Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 07:11 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times

Advertisements

Also look into the national flood insurance program. Really cheap and the only one that covers rising water.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 07:17 PM

863 posts, read 2,992,832 times
I suggest also check into replacement value coverage. Meaning if you DO need to make a claim, they will reimburse you the current rate to replace your possessions. Without it you get the depreciated value for your losses and it will NOT likely cover the cost of buying a new one.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:41 PM

483 posts, read 1,559,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by str8 View Post
I am a first time homeowner. My wife and I are both in our mid to late 20's are going to close on a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom house that is about 1900 square foot. We have our car insurance and our current renter's insurance with GEICO, but the quote that we received for our Homeowner's insurance seems quite high at $716 annually under Travellers for approximately $205k worth of property in the state of PA.

Who should I go with?

Whats a good rate?
You need to do your research and ignore the people on CD from other states who are telling you $716 is expensive or $716 is cheap. Insurance is VERY dependent on location due to vast differences in risk and cost of construction. Plus you didn't tell us anything about the coverage and deductibles. In some places $716 would be very reasonable, in other places $716 is downright cheap. How the heck can someone here say $716 is a good deal or not when they know nothing about his coverage, deductible, and exact location?

Old 11-13-2011, 11:56 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,074,346 times
You didn't mention getting a quote from Geico.
When getting quotes make sure you are comparing apples with apples, property coverage limits, fire, theft, storm, replacement cost, etc. Include liability limits in your comparison too.
Most policies don't cover "flood damage", and insurance companies like to play semantics when it comes to their definition of "flood damage", you need to get a rider or buy a policy from the Government's Flood Insurance program, too many find out the hard way they don't have coverage.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:48 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,929,395 times
Forgot to mention this. You may want to check your C.L.U.E cause that will affect your rate as well.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:18 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,600,605 times
I would suggest you check into the differences between the two quotes. The policy with the higher premium may include more coverage with a lower deductible versus the lower quote having less coverage with a higher deductible. I just went through this earlier this year myself. It will drive you crazy if you let it. Oh and yes, my homeowner's insurance premium here in Tampa exceeds the total of your two quotes for a similar size home.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:13 PM

249 posts, read 803,430 times
Don't know if it's available in your area, but we like Guide One for over 12 years. The premiums are low, mostly because they insure more responsible people. I have only made one claim (falling tree on car) but it was handled promptly, courteously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate