Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 05:27 PM

25 posts, read 97,471 times

Advertisements

So, when I applied/got approved for our mortgage, the LO said he wanted the contract written up so that the seller would pay their traditional closing costs as well as $3K in additional closing fees...if the sellers didn't like it, they could counter. In the pre-approval letter he re-stated the way he wanted the contract written.

Well, my realtor didn't write the contract that way even though I pointed it out to her and wanted to make sure that's how it was written. She said, "Oh yeah, it's written correctly." Well, my LO called and said it was not written that way at all, and we have to pay the difference.

So, now the contract is signed and we are out $3,000 in up front costs, plus the additional amount we are going to have to roll into the loan because that 3K that is going into closing costs is decreasing the amount available for our down payment. I want to f'n scream!!

Is there anything I can do/request to fix this????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 05:51 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,702,516 times
You signed the contract without reading it?

Is this contract contingent on anything, including attorney review?

Old 12-18-2011, 06:53 PM

468 posts, read 1,378,840 times
Oh dear!

The contracts here in Georgia have a specific place for putting in closing costs that you'd like the seller to pay.

Does yours?

Let's hope you've got some contingencies in there!

Old 12-18-2011, 06:57 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,797,257 times
As with Georgia, The Texas contract has a line written in it with a blank to fill in with closing costs. If your contract has something like this, it's your own fault for not noticing a $0 or an n/a or just a blank. If your agent was supposed to actually "write" it into the contract, why did you sign something that didn't have those words?

The contract is between buyer and seller, not buyer and agent or seller and agent. You would need to talk with the seller since you guys executed the contract.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:07 PM

5,663 posts, read 10,734,978 times
Your contract probably has a financing contingency. If you can't get approved for a loan without the seller's $3K contribution, you'll need to get proof of this from your LO and then go back to the seller. Tell them they need to either renegotiate or lose you as a buyer.

I don't understand what happened with your agent but you said you knew it was wrong but signed it anyway. I think you still have a complaint with your agent's broker but your position is somewhat weakened.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:08 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,102,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
Your contract probably has a financing contingency. If you can't get approved for a loan without the seller's $3K contribution, you'll need to get proof of this from your LO and then go back to the seller. Tell them they need to either renegotiate or lose you as a buyer.

I don't understand what happened with your agent but you said you knew it was wrong but signed it anyway. I think you still have a complaint with your agent's broker but your position is somewhat weakened.
I agree with this. Talk to your loan officer about getting a denial letter from your lender.

I'm not going to criticize you for signing it. As agents we are suppose to look out for you and your agent told you it was right when you did ask about it. Yes, everyone should read their contract, but you are suppose to be able to trust your agent also.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:10 AM

10,966 posts, read 21,970,243 times
2 questions regarding your post:
1-Why do you need an extra $3000 in closing fees? Is the lender ripping you off in some way because that is what it sounds like.
2-Why do you need $3000 in up front fees? Is the lender ripping you off or doing something fraudulent, because that is what it sounds like.

Or if the 3k is to cover a funding fee for an FHA or VA loan, is their not just 1 place on the contract to write in a total amount? For that matter, would the total contribution exceed the allowable costs for the loan? I think you need to have a serious group discussion with your agent and lender in the same room, or at least a 3 way call. I've met some stupid lenders and some stupid agents, so I hope that someone in your deal has a clue because I see much to be potentially concerned about from both sides. (As an agent, I hate when lenders think they know real estate and are trying to dictate the transaction. Not necessarily the case here, but just throwing it out there.)

Old 12-19-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
2 questions regarding your post:
1-Why do you need an extra $3000 in closing fees? Is the lender ripping you off in some way because that is what it sounds like.
2-Why do you need $3000 in up front fees? Is the lender ripping you off or doing something fraudulent, because that is what it sounds like.

Or if the 3k is to cover a funding fee for an FHA or VA loan, is their not just 1 place on the contract to write in a total amount? For that matter, would the total contribution exceed the allowable costs for the loan? I think you need to have a serious group discussion with your agent and lender in the same room, or at least a 3 way call. I've met some stupid lenders and some stupid agents, so I hope that someone in your deal has a clue because I see much to be potentially concerned about from both sides. (As an agent, I hate when lenders think they know real estate and are trying to dictate the transaction. Not necessarily the case here, but just throwing it out there.)
I don't think you understand the OP.

The contract was suppose to be written with the seller giving back 3000 for the buyers closing costs(in other words the buyer wants to wrap the 3000 into the loan rather than pay it up front.) The agent forgot to include it or didn't understand how to write the contract correctly. The buyer saw the mistake, questioned the agent, but was told everything was fine and to go ahead and sign it. The agent screwed up, not the lender. The seller doesn't want to change it now because it would mean 3000 less dollars to them.

I just think it's funny how so many of you blamed this buyer and now you blame the lender?

Old 12-19-2011, 12:31 PM

15,569 posts, read 40,404,923 times
What are the additional $3,000k on top of traditional closing costs? I'm kind of with Brandon that this sounds dubious to me. Typically you ask for closing costs which includes prepaid property taxes and insurance, lender and escrow fees. What other closing costs do you have that aren't included in that and why do you need to line item it with two different amounts?

Old 12-19-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
What are the additional $3,000k on top of traditional closing costs? I'm kind of with Brandon that this sounds dubious to me. Typically you ask for closing costs which includes prepaid property taxes and insurance, lender and escrow fees. What other closing costs do you have that aren't included in that and why do you need to line item it with two different amounts?
That wasn't the way I understood it. I thought it says the seller was to pay their own closing costs, plus 3000 for the buyer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate