Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Home seller agreed price reductions, buyer’s agents interest, prospective sellers, priced right listings, stimulate home sale, real estate agency, lower prices, stimulate home sale

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 07:28 PM

940 posts, read 1,367,495 times

Advertisements

Yellowsnow, seem that we think alike! I have the same hobby!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2007, 05:54 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickinbackfl View Post
Yellowsnow, seem that we think alike! I have the same hobby!
After a couple more years of this, we'll be needing a support group!

Old 07-11-2008, 09:46 PM

830 posts, read 1,063,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Move2Jax View Post
Curious if others have the same experience: I have listings where the Seller has agreed to price reductions. The price reductions have generated interest but no written offers. Buyer agents have phoned with verbal offers and generally speaking, offer good feedback. The feedback is typically that the price is good or even just right, and the home shows well, but customers are not making purchase decisions for these homes. I have literally fired two listing customers because of verbal abuse which I have decided not to tolerate. If price is not the selling factor, the home itself presents well, the location is not an issue, what marketing approach should I take? Thanks for your support, and P.S. Is anyone else firing listings, refusing to take them or have a better approach? Thanks again!
Only good agents can sell in a slow market. Most agents can sell on low price only ... they only want an easy sale. Most don't know a thing about marketing a house or even how to place a good ad. Get creative! Instead of dropping your price, offer money towards closing. Offer an allowance for new carpeting or appliances or a golf membership if your home is on a course or near one. With the market flooded with houses ... you must make your's stand out! Only make improvements that can be seen (visual).

Don't rely on Realtor's comps. Pay for your own appraisal.

Good luck, I learned the hard way and would do anything to save someone else the heartache of loosing your hard earned equity.

Old 07-12-2008, 05:33 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,981,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenangel View Post
only good agents can sell in a slow market. Most agents can sell on low price only ... They only want an easy sale. Most don't know a thing about marketing a house or even how to place a good ad. Get creative! Instead of dropping your price, offer money towards closing. Offer an allowance for new carpeting or appliances or a golf membership if your home is on a course or near one. With the market flooded with houses ... You must make your's stand out! Only make improvements that can be seen (visual).

Don't rely on realtor's comps. Pay for your own appraisal.

Good luck, i learned the hard way and would do anything to save someone else the heartache of loosing your hard earned equity.
huh?

Old 07-15-2008, 02:37 PM
GM6

3 posts, read 24,980 times
They all sell and it is always the price.

Old 07-15-2008, 03:27 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenAngel View Post
Only good agents can sell in a slow market. Most agents can sell on low price only ... they only want an easy sale. Most don't know a thing about marketing a house or even how to place a good ad. Get creative! Instead of dropping your price, offer money towards closing. Offer an allowance for new carpeting or appliances or a golf membership if your home is on a course or near one. With the market flooded with houses ... you must make your's stand out! Only make improvements that can be seen (visual).

Good luck, I learned the hard way and would do anything to save someone else the heartache of loosing your hard earned equity.
Due diligence! So true, only you are looking for your best interest and so is every one else.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:15 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:

Agents do not sell homes. Repeat, agents do not sell homes. An agent may be one of the reasons a home sells, but they certainly don't sell homes.

Most people want easy. Reality is, almost nothing is easy.

Owners indeed have to make their home stand out from all the others. No amount of marketing can overcome a bad price. Ugly (dirty/ outdated/poorly located....) homes sell when they are priced right for the local market conditions.

Incentives work in some markets, some of the time.

Paying for an appraisal is not the best advice unless there are no comps. An appraisal is one person's opinion, at that time, of what the home might sell for. The next new listing, closed sale or repositioning in the neighborhood makes the appraisal obsolete.

Three-four years ago, most sellers were singing the praises of their agents because they were receiving more net proceeds from the sale of their homes than they often thought possible. That this happened had all to do with momentum and cheap and abundant credit than it did with any real estate agent.

Unfortunately, it went to the heads of many real estate agents and they believed their own hype, that they were responsible for the outcome.....some even becoming local celebs, running vanity ads about selling a home every X..., top $/minimum time, blah, blah, blah. It became all about them and some of them forgot that agency is the most customer centric business there is. That's some, by no means, all.

There is not a homeowner anywhere who is not aware, on some level, that the market has changed. And yet, so many owners and sometimes their agents persist in the belief that their house/listing is somehow imune to overall market conditions or that the homeowner or agent controls the market by their ask price.

Some people bought google stock at its high price of 747. They were sorry they did when 6 months later, the market would only pay them 427. If you treat your home like a cash cow commodity, one has to be ready, willing and able to ride out the rough times or take their lumps.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:39 PM

830 posts, read 1,063,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Agents do not sell homes. Repeat, agents do not sell homes.
WOW! I am shocked to hear you say that and even more SHOCKED you repeated yourself! Why don't you put your car in front of your house with a for sale sign on it that reads, "FOR SALE Leave a check in my mail box" an you'll see how long your car sits there. Next put a sign on your house that reads, "FOR SALE let me know when you can close" and again, we'll see how long your house sits there.

I have been in sales my whole life and I can tell you, no matter what company you work for, no matter what you do for a living, I can assure you that however you make a pay check .... someone somewhere has sold something that made it possible for you to receive your pay check. To think otherwise is foolish.

But I will give you this .... you and my ex- Realtor must think alike!

Old 07-16-2008, 12:20 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
WOW! I am shocked to hear you say that and even more SHOCKED you repeated yourself! Why don't you put your car in front of your house with a for sale sign on it that reads, "FOR SALE Leave a check in my mail box" an you'll see how long your car sits there. Next put a sign on your house that reads, "FOR SALE let me know when you can close" and again, we'll see how long your house sits there.

I have been in sales my whole life and I can tell you, no matter what company you work for, no matter what you do for a living, I can assure you that however you make a pay check .... someone somewhere has sold something that made it possible for you to receive your pay check. To think otherwise is foolish.

But I will give you this .... you and my ex- Realtor must think alike!
Yeah, I have a different perspective and maybe it's semantics- maybe not.

Listing agents sell the owners on listing with them.

Better listing agents have the pulse of the market and can sell a motivated seller on what the seller has to do, to increase the likelihood of getting sold.

The best agents will market the heck out of a listing to other agents and buyers.

The best agents are able to defend the listing price with facts and do whatever is reasonable and legal to protect their seller's interests until the transaction closes.

An agent may be the reason why the home sells but they are not selling homes.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:35 AM

945 posts, read 1,987,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Yeah, I have a different perspective and maybe it's semantics- maybe not.

Listing agents sell the owners on listing with them.

Better listing agents have the pulse of the market and can sell a motivated seller on what the seller has to do, to increase the likelihood of getting sold.

The best agents will market the heck out of a listing to other agents and buyers.

The best agents are able to defend the listing price with facts and do whatever is reasonable and legal to protect their seller's interests until the transaction closes.

An agent may be the reason why the home sells but they are not selling homes.

What I find interesting, and just had to ask, is this:

Our home, when on the market, showed at least 2 times a week. Sometimes, 4 showings in one weekend. Obviously price was dead on and marketing was being done on the home, based on this alone. However, could you explain to me why listing agents "suddenly" become nothing but, when in past , a buyers agent, showing homes to perspective buyers as well. Our agent, while we feel did a good job marketing our home, spent a lot of time and probably $ doing so, why, did she NEVER show the home or NEVER have clients that were buyers, during the 3 mo. of our listing, to show the home to. This puzzels me greatly, since her credentials listed her as "top buyers" agent and "top re-lo" agent, in our area! It's why we chose her to list our home- this says, to us, she could potentially bring buyers. What happened?

It's so frustrating when the lising agent NEVER seems to have anyone interested in their own listing. Can you enlighten me? We sold, to a family with another agent. This is always how it seems to go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate