Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 01:04 PM

14 posts, read 26,562 times

Advertisements

I also posted this in the NOVA forum but in case you don't scour that one!! - -

Hi there. Anyone have experience or suggestions on what to do with this?

We have been looking for a home in the area since September. We worked with Redfin who arranged some showings and separately, on our own we went to open houses and called listing agents for specific properties that we drove past and liked. We never signed an agency agreement, a buyers representation agreement, or any type of form with anyone when seeing a listing agent's property.

Now, there is a home we'd like to put an offer on. We found the home because the listing agent, who had shown us one of their other listings earlier this year, sent an unsolicited emaill saying they had a new listing we might like, and they thought of us.

We went to see it, and we do like it.

We called our Redfin agent to initiate the offer. Redfin won't do it unless listing agent releases us from "procuring cause". Redfin says because the listing agent showed us their listing and they were not aware of our representation, they have the right to decide whether to pay the broker who does ultimately represent us.

We immediately sent a note to the listing agent explaining we would like to make an offer and wanted to make sure they knew we were working with Redfin, and that agent would be contacting them shortly.

The listing agent then sent us the following note:
Typically, if we show you one or more of our listings and you don't mention having representation when asked, we have what's called procuring cause. In Virginia, dual representation is permitted if the seller agrees to it in the listing agreement. The owners of both properties have agreed to dual representation. We also typically negotiate a reduced commission in these situations which, in the long run, saves both parties some money. We have spent a significant amount of time with you at xxx.

We believe everyone has a choice who represents you in your purchase of a home. We are certainly disappointed and surprised that you have chosen to have someone else represent you. Especially as that agent has not even shown or even seen the property with you.

We certainly don't want to force the issue but hope that you both will reconsider and allow us to represent you in the purchase. We often do dual agency, especially in xxxx as we are the experts in the neighborhood. It has always been extremely successful for all parties and we have never anyone not be happy with the outcome.

More facts - -when I first contacted the listing agent on October 6 I wrote in an email that we "were not using buyer representation". I asked to see 2 of her listings because we were in the neighborhood that day for open houses. I am not putting an offer in on any of the listings that she had at that time, and she did not have this listing at that time.

So now, Redfin will not submit my offer until the listing agent sends a written note releasing us to do so. Apparently my only option is to agree to pay Redfin myself and the listing agent will keep the entire commission because the SELLER agreed to dual agency.

First I believe the listing agent works for the seller's interest. Second I believe the listing agent works for the seller by showing their listing and not for the buyer. Third, I believe the home is overpriced by about 8% as supported by comparables and an appraisal I had done on my own. For all these reasons, dual agency seems like a profoundly bad idea

Am I stuck? How shall we respond to the note? Thoughts? It seems so bizarre that the listing agent can hold a prospective buyer hostage because they were contacted directly in their capacity as the listing agent with no paperwork, no disclosures, nothing....really??

Thanks for your perspective!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 01:21 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
So you were originally not going to use any representation and used the listing agents time. I assume you were doing this because you thought you could save money. I assume for the same reason you then decided to use Redfin for a rebate. Do I have that right?

Now, I can't speak to VA laws in dual agency and procuring cause but it seems that the listing company and Redfin are in agreement that the listing agent has procuring cause in this instance. With that in mind and assuming you originally weren't using representation b/c you want to save money...

If the listing agent reduces the commission enabling the seller to accept a lower offer, isn't that the same result you desired anyway, except you get a reduced price instead of cash back? If so, why not just go with it? As far as the legal portion, I can't comment on that because I'm familiar with agency laws in VA.

****Note to buyers, if you have a buyers agent, use them to show you the homes!!!!! That's why you hired them!!!!

Old 12-16-2011, 01:28 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,581,108 times
Is there some reason you didn't ask your Redfin agent to show this (and other) properties? Or was it just "easier" to go with the listing agent? As you found, this leads to complications if you want to maintain separate representation.

Hopefully "your" agent and the listing agent can work out an agreeable compromise.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:36 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkiewilson View Post

So now, Redfin will not submit my offer until the listing agent sends a written note releasing us to do so. Apparently my only option is to agree to pay Redfin myself and the listing agent will keep the entire commission because the SELLER agreed to dual agency.

First I believe the listing agent works for the seller's interest. Second I believe the listing agent works for the seller by showing their listing and not for the buyer. Third, I believe the home is overpriced by about 8% as supported by comparables and an appraisal I had done on my own. For all these reasons, dual agency seems like a profoundly bad idea

Am I stuck? How shall we respond to the note? Thoughts? It seems so bizarre that the listing agent can hold a prospective buyer hostage because they were contacted directly in their capacity as the listing agent with no paperwork, no disclosures, nothing....really??

Thanks for your perspective!

Your third option is to agree to pay Redfin yourself and negotiate additional closing costs into your offer to cover their compensation. So if you were going to ask for $6,000 in closing costs and their fee is $4,000 ask for $10k in closing costs. The seller cares about the net. If the other agent isn't willing to reduce their fee and the seller is okay paying it plus your agent it's their loss.

It's all about the net.

Oh...and also...the minute your write up that offer with another agent, even if it doesn't get accepted, you just broke the chain for procuring cause. The chain is very important in that issue.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:51 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Maybe I am reading this differently than you are. It seems like they would prefer not to, but they would agree to the release. But ultimately my guess is if you say you are going to walk away they will grant you the release.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:14 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post

Oh...and also...the minute your write up that offer with another agent, even if it doesn't get accepted, you just broke the chain for procuring cause. The chain is very important in that issue.
This is also how it's considered in my state. VA may be different. If you need clarification ask an RE attorney. I'd say it's at least evident that Redfin disagrees or simply doesn't understand agency law. I'd guess they don't understand...but that is just my opinion.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:46 PM

373 posts, read 870,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkiewilson View Post
The listing agent then sent us the following note:
Typically, if we show you one or more of our listings and you don't mention having representation when asked, we have what's called procuring cause. In Virginia, dual representation is permitted if the seller agrees to it in the listing agreement. The owners of both properties have agreed to dual representation. We also typically negotiate a reduced commission in these situations which, in the long run, saves both parties some money. We have spent a significant amount of time with you at xxx.

We believe everyone has a choice who represents you in your purchase of a home. We are certainly disappointed and surprised that you have chosen to have someone else represent you. Especially as that agent has not even shown or even seen the property with you.

We certainly don't want to force the issue but hope that you both will reconsider and allow us to represent you in the purchase. We often do dual agency, especially in xxxx as we are the experts in the neighborhood. It has always been extremely successful for all parties and we have never anyone not be happy with the outcome.

Sounds to me like they don't want to, but they will "release" you from having to be represented by them. If I am misreading this and they won't let you out without you paying redfin yourself, I would tell them the only way you are making an offer is if they allow redfin half the commission. If they say no, I would knock on the door of the house and tell the owners that you want to make an offer, but their agent isn't letting you use the representation you want. If the house has been on the market for much time at all, I'm sure the owners will convince the realtor to sign the release.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:48 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,105,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
So you were originally not going to use any representation and used the listing agents time. I assume you were doing this because you thought you could save money. I assume for the same reason you then decided to use Redfin for a rebate. Do I have that right?

Now, I can't speak to VA laws in dual agency and procuring cause but it seems that the listing company and Redfin are in agreement that the listing agent has procuring cause in this instance. With that in mind and assuming you originally weren't using representation b/c you want to save money...

If the listing agent reduces the commission enabling the seller to accept a lower offer, isn't that the same result you desired anyway, except you get a reduced price instead of cash back? If so, why not just go with it? As far as the legal portion, I can't comment on that because I'm familiar with agency laws in VA.

****Note to buyers, if you have a buyers agent, use them to show you the homes!!!!! That's why you hired them!!!!
If you just go with it you may still owe Redfin a commission, right? I wouldn't advise that.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Maybe I am reading this differently than you are. It seems like they would prefer not to, but they would agree to the release. But ultimately my guess is if you say you are going to walk away they will grant you the release.
I was thinking this. If I were the listing agent I would have just done this in the first place and not sent that letter.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
This is also how it's considered in my state. VA may be different. If you need clarification ask an RE attorney. I'd say it's at least evident that Redfin disagrees or simply doesn't understand agency law. I'd guess they don't understand...but that is just my opinion.
I'm thinking it is different in my state, because I don't get what is meant by breaking the chain of procuring cause. It seems to me if it can be broken like that it doesn't really exist anyhow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate