Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 07:58 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,609,076 times

Advertisements

The short answer to this question is that buyers will "prefer" that you spend as much as possible on your kitchen, they just won't pay any more for those upgrades. In my market, there are some $70k homes with granite & stainless & $700k homes with white appliances & laminate countertops.

Most homes in my market have whatever the builder installed in them. Those are your "comps". If you can make the kitchen look better with paint, knobs, and a countertop, that's how you make money.

There are many, many homes in my area with 30 year-old particle-board cabinets that have held up fine, and the occasional flipper who has figured out how to refinish those cabinets gets just as much money at closing as the guy who actually payed the money for super-high quality cabinets.

The OP's kitchen would look fine with fresh paint, or if you want to "live a little" & splurge, pick one of the in-stock cabinets at the Depot or Lowes, wait for a 20% off sale & put new builder-grade cabinets in. I think you would have a very hard time spending $2k on in-stock cabinets for that kitchen, and a buyer wouldn't know the difference, or pay any extra for "better" cabinets that they didn't pick themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 03:15 PM

630 posts, read 1,711,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
The short answer to this question is that buyers will "prefer" that you spend as much as possible on your kitchen, they just won't pay any more for those upgrades. In my market, there are some $70k homes with granite & stainless & $700k homes with white appliances & laminate countertops.

Most homes in my market have whatever the builder installed in them. Those are your "comps". If you can make the kitchen look better with paint, knobs, and a countertop, that's how you make money.

There are many, many homes in my area with 30 year-old particle-board cabinets that have held up fine, and the occasional flipper who has figured out how to refinish those cabinets gets just as much money at closing as the guy who actually payed the money for super-high quality cabinets.

The OP's kitchen would look fine with fresh paint, or if you want to "live a little" & splurge, pick one of the in-stock cabinets at the Depot or Lowes, wait for a 20% off sale & put new builder-grade cabinets in. I think you would have a very hard time spending $2k on in-stock cabinets for that kitchen, and a buyer wouldn't know the difference, or pay any extra for "better" cabinets that they didn't pick themselves.
I understand what you are saying..however the market is different here due to supply and demand. We are buying a foreclosure in an upscale neighborhood. We are paying $140k less than the next listed house. Had this house been given better quality builing materials..like cabinets and flooring.. minus the yellow and orange spongepaint on most of the walls, it would have been listed for the same. Or more. There is a big difference between particle board (what's there now) and super high end. The right cabinets for this house/neighborhood lies somewhere in between. We are confident that with a decent reno..we will have a much better return overall.

I disagree about Lowe's and Home Depot..I can spend less at a cabinet company here and get a better product. Lowe's was $6k for their cheapest cabs..I'm paying $4300 for Aristokraft w/local co. Not going crazy but chose a nice middle grade cabinet with some features that I will enjoy while we live there. Which could be 2 yrs..or it could be 5.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:00 PM

5,586 posts, read 8,358,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Pajama mama~ View Post
I agree..after we invest this amount of money in the cabinets..not gonna skimp on install. I was surprised to find the kitchen/bath companies here don't install. We have to find a contractor ourselves to install..so the search is on. Made difficult by the fact that we are new to the area.

I also wanted to add that Desertsun was right on about Lowe's versus cabinet company. For similar line cab co was 1/2 the price of lowe's..not to mention lowes install was $1600. That equates to about $85/box. I think I read somewhere $25 was average.

Just caught this. Thanks for the tip..question though. Where do the seems need to be? Is there a better place than another for it to be?
Well, I don't know where the "best" place for seams are, but I know I didn't want them to be noticeable. In my 2003 reno (using granite), the seam was in the middle of the sink area, and the installers did an excellent job in concealing them. In my latest reno (Silestone quartz), I requested and they were able to accommodate no seam at all. (But it's a small counter). Anyway, all the "seam" recommendations above are good ones, and the reason you should not skimp on your granite installer. This is an area where I think "you get what you pay for".

Last edited by Avalon08; 11-27-2011 at 11:01 PM.. Reason: fixing quote

Old 11-27-2011, 11:15 PM

I forgot to mention, the other thing I learned about cabinets (from renovating my kitchen) is that it's much cheaper to do standard-size cabinets (15", 24", 30", etc.) rather than custom-made. I guess that's Captain Obvious, but I didn't really understand all that going in. With non-custom cabinets, however, there is a need sometimes for "fill" pieces if there are a few inches to spare.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:51 PM

Quote:
I understand what you are saying..however the market is different here due to supply and demand. We are buying a foreclosure in an upscale neighborhood. We are paying $140k less than the next listed house. Had this house been given better quality builing materials..like cabinets and flooring.. minus the yellow and orange spongepaint on most of the walls, it would have been listed for the same. Or more. There is a big difference between particle board (what's there now) and super high end. The right cabinets for this house/neighborhood lies somewhere in between. We are confident that with a decent reno..we will have a much better return overall.

I disagree about Lowe's and Home Depot..I can spend less at a cabinet company here and get a better product. Lowe's was $6k for their cheapest cabs..I'm paying $4300 for Aristokraft w/local co. Not going crazy but chose a nice middle grade cabinet with some features that I will enjoy while we live there. Which could be 2 yrs..or it could be 5.
Your local cabinet guy is not cheaper than the in-stock cabinets at lowes or HD. Even in an "upscale" neighborhood, the cabinets installed by the builder WILL HAVE particle board boxes. That is, and has been, the standard for many years. That is what you're competing against when you go to sell. Paying more might make you feel better, but it won't translate into more $$ at closing.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:17 AM

I paid under $3000 for my cabinets at Ikea, and they were the most expensive of their cabinet styles. It was about another $1800 for the contractor to assemble and install them. My contractor commented on the high quality of their hardware. I have the high-end features like soft-close hinges, and a built-in pantry with roll-out drawers. I know you've already chosen your style, but I'm just mentioning Ikea in case anyone else might be interested in new cabinets without breaking the bank. Don't count Ikea out -- their cabinets look more high-end than some of the cheap laminate ones, such as those white "fake wood" cabinets installed in my last apartment.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Your local cabinet guy is not cheaper than the in-stock cabinets at lowes or HD. Even in an "upscale" neighborhood, the cabinets installed by the builder WILL HAVE particle board boxes. That is, and has been, the standard for many years. That is what you're competing against when you go to sell. Paying more might make you feel better, but it won't translate into more $$ at closing.
I see..you are referring to the in stock oak cabinets. I wouldn't know as I think they are ugly. I think your missing the point. The current cabinets are all particle board..with melamine covering..not just the boxes. They are beat to hell and back and are not salvagable. So..they need to be replaced and if the other homes in this neighborhood have semi custom to custom cabinets..then THAT is what we are competing with. Wouldn't make sense to slap some cheap ugly crap in there..when for just over $2k more we can have much nicer cabinets that WILL translate into more $$ at closing. Not to mention..this will be our home to enjoy in the meantime until we sell.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
I see..you are referring to the in stock oak cabinets. I wouldn't know as I think they are ugly. I think your missing the point. The current cabinets are all particle board..with melamine covering..not just the boxes. They are beat to hell and back and are not salvagable. So..they need to be replaced and if the other homes in this neighborhood have semi custom to custom cabinets..then THAT is what we are competing with. Wouldn't make sense to slap some cheap ugly crap in there..when for just over $2k more we can have much nicer cabinets that WILL translate into more $$ at closing. Not to mention..this will be our home to enjoy in the meantime until we sell.
Actually, the "in-stock" cabinets at the HD and Lowes are available in more than just oak - each store has 3-4 different finishes available. The "Merlot" finish at Lowes is my favorite, and it doesn't look like "cheap ugly crap" - it looks very similar to the cabinets being installed by builders in new homes.

http://answers.lowes.com/answers/053.../questions.htm

Assuming the other homes in your neighborhood all have "semi custom" cabinets is quite an assumption - one that isn't likely to be accurate.

Most people do not renovate.

Most buyers assume that HGTV has it right when they state that a "budget kitchen should cost $30-50K"..

It will cost you that much if you let the salespeople & contractors spend your money, but if you look a little bit, there are ways to make those figures look silly.

Last edited by Zippyman; 11-28-2011 at 12:34 PM..

Old 11-28-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Actually, the "in-stock" cabinets at the HD and Lowes are available in more than just oak - each store has 3-4 different finishes available. The "Merlot" finish at Lowes is my favorite, and it doesn't look like "cheap ugly crap" - it looks very similar to the cabinets being installed by builders in new homes.

Lowe's Kitchen Classics 36" x 30" Merlot Wall Cabinet : Questions, Answers, How To, FAQs, Tips, Advice, Answers, Buying Guide

Assuming the other homes in your neighborhood all have "semi custom" cabinets is quite an assumption - one that isn't likely to be accurate.

Most people do not renovate.

Most buyers assume that HGTV has it right when they state that a "budget kitchen should cost $30-50K"..

It will cost you that much if you let the salespeople & contractors spend your money, but if you look a little bit, there are ways to make those figures look silly.
Wow..talk about making assumptions! Yes they are..as I have seen several of them. Why would anyone renovate homes less than about 7 yrs old? I don't know where you got the impression they were old and needed any reno. The house we are buying was the first and only house in the neighborhood for a few years.

Another incorrect assumption. Our Local Lowe's does not carry anything but the oak in stock. I went..I looked..I saw...and yes they are ugly.

I do agree that a budget kitchen reno should cost $30-50K is ridiculous. I really could care less what HGTV says..I set my own budget in regards to what I want..and what I think looks good. I'm also a sale watcher. When all is said and done..the reno (kitchen only-including appliances) will be under $12k but look like we spent alot more because I will choose my materials wisely. This is with us removing the old..and doing the floor tile ourselves. I see it as killing 2 birds with 1 stone. It will help it sell when it is time..and it will be lovely to live in while we are there.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:20 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,081,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Or the ones who say "Oh, that definitely has to go" (whatever it may be) and then in the "3 mos. later" clip, they still have the same stuff because, obviously, they learned it wasn't such a problem after all.
Or they realized how expensive it is to actually own and maintain a house.

When the roof is leaking and the water heater explodes, "all matching stainless steel appliances and granite countertops" suddenly slide waaaaay down the list of "must haves".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate