Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 10:14 AM

43,258 posts, read 77,033,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather72754 View Post
So EXACTLY what does an agent do that justifies a $19,000 paycheck on the scenario above? If more people actually understood it and we saw some sort of a balance sheet breakdown they might not be so 'pillaged'.
I am not involved in that transaction, and the duties are fungible from deal to deal.

No one with any experience would ask, "What EXACTLY..." because there is no "EXACTLY."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 02:01 PM

628 posts, read 286,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I am not involved in that transaction, and the duties are fungible from deal to deal.

No one with any experience would ask, "What EXACTLY..." because there is no "EXACTLY."

Yes, EXACTLY Which leaves sellers continually wondering "What EXACTLY am I paying this person to do?" Really though, I'm assuming that the commission wouldn't change because the duties change, so I am asking what are the usual duties that would justify a 5 or 6% paycheck?

I never claimed to have any experience. I am just in the process of selling my house and feel like I am paying a LOT of money for the privilege.

Old 07-21-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Yes, EXACTLY Which leaves sellers continually wondering "What EXACTLY am I paying this person to do?" Really though, I'm assuming that the commission wouldn't change because the duties change, so I am asking what are the usual duties that would justify a 5 or 6% paycheck?

I never claimed to have any experience. I am just in the process of selling my house and feel like I am paying a LOT of money for the privilege.
Again, there is no "EXACTLY."
You say as much when you migrate your query from "EXACTLY" to "usual."
I could make you a list of "usual," and it would not be the same afterwards as it would be before listing.

Of course, you got a written marketing plan from your listing agent, listing the marketing tasks.
And, your listing agreement lists additional tasks you have agreed on.

And, of course, you know that the buyer pays the commission anyway. It is baked into the price.

Old 07-21-2017, 02:52 PM

628 posts, read 286,010 times
Quote:
Again, there is no "EXACTLY."
You say as much when you migrate your query from "EXACTLY" to "usual."

And, of course, you know that the buyer pays the commission anyway. It is baked into the price.

I only migrated my query because you wouldn't answer the original query. See, when I come to work I have tasks that I must perform in order to get my paycheck at the end of the week. If anyone asked me what they are, I could list them. They might vary a bit from day to day but not that much.

And no, the buyer doesn't pay the commission. If I list my house at 'x' then have to lower it to 'y' or take a lower offer then I am losing - not the buyer. Yes, if I get a full price offer then maybe I 'baked' it in but many times we both know that doesn't happen. And yes, I have a listing agreement but it doesn't have a specifically detailed list of the agent's duties like I would think should be there. But we interviewed several agents and checked out several listing contracts - they were all the same.

You seem like a good guy Mike and I have no beef with you - but I can see that I am not going to get a clear answer and that's ok. That is the model we are stuck with to date - the real estate agent does 'a lot of things I am unaware of' and for that I need to pony up. All I am saying is that I don't agree with the model.

Old 07-21-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
I only migrated my query because you wouldn't answer the original query. See, when I come to work I have tasks that I must perform in order to get my paycheck at the end of the week. If anyone asked me what they are, I could list them. They might vary a bit from day to day but not that much.

And no, the buyer doesn't pay the commission. If I list my house at 'x' then have to lower it to 'y' or take a lower offer then I am losing - not the buyer. Yes, if I get a full price offer then maybe I 'baked' it in but many times we both know that doesn't happen. And yes, I have a listing agreement but it doesn't have a specifically detailed list of the agent's duties like I would think should be there. But we interviewed several agents and checked out several listing contracts - they were all the same.

You seem like a good guy Mike and I have no beef with you - but I can see that I am not going to get a clear answer and that's ok. That is the model we are stuck with to date - the real estate agent does 'a lot of things I am unaware of' and for that I need to pony up. All I am saying is that I don't agree with the model.
I don't propose services without seeing the property. I suspect I am not licensed in your area, so proposing services without an interview and a view of the property in the local market would be incompetent.
As you suspect, I am not incompetent.

Agency is more like playing third base. We are expected to stop what comes by, particularly if it falls in the realm of a fiduciary duty.
You signed an agreement without negotiating duties and tasks? Not the agent's fault.

"And no, the buyer doesn't pay the commission. "
You have been misled and your experience level exposed again.
Many people want you to believe that, for self-serving reasons.
Buyers agents want to be able to lie to buyers and tell them that "Buyers Agency is FREE, doesn't cost you a penny." Then, they take a cut out of the buyer's money.
Listing agents want to claim the expense for their clients.
The whole "Who Pays" dynamic is one of the great failings in the industry, as is any other lie.

Buyer pays. If you plan to list at $400,000, with a 4.8% commission, and the buyer materializes, so no agents are involved...
Would you cut your price to $382,000 due to lack of commission? Would you then net more or less than paying commission?
Would the buyer pay more with commission back in the deal?

The only reason the buyer's agent's commission shows on your side of the transaction is so the buyer can borrow the funds to pay, rather than paying out of pocket.
If we had a facility for buyers to finance their commission, settlement forms would look different.

Old 07-21-2017, 03:16 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,193,924 times
And remember that the Title Insurance can be paid by the BUYER but usually the seller gets stuck with that $1000+ fee too.

All an agent has to do is check the box for the BUYER to pay the fee but I have never seen a realtor do that or even offer to.

The sellers are the ones making the big bucks on the sale (agents thinking) so why not add all of the fees to the sellers sale price?

Old 07-21-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHS79 View Post
And remember that the Title Insurance can be paid by the BUYER but usually the seller gets stuck with that $1000+ fee too.

All an agent has to do is check the box for the BUYER to pay the fee but I have never seen a realtor do that or even offer to.

The sellers are the ones making the big bucks on the sale (agents thinking) so why not add all of the fees to the sellers sale price?
All real estate is local.
Title insurance is a buyers' fee here. No "box to check" in our standard forms.

Old 07-21-2017, 06:03 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,890,472 times
Quote:
All real estate is local.
Title insurance is a buyers' fee here. No "box to check" in our standard forms.
same

Old 07-21-2017, 06:22 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,417,668 times
Ours is a box to check for the owners policy. Seller selects Seller pays, Buyer selects, Buyer pays.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:27 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,195,970 times
Quote:
See, when I come to work I have tasks that I must perform in order to get my paycheck at the end of the week. If anyone asked me what they are, I could list them. They might vary a bit from day to day but not that much.

And yes, I have a listing agreement but it doesn't have a specifically detailed list of the agent's duties like I would think should be there. But we interviewed several agents and checked out several listing contracts - they were all the same.

... That is the model we are stuck with to date - the real estate agent does 'a lot of things I am unaware of' and for that I need to pony up. All I am saying is that I don't agree with the model.
What type of work do you do, do you get paid on an hourly basis, and what is that? Do you get benefits, PTO, sick days? And is your performance reviewed monthly, quarterly, or annually?

Did all the listing agents show you they'd do the exact same things at the exact same price?

And did you not have the option of selling it by owner, or using a firm that charged an upfront fee for a certain well-described but "limited" amount of services?

And while we're at it, what's your state and hopefully city - so someone might speak to the customs, practices, and rules of your locale?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate