Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 03:23 AM

6,572 posts, read 6,738,168 times

Advertisements

Guys I have a 1950s 950 sq foot ranch. Is it worth getting blow-in insulation ? I'm concerned that the insulation might just fall into the walls in an uneven manner & not do me any good. Has anyone had experience insulating an older home like mine ? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 06:38 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,533,783 times
The quick answer is yes.
You do not say weather you want this for the attic or the sidewalls. If blown in properly with uniform density, especially on a ranch, it will be fine.

It would be more helpful if you posted what you have in the Attic now, what you have in the exterior sidewalls now, what type of exterior siding you have, and about where you are...(Florida or Maine??).

In short, it is not too difficult to install blown in Cellulose yourself......your return on investment would usually be very quick.

Basically, what you pay to do this will be returned to you in lower utility bills...then after you have recouped your cost the money keeps going into your pocket for as long as you own your house. A small energy efficient home like yours can be a joy to live in.

Frank

Old 10-30-2011, 07:20 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Generally adding insulation to the space between the roof and ceilings is THE MOST COST EFFECTIVE WAY to reduce heating and cooling costs. The way that pretty much all homes have been framed includes a "top plate" for all wall cavities -- it is not really possible for insulation in the "attic" to fall down the walls...

If you do have the exterior walls "blown" with insulation the skill of the installers and the specifics of the framing will determine with the insulation even distributed. Many energy audit firms will be able to do "before and after" IR imaging to validate that the insulation ends up where it does the most good...

The "return on investment" for the attic space is FAR QUICKER than that for walls -- some would say that it only makes sense to do the walls after all the other easier efforts at insulation / weather sealing / HVAC efficiency are tackled. I tend to agree...

Old 10-30-2011, 09:30 AM

11,759 posts, read 14,652,372 times
The best thing you could do is get an energy audit. They will test the energy efficiency of your house and tell you what is the most cost-justified approach to increasing energy efficiency.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:23 AM

75 posts, read 177,007 times
I received $950 for my attic insulation project after my audit. I removed (long story) the cellulose and then sealed everything tight. Then blew in R-50 fiberglass. Cost me $1100 after the rebate for 1400 sq feet.

Insulation wont help much if you have infiltration. And its cheaper to hire someone but make sure he doesn't hire crackheads.

Old 10-30-2011, 12:28 PM

Thanks everyone The house is in New Hampshire. I have a small, typical attic space above the ranch house. The house has vinyl siding. From what I gather the side-walls can be difficult, but doing the attic space is the most practical way to go. There is no insulation in the attic space at all right now. Thanks for the info. I'll do the attic now, and think about the side-walls in the future.

Last edited by Brave Stranger; 10-30-2011 at 12:37 PM..

Old 10-30-2011, 12:38 PM

75 posts, read 177,007 times
You may want to add ventilation if there isnt. The easiest are gable vents but the best is soffit and ridge. All of the above if you can. A unventilated attic will add A/C load in the summer. Hard on shingles and will create ice damns in the winter. Seal up all wire holes and light fixtures.

How to Seal Attic Air Leaks | The Family Handyman

Energy Savers: Attic Insulation

http://www.energystar.gov/ia/partner...e_May_2008.pdf

Now before you insulate is the time to do it!

Old 10-30-2011, 01:36 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
When I remodeled a home in New Orleans, we found there was no insulation in the outer walls. In some rooms we were down to the studs anyway, so those were insulated before closing them up. In my bedroom (north side), they cut a strip in the sheetrock about 5-6 ft up along the length of the wall and blew in insulation. My rooms were much more comfortable after that and my energy bills dropped. Oh, and they blew some more in small center attic (house had cathedral celings).

Old 10-30-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rerod View Post
You may want to add ventilation if there isnt. The easiest are gable vents but the best is soffit and ridge. All of the above if you can. A unventilated attic will add A/C load in the summer. Hard on shingles and will create ice damns in the winter. Seal up all wire holes and light fixtures.

How to Seal Attic Air Leaks | The Family Handyman

Energy Savers: Attic Insulation

http://www.energystar.gov/ia/partner...e_May_2008.pdf

Now before you insulate is the time to do it!
Good points There is a vent that I see on one side of the attic space. I'll have to get up there & look around. I'm working with a handyman right now doing various jobs around the house so I can run the vent situation by him before I insulate.

Last edited by Brave Stranger; 10-30-2011 at 02:21 PM..

Old 10-30-2011, 02:06 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,430,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
The best thing you could do is get an energy audit. They will test the energy efficiency of your house and tell you what is the most cost-justified approach to increasing energy efficiency.

Totally agree with this. I have a 1960's home and did the energy audit. It tells you where the leaks and such are. Oh and the best part is that they might be free in your area. We have the NW Energy Trust out here in Oregon that does them for free. See if you have one in your area. Our energy trust also gives rebates. We did blown in insulation in our attic for $300 after our rebates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate