Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 04:57 PM

412 posts, read 1,153,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
I guess for disclosure purposes, I should add that most REO properties are in better condition than what we saw just a few years ago. At least now, the majority are cleaned out before, or very shortly after listing. And depending on the crew, salvageable items are donated to non-profits. However, the homepath properties still tend to be managed better, with response time within a day or two (while certain banks STILL make potential purchasers wait 4 or 5 business days before coming back with a response...
At least something they have done to make things better for the next new resident to move in. It looks like Homepath generally takes good care of thing. I would say it's a reputable, but still would have to inspect for hidden problems that Homepath may have overlooked which I read on their disclaimers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 05:36 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,930,625 times
Just remember this. Homepath financing offer this very attractive incentive for their financing.

No lender-requested appraisal

Scary for the uneducated buyer if you ask me.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:49 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoias View Post
At least something they have done to make things better for the next new resident to move in. It looks like Homepath generally takes good care of thing. I would say it's a reputable, but still would have to inspect for hidden problems that Homepath may have overlooked which I read on their disclaimers.
Of course. Every real estate purchase (except auction) allows a certain amount of time for complete home inspection (at the buyer's cost). In this area, water and sewer is private (well & septic systems) so home inspection will generally include those as well as insect (ant, termite, etc). Any foreclosed property is more at risk for hidden/malicious issues than a owner-occupant seller, but any seller is capable of lying on the disclosures (at the risk of later being sued by the buyer if it can be proved that any of the declarations is blatantly false. Which is why foreclosures are sold as-is, with no disclosures of any sort...

Old 02-23-2012, 04:36 PM

982 posts, read 3,487,163 times
In the DC Metro area, the term "REO" (real estate owned) has nothing to do with income, crime rates, or any of the other "stigmas" you mentioned. It's bank lingo. All it means is they've taken ownership of the property. REO and foreclosure are synonymous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoias View Post
I had no idea what REO meant, until 2bindenver mentioned it's bank owned foreclosure. I researched on what it usually generally means. It means most of the homes are in areas with low to middle income, poor manitence by the banks, usually needs minor repairs...sometimes major. I think that could be most of the REO homes under homepath could be in higher crime areas?

Old 05-29-2012, 02:28 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,821,369 times
Is there a waiting period if you intend to flip a HOMEPATH home?

Old 05-29-2012, 02:52 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,999,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
Just remember this. Homepath financing offer this very attractive incentive for their financing.

No lender-requested appraisal

Scary for the uneducated buyer if you ask me.
...and that's why they should work with a knowledgable agent when making an offer.

I find Homepath financing very attractive for my clients because there is no PMI which can save hundreds per month and allow clients to buy a nicer home or save more money.

Old 05-29-2012, 04:03 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,779,962 times
but I've had agents tell me that the Homepath sign was a big farce and no one was going to get a loan on a house that junky. So, you can buy this home for 3.5% down.......hahahah.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:04 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,999,504 times
Homepath homes also have access to Homepath renovation loans.

Homepath loans DO NOT have condition requirements or appraisals. I'm not sure why bad condition would prevent the loan.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:01 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,606,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
but I've had agents tell me that the Homepath sign was a big farce and no one was going to get a loan on a house that junky. So, you can buy this home for 3.5% down.......hahahah.
I got my home for 3.5% down. Far from junky (needed paint and pool needed filters). The last two similar sized homes on our block sold for 215,000 and 220,000. that is almost 40,000 more than what we paid. I will take that kind of funny anyday of the week.

Old 06-02-2012, 05:31 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
Owner occupants can bid on Fannie Mae Homepath properties from the 1st day it is listed, while investors need to wait until after the First Look period has passed. In most states, First Look is the first 15 days that the property is listed (on HomePath.com) for. In Nevada, however, it's 30 days.

Owner Occupants have to sign a certification letter if they want their offer to be considered in the First Look phase. The fine is substantial: $10,000, for a buyer who deviates from this rule. After the First Look period, there are no restrictions flipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston321 View Post
Is there a waiting period if you intend to flip a HOMEPATH home?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate