Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 02:02 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,906,871 times

Advertisements

Great attitude to go in with...there are OTHER homes..and LOL (with sincerity) on the master bedroom comment..alot of people here view the master DOWN as a problem. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 05:10 PM

759 posts, read 3,689,421 times
Just thought I would update... after talking back and forth, we went up to $330K (our max) and they came down from $362K to $348K with a Nov 1 close (they are building a house). Well, it's just not a deal we feel confortable with. So it's a no-go.

There will be other houses... there WILL be other houses...

Old 08-27-2007, 05:25 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,819,580 times
This is just a personal observation on my part, but I would NEVER buy a house that was in the 100 year flood plain. I say this because we had 3 feet of water in our house in another part of Texas and that house wasn't in the 100 year flood plain. It always amazes me when I hear people talk about buying a house that is in the 100 year flood plain!

Old 08-27-2007, 06:00 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren0319 View Post
Just thought I would update... after talking back and forth, we went up to $330K (our max) and they came down from $362K to $348K with a Nov 1 close (they are building a house). Well, it's just not a deal we feel confortable with. So it's a no-go.

There will be other houses... there WILL be other houses...
First,
I'm sorry it didn't work out, it sounds like you really liked it. Take heart though, I'll bet that you aren't the only one that will figure out the comps aren't right and they will end up wishing they took your offer! On the plus side, I agree with the poster above about the 100 year flood plane.. When we lived in Norhtern CA the town of Gurneyville had 100 year floods 3 years in a row! That's all the news kept saying "tonights news..... Town has 100 year flood....people evacuated for the second time in 2 years, FEMA has to rebuild houses for second time"....

Keep looking, the right one will come along.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:59 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,149,303 times
Lauren - Have you looked at the website militarybyowner? I know a lot of agents in my neck of the woods use it, in addition to property owners tryig to sell on their own. And many of those will compensate your agent. Hope this helps, and good luck!

Old 08-27-2007, 11:10 PM

631 posts, read 2,445,584 times
by Jimj"one is making the offer good for 2 hours, and for a number like $322,243.98."

That is an interesting concept but would never work in my neck of the woods.
Would be fun to try it once!
I have to think thru the holidays and weekends before I lay an offer to another broker in my local. If I write an offer on a Thursday, I give till Tuesday at the least for an answer. There is NO sense of urgency here.
It drives me insane! I accomodiate for the broker to be closed on weekends, holidays or is she/he has a school function to attend before my offer will ever make it to the seller!
If I write a short notice it will expire before their seller ever gets it.

It's like I have to change gears if someone wants to buy someone elses listing! I'm back to 3rd gear. I will initially prepare the buyers for the delay and the idea of having to write offer #2 as offer #1 will expire if not enough time for delivery from broker(which I can get to them in minutes) then from them, to the seller. I just lost a deal as the seller and broker dinked around long enough, my first time buyers finally got cold feet. I think 3 weeks was enough time to make up a mind!

Old 09-01-2007, 11:01 AM

39 posts, read 176,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren0319 View Post
Hello everyone! I apologize in advance if this is not the board for me. I am in the market to buy a home in San Antonio. I have been pre-approved and my house in Ft Worth has sold (closed Friday!!!) I am staying with my parents as I am house hunting.
My husband and I have found a house that we love. However, based on comps from the neighborhood on very similar homes, this home is very over priced. Homes in the neighborhood have sold for an average of $112 sq ft over the past year. This house is listed at $125 sq ft. It does not have any additional upgrades that makes this jump in price understandable.
Unfortunately for us, it has only been on the market for 13 days. We do not know the background of the sellers (don't know if they *have* to move or not) They have small children and do not appear to be packing.
We are going to make an offer today and we are going to offer $40K less than asking. (They are asking $362K and we think, based on comps, $322K is more than fair.) Is there anything we can do to make this "low" offer more appealing. More earnest money? Anything?
Thanks for your help! We have been house hunting since July and are thrilled to find a home that meets our needs. We would love to see this work out.

My best advice is to ask for a meeting with the seller and their agent...present the comps and supporting evidence for your offer...perhaps their agent just listed what the seller wanted and not what is supported in the area. There is no need to be more appealing...don't pay more than what it is worth...if the seller rejects the offer..then look for another house.

Old 09-02-2007, 11:52 AM

340 posts, read 1,445,769 times
I'm also looking in that area which is very busy right now.Be aware of the property tax scenario there.It will be based on the new sale price and you can't go off the old taxes because many qualify for tax exemptions.I'm sure you've read the forum for S.A. and noticed values are going up pretty steadily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate