Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 02:45 PM

11 posts, read 21,831 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

I live in an old (but beautiful) 1910 New England Colonial home in MA that's 1,600 sq feet with 1.5 baths. I'm thinking about doing some renovations but am concerned about the affect some might have on the home's value and resale ability, so I'm hoping you professionals can help.

There are 3 bedrooms on the 2nd floor (each one is about 12' x 14' each with one 4' x 3' closet) along with a full bath that's 5' x 8' and also one small additional room that's 5' x 8' (this room also has two 3' x 3' closets). The house was marketed as 4 bedrooms when I bought it, but that room is so small, it's really a stretch to call it that. My real estate agent referred to it as 3 and 1/2 bedrooms.

(all measurements are guesstimates)

The bathroom is 70's yellow mustard and needs updating. So, my options are:

a) Just renovate upstairs bathroom. Keep everything else the same.
b) Get rid of the small room (and it's closets). Use the space to extend the size of the bathroom and add laundry to the 2nd floor (laundry currently in basement).
c) Get rid of the small room (and it's closets). Use the space to extend the size of the bathroom and add additional closet space to the master bedroom.
d) Get rid of the small room (and it's closets). Use the space to extend the size of the master bedroom and add a small master bathroom with a shower stall.
e) Get rid of the small room (and it's closets). Use the space to add additional closet space to the master bedroom and add a small master bathroom with a shower stall.

Which ones would add the most value and would help resale of the home the most? i.e. Which option would be most attractive to future buyers?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 03:16 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
I would trust the opinions of very local agents who know the area, surrounding homes and what buyers are looking for when they buy into the area.

The price point and norm for your very local market overrides opinions of people all over the country.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:34 PM

I hear ya, but I might not sell for another 20 years. So, what matters locally now could be completely different by then. So, I'm looking for more general answers. Thanks

Old 01-24-2012, 03:35 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,669,028 times
One full bath only is a turn off for me like in do not even show me that home no matter how many bedrooms. Even 1.5 baths (no matter where the half bath is) and 3 bedrooms I would not look at.

Listed as 3 bedrooms and two baths, I would take a look at but even then one bath must be private to the master bedroom.

Now, not for sale but for personal use. Could you do 3 bedrooms, 2 baths even small with showers, one private to the master bedroom, plus a small laundry in either bathroom? While I personally like big bathrooms, they are often not an efficient use of space. Laundry two stories down is a pain in the butt but many have done it and many still do it.

Guess I am combining a few of your ideas.......LOL

Last edited by accufitgolf; 01-24-2012 at 03:48 PM..

Old 01-24-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
One full bath only is a turn off for me like in do not even show me that home no matter how many bedrooms. Even 1.5 baths (not matter where the half bath is) and 3 bedrooms I would not look at.

Listed as 3 bedrooms and two baths, I would take a look at but even then one bath must be private to the master bedroom.
Interesting. So that would be option d and/or option e. Thanks! Anyone else?

Old 01-24-2012, 04:54 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times
According to American National Standards Institute, a 5 x 8 room cannot be considered a room. Minimum horizontal room dimension is 7'. The GLA can included, but it is a closet or, as you propose, a bathroom. I would make it a master bath. I would include a large walk in shower, a sink and a toilet. At 5 x 8 you would have room for a full shower/tub insert, but I prefer just the shower.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:55 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,053,778 times
I agree with middle-age mom, it depends. In our area, a 5x8 room is a small walk in closet. Not even big enough for a nursery.

We live in an old, tract neighbourhood surrounded by extremely large builder homes. The price difference between our neighbourhood and the newer homes is significant. Our neighbourhood is attractive to first time buyers, but they don't seem to want to take on any renovation projects.

Our homes, originally, had 1 1/2 baths, with the 1/2 bath off the master. There is enough room in that 1/2 bath for a shower stall with some plumbing work.

The homes that have the "full bath" ie. shower stall addition, sell faster and for substantially more than the homes with the original 1 1/2 bath.

If you have kids, especially a daughter, that master bath will be priceless for you

Old 01-24-2012, 08:42 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
I agree with Middle-Aged Mom in that it's important to know at least what town you're located in. Even if you're not selling for a while there are certain timeless expectations unique to your local.

Very generally speaking, I would say in order to add the most value to your home you have to add something to it that wasn't already there. You've already got one bathroom on that floor. Making it bigger doesn't add anything. You've got laundry already although it's in the basement. I would definitely go with a plan that adds a master bath. Buyers love to have a master bath. If possible, I would also use some of that space to add closets. Closet space is very important to many buyers as well.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:18 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,656,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullqwerty View Post
I hear ya, but I might not sell for another 20 years.
If your not going to sell for 20 years, do the renovations according to what you like. Not what you think buyers would like 20 years from now.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:40 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,397,703 times
I would go with d or e. Adding even a smallish bath to the master would be nice for you, and good for resale. I would try very hard to maintain the same style and quality in the workmanship so that it doesn't stand out like a sore thumb against the 1910 style of the home. Renovations of these older homes is challenging because in my opinion, "modernizing" too much ruins the character of these beautiful older homes. But I would never even look at a house again without a master bath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate