Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 04:17 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,054,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453
Contact the investor who bought the property. Ask him if he wants to make
a quick buck by selling you the property for a small profit over what he paid.
... few if any of them will do this. ... only to make a small
profit if the potential is there to make so much more.
For the investor: A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

For the non-cash buyer: It never hurts to ask.

( corrolary is : It is always easier to get forgiveness than permission. )

As an investor in another arena, if I buy something and get a quick and
unexpected profit, I always sell - even if I anticipate higher prices.

It never hurts to ask ( or offer, in this case ).

Of course, there are going to be different definitions of "small profit"
between people. A quick 3% can be very nice on a $200k investment, but is the
non-cash investor going to be able to come up with $6k extra? Maybe. Maybe not.

Last edited by mortimer; 10-25-2011 at 04:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 08:22 AM

10,940 posts, read 21,919,205 times
I ignored this thread for a while but I may as well throw my 2 cents in. I understand you're frustrated that you're getting beat out for homes. If you want to pay more than the investor you can always do that and get the home but that's not my primary point.

Investors are good because the keep the market moving along. They rehab houses that most owner occupants can't or won't, whether its financial limitations, financing limitations, or time limitations. They help neighborhoods from having those eyesores sit around. They help property value when they resell the fixed up properties.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:34 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,652,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eger View Post
I know for a Real Estate Agent investors are great, but for the person looking for a home for their family it's a kill joy. Trying to buy a short sale in my area is frustrating when every time you submit a offer an investor gets it becuase it's a cash sale. Another offer taken off the table
Bin there dun that in Phoenix. I walked away in disgust, I was walking around with cash and couldn't buy a house. I'd sooner deal with a Used Car Salesman

Old 10-26-2011, 10:01 AM

174 posts, read 589,889 times
Years ago, I used to admire people that made money “investing” in properties—buying them cheap and flipping them for big profit. Now that I’m older and realize how damaging speculating in a basic need such as shelter has been to our society, I’m not so enamored.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:10 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,735,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newt View Post
Years ago, I used to admire...
How far back does your "years ago" reference go?

Quote:
Now that I’m older and realize how damaging speculating...
This lament is about the "how" aspect and that for a only brief period of excess...
and most of that problem was still based in the loan/appraisal end of things.

Buying a property at a low price because it is rundown or for other reasons...
and then repairing that mess to make it habitable again whether as a rental or for purchase
(at a profit to the people investing and working) is anything but damaging to society.

hth

Old 10-26-2011, 10:33 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,054,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational
Buying a property ... then repairing that mess ...
is anything but damaging to society.
Agreed.

Thanks for saving me the trouble of making a similar post.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:03 AM

174 posts, read 589,889 times
Oh, I see now. It's doing God's work, kind of like Lloyd Blankfein said he's doing over at Goldman Sachs.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:15 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,735,893 times
Quote:
Oh, I see now. It's doing God's work, kind of like Lloyd Blankfein said he's doing over at Goldman Sachs.
Did you have some other or an actual point to make?
If so... feel free.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:44 PM

10,940 posts, read 21,919,205 times
Quote:
Would you prefer the decrepit home sit there until it finally gets condemned and bulldozed leaving a pile of trash behind? I'm certainly open to alternatives if you have them?

Old 10-26-2011, 04:53 PM

14 posts, read 75,205 times
It only irritates me when there's an older home with original features that I'd like to buy and restore. Instead a flipper outbids me with cash and then guts the place and puts new cheap cabinets and granite countertops in. He might relist it at a price I can still afford (but usually most times not), but the charm of the house is lost to me.

Whatever happened to people being able to buy houses and fix them up the way they want them to be gradually over time? Just because I can't afford to fully gut a property all at once doesn't mean I don't have intent to fix it up over time in my own way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate