Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Home seller agreed price reductions, buyer’s agents interest, prospective sellers, priced right listings, stimulate home sale, real estate agency, lower prices, stimulate home sale

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 11:54 AM

41,956 posts, read 75,183,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenAngel View Post
Here is my agent's ad:

Nice neighborhood. Large deck. Buyers Bonus.
LMAO ... The ad for my house read: "Cute Cape Cod. Nice yard."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 11:57 AM

830 posts, read 1,064,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Have you tried it on craigslists?
I've done the bulleted list, sent the agent the page only to have them not use those target points. You go back & forth with emails only to see they aren't getting it and do the flier yourself.
I actually think the buyer found my house from an open house ad I put on craigslist. Of course my agent wouldn't tell me how they found my open house even though I asked her to ask them.

At the final hour yesterday, the sale of my house fell through. I am beyond happy!!! The whole ordeal was so awful that I will rent and get my strength back up and do things different next time around. WOW! To get a second chance is WONDERFUL!!!

Old 07-16-2008, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
LMAO ... The ad for my house read: "Cute Cape Cod. Nice yard."
Yah, that's on the top of my list in buying a house.

1. cute Cape Cod
2. nice yard
3. deck
4. buyers bonus

Wow, I can't see why our houses didn't sell for top dollar, huh?

Old 07-16-2008, 02:30 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenAngel View Post
Are you kidding me? Look at what you wrote above!!! Of course you are SELLING homes! And you are doing it by savy marketing and making sure ALL the features of the home is STANDING OUT!!! Ok, yes, I understand you are selling high end homes which allows you more available marketing tools to you than say selling $150,000 homes, but look over your list. Most of what you do to SELL a home doesn't require much more than energy and sweat .... not money.

My hat is off to you! An agent who can SELL homes!!!
I say aggressive/proactive marketing. You say sales. All that matters is getting sold.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:50 PM

2,766 posts, read 5,520,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmarketvalue View Post
What I find interesting, and just had to ask, is this:

Our home, when on the market, showed at least 2 times a week. Sometimes, 4 showings in one weekend. Obviously price was dead on and marketing was being done on the home, based on this alone. However, could you explain to me why listing agents "suddenly" become nothing but, when in past , a buyers agent, showing homes to perspective buyers as well. Our agent, while we feel did a good job marketing our home, spent a lot of time and probably $ doing so, why, did she NEVER show the home or NEVER have clients that were buyers, during the 3 mo. of our listing, to show the home to. This puzzels me greatly, since her credentials listed her as "top buyers" agent and "top re-lo" agent, in our area! It's why we chose her to list our home- this says, to us, she could potentially bring buyers. What happened?

It's so frustrating when the lising agent NEVER seems to have anyone interested in their own listing. Can you enlighten me? We sold, to a family with another agent. This is always how it seems to go!
I was always curious about that also. Our two listing agents never showed our home either. I would think if they had shown and sold our home they would have done better commision wise. I did mention it once to my last agent about her never showing our home the next day she brought someone over who really had no interest in buying.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:54 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
I think it's because everyone says not to use the listing agent if you are a buyer.
I've heard it on HGTV and also have seen several posts here on that.

When I want info on a property I do call the listing agent. They have the information as well as any survey, deed restriction documents and other info on the listing.

When I bought my last place I called the listing agent directly and dealt with him.
Now before I signed the contract I did have a RE attorney look it over for me.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:21 PM

[quote=HappyTexan;4484915]I think it's because everyone says not to use the listing agent if you are a buyer.
I've heard it on HGTV and also have seen several posts here on that.[quote]

I know in my case, dual agency didn't work and I would NOT agree to dual agency next time. I admit I signed the agreement of dual agency without realizing what it was.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:58 AM

945 posts, read 1,987,993 times
[quote=FrozenAngel;4485199][quote=HappyTexan;4484915]I think it's because everyone says not to use the listing agent if you are a buyer.
I've heard it on HGTV and also have seen several posts here on that.
Quote:

I know in my case, dual agency didn't work and I would NOT agree to dual agency next time. I admit I signed the agreement of dual agency without realizing what it was.
But duel agent aside, why do the not show the home or have perspective clients? If they do, another agent can be brought in to represent the buyers. I just don't understand how a realtor that "specializes" in re-lo and comes in as top "buyers agent" every year, can suddenly not be either of these things for their own listing! Especially the re-lo part. The folks who bought our home are from out of state. Many who looked at the home were transferees. Any real estate agents (on this thread) willing to answer this delimma? It's easy to blame the "clients" for not wanting a duel agent situation, but I don't believe this is it.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:48 AM

124 posts, read 666,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellytc View Post
some buyers need closing costs.. ...
More of them now that they need to use the money they saved for the downpayment.... closing costs are a great incentive for the first time home buyer with limited liquid funds available.

Shelly
After a month on the market with little interest, I wanted to offer $5,000 closing costs, but my agent thought it would be better for me to drop the price. I did the math for her using her example of a 3% downpayment: 3% of $10,000 = only $300 that the buyer would save at the time of closing as opposed to $5,000 in cash for closing costs, but she couldn't get it. So I told her I would try it her way. Well, the drop in price did nothing, despite the fact that we are now the lowest priced home in our community. I think agents would think I was whacky if I tried to go back and raise the price of the house to where it was originally, and then offer $5 - 6,000 in closing costs.

I'm not dropping the price again unless other houses in this neighborhood drop first. If we can't sell by mid-November, I'll take the house off of the market till February. Then, I'll list at a higher price but with an offer to pay up-front closing costs. As a seller who is planning to pay cash for my retirement home, I'd rather see a lower cost. But if I were a first-time, cash-strapped buyer, I'd opt for the closing costs.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:51 AM

656 posts, read 1,991,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi2007 View Post
After a month on the market with little interest, I wanted to offer $5,000 closing costs, but my agent thought it would be better for me to drop the price. I did the math for her using her example of a 3% downpayment: 3% of $10,000 = only $300 that the buyer would save at the time of closing as opposed to $5,000 in cash for closing costs, but she couldn't get it. So I told her I would try it her way. Well, the drop in price did nothing, despite the fact that we are now the lowest priced home in our community. I think agents would think I was whacky if I tried to go back and raise the price of the house to where it was originally, and then offer $5 - 6,000 in closing costs.

I'm not dropping the price again unless other houses in this neighborhood drop first. If we can't sell by mid-November, I'll take the house off of the market till February. Then, I'll list at a higher price but with an offer to pay up-front closing costs. As a seller who is planning to pay cash for my retirement home, I'd rather see a lower cost. But if I were a first-time, cash-strapped buyer, I'd opt for the closing costs.
My agent said the same thing --- I'm not sure I agree either. We've dropped our price to our lowest we can go ---- lowest in the neighborhood too! I think to pay closing costs is a big deal since in the area I am in the buyer pays the majority of it. To me, even if you're buying a home around 350k having closing costs paid for by the seller IS an extra cost that requires REAL cash prior to closing. If anything, the savings to the buyer might be a opportunity for them to then buy new appliances or pay for moving costs if they don't use it for closing costs.

If you are already at your lowest and below comps there isn't much more to do but sit and wait. I'm in the same boat and it is a frustrating place to be --- and if we don't sell we will rent it out cuz I'm not giving this home away either. I think you only need to keep dropping your price if you HAVE TO sell your home and not everybody has that as their ONLY option. We aren't all desperate sellers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate