U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-04-2007, 09:55 AM

5,421 posts, read 11,988,488 times

Advertisements

Our neighbor recently located his chicken coop just 100 feet from our residence. The coop is setback only 5 feet from our mutual property line per county codes. The roosters crows every morning between 5:30-6:00 strongly, then on and off all day. There are definite odors, some days worse than others.

This is legal per antiquated zoning codes that were not disclosed to us at purchase 15 years ago.

No other neighborhood residents house livestock.

QUESTION: Do you think this livestock issue would seriously lower our property values? Could we sell this property at all with the chicken coop issue?

I should mention that this is an unincorporated area that adjacent to a very nice high end suburb and that many new homes are being built in this unincorporated area that are in the $450-$500K range.

Opinions?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 11:18 AM

510 posts, read 2,325,548 times
I would check your sound ordinance. Something that loud could be dealt with if your code only allows loud sound in the normal hours. 8am-9pm or something...would have to check. From there you simply first ask the neighbors to move it somewhere else. If no go on that, just call the cops every single morning that they go off... then once you've established that crap, I would think a judge would force them to move them, or get rid of them.

Another idea that is way off the wall would be a sound activated siren of some sort. Being that they are 5 feet from your property, you might be able to train the roosters into submission. Have some ridiculously loud horn that is activated by sound on your property. Everytime the crow, the thing would blurt out and nearly give them a heart attack. Soon, they would associate the scary horn sound with them crowing. Dunno if Pavlov stuff applies to roosters, but it could work

Personally I'd just get some wire cutters and a wolf...

Old 09-04-2007, 11:41 AM

2,203 posts, read 6,179,462 times
gardener34 - To answer your question: Yes! Those cockadoodledoo's are going to hurt your value a little, but more than that they'll hurt your opportunities for a sale. Very few people are going to l-o-v-e the country feel of having the chickens in their backyard (well almost in their backyard). The buyers that really like your home are going to knock some $$$ off their offer because of the chickens. If you want to sell it's going to a negative, for sure.

If you're not thinking of selling right now, then call the county zoning and planning department and complain. It's strange that the ordinances have not been updated. Have you checked into it? There may be something on the books that's just not being enforced. Are there other neighbors who are affected by the rooster's crowing? If so, perhaps several of you could approach the chicken-lovin' residents and ask them to a neighborhood BBQ. Ask them to bring the fried chicken. If that doesn't work, then take it up with the County. A group of voices has more clout than a single one.

Old 09-04-2007, 01:34 PM

We have this archaic zoning from the 1920s still on the books which enables this to continue. I am in contact and complaining to the zoning department regarding this.

Unfortunately, we just found out about this because our neighbor has decided to harass us with this coop (he hates us - long story). He put it as close to our house as he legally can.

In the 15 years we have lived here we have never had to deal with this. Never occurred to us because NO ONE here has kept/keeps livestock.

I just wanted a professional opinion on what it would do to our property values. I already KNOW what it is doing to our quality of life. I am SO steamed - we sunk $100,000 worth of improvements into this place. I did not think we were over-improving as most neighborhood smaller homes are going in the $350-$400 range on our block. But we did not take into account having a "coop" 100 feet away.

The two houses right next door most affected by the rooster crowing are renters who will likely not want to get involved.

If we have to start a noise war, we will. Don't really want to start anything that could be construed as harassment on our part, because this may end up in court.

Thanks!

Old 09-04-2007, 01:36 PM

2,124 posts, read 5,757,891 times
wire cutters and a wolf? LOL!! Neighborhood chicken BarBQ? LOL!! hopefully PETA is reading our posts. Very funny.

shelly

Old 09-04-2007, 01:45 PM

2,203 posts, read 6,179,462 times
gardener34 - I would go beyond the neighbors with the abutting properties. The chickens will affect the resale prospects for the entire neighborhood, because any potential buyers of ANY of the properties in the area will realize that their neighbors could potentially put a goat and a couple of pigs in their backyards. (Of course that means adding some pork ribs to the neighborhood BBQ) Seriously, though, sounds like petition time to me.

Old 09-04-2007, 01:57 PM

Location: In an alternate universe according to some, AKA Aspergers
10,721 posts, read 11,909,194 times
Sounds like I'd be placing a burn pile, a REAL smoky one about 5 feet from the property line behind the coop. When the wind blows the proper direction light'er up. Nothing better than "smoked" chicken! Let 'em try to crow with a lung full of that!!!! seriously, get your neighbors together. I'm sure you're not the only one ticked off.

Old 09-04-2007, 02:03 PM

5,933 posts, read 14,947,765 times
Maybe erect a tall privacy fence? If it's not as visible, a potential buyer might not pay as much mind to it.
Hopefully your neighbors will move before you ever do.

Old 09-04-2007, 02:10 PM

864 posts, read 2,996,116 times
You guys are making me hungry with all this talk about bbq chicken & ribs! I read an article not too long ago that talked about how having chickens is the cool new thing to do so you can have a steady supply of fresh eggs. Most municipalities will have a limit as to how many you can own per lot. Sounds like this area doesn't have any restrictions though....You would think the chicken owner would be bothered by the roosters, too. Maybe they'll tire of takiing care of the birds within a short time and send them off to a farm.

Old 09-04-2007, 04:07 PM

jimj - you got the wheels spinning... Actually the NFH put the coop right by where we park our cars. All we have to do is start pulling them in backwards and letting them idle a long time before we get out. (just kidding)

I am hoping he will get tired of cleaning them - he has too many in that small coop. Which is why I am wary of complaining too much. Because he is the personality that if I complain a lot he will make it worse and get 3 roosters next year... it is all about stepping up the retaliation to him.

Actually his kids will get tired of them, he makes them clean up - which is probably why it reeks. Why couldn't he be a normal dad and buy a couple rabbits for his kids to pet? Because he is a NFH that's why. Or maybe a coyote will get them. We have foxes and coyotes all over our area as it is right next to a forest preserve.

Privacy fence - AWESOME idea!!! we'll have to save up for that though. And we will have to get a permit, because we are in a flood plain, they may hassle us about it.

And if he did this to make us move out, it backfired, since we can't sell it with the coop there. We'll likely have to go to court to get it removed.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Last edited by Marka; 01-02-2008 at 01:37 AM.. Reason: per request
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate