right.

It's all cash offers there though.
The people who buy these type of places know the right people to get their work pushed through, even if it wasn't allowed in the first place. That area is just a few short blocks from a HUGE train yard and they get people to buy condos they've built right next to it, so there will always be buyers as well. That area is just meh---kind of ugly.

We have people on a regular basis in my neighborhood just come in, buy a property for over a million (huge house), raze it, build a practically new mansion from the basement up and it kind of makes me sad when the houses aren't even in bad shape. Actually one guy illegally tore down an entire house and years later, because of all of the legal issues, it's still just an empty lot. Honestly, more than anything, it just blows my mind how many people have the money to do the things they do to houses here on a consistent basis.

Someone down the block from me completely gutted a house and spent a ridiculous amount of money on the outside, which isn't even complete. Now they are trying to get 1.2 million on the house that needs to be completely redone in the first place, when you could probably just get a house that's ready to go for the same price. I guess they can always try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate