Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 12:30 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,405,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The 90's represented a serious rough patch in the real estate market in many areas of the U.S. History is loaded with similar patches and yet a blip in time convinced a lot of people that values would continue to at double digit rates, forever. That's mania.

The stock market outperforms real estate, over time. We cannot live in our investment portfolios.The alternative would have been paying rent for 25 years a with no shot at recovering a dime. I know you get the long term perspective.
Well, nah, not really. All I know is I've spent way too much money on realtors' commissions, movers, and furniture. These were not "investment" moves, they were just moves because I get antsy after a few years.

Anyway, I just consider myself lucky that I haven't had to sell at any huge losses...so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 08:28 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,140,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
Refiance fees are non trivial and unless you have substantial equity you will have to bring a 5 figure check to "closing". Also you are trading a slightly lower monthly payment for a loss of time paid on the mortgage.

Seeing as how outragious the refi fees are I dont see how it could ever be in someones best interests to refi, unless you shaved off like 5% points and even then it would take you several years to recover from the loss that you incured from the fees.

I read an article on the internet that the fee structure was diliberate to prevent people from lowering their interest rates and liabilities. Its not good for the banks if someone can lower their interest rates without the risk of having them rise (ie varialbe rates).

The banks are not your friends.
Huh...I locked in two refinance loans yesterday at 3.5% on a 15 year FIXED rate with ZERO closing costs. That is correct....ZERO. Breakdown....they owe $200k today, the new loan amount will be $200k and the borrowers will have to bring ZERO dollars to closing (they don't escrow for taxes and insurance). They can receive the same deal at 4.25% on a 30 year term. They are shaving about 1% off their current rates. Even if it was 1/2% it pays when the costs are ZERO.

Oh, and we the lender, are ECSTATIC to do these loans and lower their FIXED interest rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate