U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 01:45 PM

13 posts, read 82,740 times

Advertisements

I am looking at a piece of property in northern California whose dwellings have been red-tagged by the city. What does that mean? How is it corrected?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 01:49 PM

16,426 posts, read 30,850,457 times
Here it means they are condemned and unfit for habitation. May be meth contamination, may be another issue. Don't know CA laws, but that is what I would suspect.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:51 PM

21,613 posts, read 36,683,059 times
Generally "red tagged" is shorthand for "not fit for habitation". The most common reason for this the owner(s) have not paid their water bill and the the municipal health department has regulations that say once water shut off you cannot live in the structure becuase it is still connected to the municipal sewers and you can / will get sewer gases backing up into the dry traps. If enough methane leaked in it could be lethal.

It is also possible that the strucutre has been damaged in some way so that repairs are needed before it is safe for habititation.

Municipal authorities will generally be able to describe WHY the property has been cited...

Old 01-12-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Here it means they are condemned and unfit for habitation. May be meth contamination, may be another issue. Don't know CA laws, but that is what I would suspect.
There are two small houses on this particular lot. Both at present are rented and inhabited, so it came as a surprise that they were red tagged. I have yet to ascertain exactly why, as the realtor I contacted about it was not the listing agent. He said he would look into it and see, but I just wanted to see what a red tag might possibly mean and how it would affect the buyer.

Thank you for your insight.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:13 PM

5,511 posts, read 10,720,442 times
May also be due to a gas leak. We had one rental get red tagged twice in one week as we were trying to narrow down what was leaking. (Long story short, the gas company was overpressurizing the house, causing small leaks to form in multiple places, had to fix both the furnace and the stove before we figured it out). The gas company comes out immediately at any call of a "gas smell", and if they come out and find any leak, they red tag you and turn off the gas service until you get it fixed.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Generally "red tagged" is shorthand for "not fit for habitation". The most common reason for this the owner(s) have not paid their water bill and the the municipal health department has regulations that say once water shut off you cannot live in the structure becuase it is still connected to the municipal sewers and you can / will get sewer gases backing up into the dry traps. If enough methane leaked in it could be lethal.

It is also possible that the strucutre has been damaged in some way so that repairs are needed before it is safe for habititation.

Municipal authorities will generally be able to describe WHY the property has been cited...
Interesting and thoughtful input. The realtor I spoke with regarding it said that he wasn't sure, but it could be because the lot is zoned for a single residence, not two. He is supposed to investigate for the exact reason why and get back to me, but this is what he thought he knew. He also said that they both needed some repair, but didn't say what that would entail. From an outside view (didn't disturb tenants), both of them looked tidy and taken care of, but the place has been for sale for over 300 days, so there MUST be something major. If the realtor does not get back to me, I'll have to go visit the municipal authorities and get the info myself. It's out of my living area, so to avoid travel I'm first relying on my realtor to investigate.

Thank you for your thoughtful reply.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
May also be due to a gas leak. We had one rental get red tagged twice in one week as we were trying to narrow down what was leaking. (Long story short, the gas company was overpressurizing the house, causing small leaks to form in multiple places, had to fix both the furnace and the stove before we figured it out). The gas company comes out immediately at any call of a "gas smell", and if they come out and find any leak, they red tag you and turn off the gas service until you get it fixed.
Wow! That's a pretty dangerous situation. Would the gas company have any liability for overpressurizing a house if the worst happened? Kind of scary...

Old 01-12-2012, 02:27 PM

4,919 posts, read 10,512,638 times
In my neck of the woods, "Red Tagged" means that governement, regualators, or ulitity services has deemed something wrong with the property that human habitation is not allowed. It could be zoning/planning problems, utilities were shut off over some physical problem, a permit was failed, place condemed, some physical problem with the structure that needs correcting, the stuff between the sofa cushions was declared a Superfund site, or anything like these.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
In my neck of the woods, "Red Tagged" means that governement, regualators, or ulitity services has deemed something wrong with the property that human habitation is not allowed. It could be zoning/planning problems, utilities were shut off over some physical problem, a permit was failed, place condemed, some physical problem with the structure that needs correcting, the stuff between the sofa cushions was declared a Superfund site, or anything like these.
*nodnod*

In other words, it could be just about anything depending on tpb. *LOL* Great post.

So I guess the next question would be: once something is red tagged, can they ever be un-red tagged, or is demolition the usual outcome? I know, it probably depends entirely on whatever authority red tagged it to begin with, but do these things ever get resolved positively?

(I know, everything is hypothetical, but it gives me some idea of the gravity of red tagging)

Old 01-12-2012, 02:47 PM

21,613 posts, read 36,683,059 times
Default In almost all cases...

...spending some money will fix the problems.

If it just water bills you can resolve those with only a check book.

Zoning? Hire the right attorney, file the right paperwork, get all the issues squared away in a few months.

Structure? Get the engineered done, hire the contractors, pass inspection. You are golden...

Now if the combined "fees, fines, and costs of remediation" exceed thhe value of the structure(s) / land then, yes, in RARE cases the place goes vacant, eventually gets bulldozed and the process of reclaiming abandoned property kicks in, but that is unlikely AND other takes decades....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoIrishly View Post
*nodnod*

In other words, it could be just about anything depending on tpb. *LOL* Great post.

So I guess the next question would be: once something is red tagged, can they ever be un-red tagged, or is demolition the usual outcome? I know, it probably depends entirely on whatever authority red tagged it to begin with, but do these things ever get resolved positively?

(I know, everything is hypothetical, but it gives me some idea of the gravity of red tagging)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate