Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 04:35 PM

43,030 posts, read 76,539,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Silverfall and MikeJaquish, I'm actually the buyer in this one, trying to figure out what a seller might go for. :-) The numbers are all hypothetical -- they don't actually relate to the situation that might come to pass. It does seem odd to me that the buyer might get cash at closing (legally) but if it could work out, that would be great. I DO have down payment money AND reserves AND I have a job that I can only lose through gross negligence (so it's not going to happen!), but it would be nice to be able to keep a few thousand dollars liquid.

I'll be paying extra on the mortgage every month anyway (as I do with my current mortgage), so the few extra thousand on the mortgage would be "made up" relatively quickly.

Thanks for all the replies!
If you can afford to pay off the "extra" in a few months, i.e., it really is not necessary, I would suggest you just make the lower offer, and keep the seller's net as good as possible while being confident you have not inflated the price so it won't appraise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 05:01 PM

17,574 posts, read 45,981,028 times
It just isn't rational as a seller to care about anything other than getting the highest net offer if all other things are equal.

I'm sure there is some grumpy old person who thinks it is morally unnacceptable to have to pay someone's closing costs. But that would fall under the irrational category.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:06 PM

5,339 posts, read 14,075,967 times
Quote:
Silverfall and MikeJaquish, I'm actually the buyer in this one, trying to figure out what a seller might go for. :-) The numbers are all hypothetical -- they don't actually relate to the situation that might come to pass. It does seem odd to me that the buyer might get cash at closing (legally) but if it could work out, that would be great. I DO have down payment money AND reserves AND I have a job that I can only lose through gross negligence (so it's not going to happen!), but it would be nice to be able to keep a few thousand dollars liquid.

I'll be paying extra on the mortgage every month anyway (as I do with my current mortgage), so the few extra thousand on the mortgage would be "made up" relatively quickly.

There is no reason to offer the seller a bonus to get them to contribute toward your costs. A seller who is annoyed and working off of principal in this scenario would not be too bright.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:08 PM

15,494 posts, read 40,194,371 times
Quote:

Well you don't get the cash in your hands or anything. It just gets shifted from the sellers column to your column. You just bring in less money to close.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:18 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,954,719 times
I think the biggest issue would be a concern of the house appraising for $300K but not for $307K. So if it doesn't appraise at $307K, would you be willing to take out the request for closing costs? I would put that requirement into the contract if I took the higher offer with paid closing costs.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:19 PM

10,009 posts, read 17,922,959 times
Right, I bring less money to close, which means those other few thousands that I was GOING to bring can stay in my bank account. Always a nice thing!

Old 01-10-2012, 07:38 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,619,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
So long as laws aren't broken... it's all about the bottom line. How you get there, which still includes a valuation for contingencies and time until closing date among other things, is largely immaterial.

But $1000 one way or another shouldn't be a factor in a $300,000 transaction

hth
As a seller, I would be nervous about a buyer concerned about $1K on a $300K home.

I might dance with them but only if they were the only one to dance with, like the fat girl at the dance....otherwise...get out of my life....I spill that much at the bar...LOL

Old 01-10-2012, 07:42 PM

10,009 posts, read 17,922,959 times
Um, not concerned about $1k. Just would like to keep more $ liquid if possible. I don't HAVE to, I would just LIKE to.

And NinaN, you are right, the appraisal would still have to work out. With the particular house I am thinking about, I believe it would. Will find out more when I meet with my buyer's agent (which I decided to get!).

Old 01-10-2012, 09:53 PM

17,574 posts, read 45,981,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
As a seller, I would be nervous about a buyer concerned about $1K on a $300K home.

I might dance with them but only if they were the only one to dance with, like the fat girl at the dance....otherwise...get out of my life....I spill that much at the bar...LOL
As a buyer I would be nervous about someone who didn't realize the net I was offering was the same and probably just move on to the abundance of other homes on the market.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:25 PM

10,894 posts, read 21,851,140 times
Any seller would be crazy not to take the higher offer IMO. They'd make a little more money even with paying the cc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate