U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2012, 08:07 PM

11 posts, read 26,882 times

Advertisements

I recently listed my home, And since then (more that 2 months) my listing agent has not contacted me once to discuss the status of the home, market conditions, etc. I contacted her to ask a question about a month after listing and it took several calls and an email to receive an answer a week later. I am really not happy with the service I've received up to this point because I feel that she just listed the home and feels her job is done. Is it unreasonable to expect more from my agent? Also can I fire her?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 08:47 PM

31,592 posts, read 55,295,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebit79 View Post
I recently listed my home, And since then (more that 2 months) my listing agent has not contacted me once to discuss the status of the home, market conditions, etc. I contacted her to ask a question about a month after listing and it took several calls and an email to receive an answer a week later. I am really not happy with the service I've received up to this point because I feel that she just listed the home and feels her job is done. Is it unreasonable to expect more from my agent? Also can I fire her?
Is your agent fulfilling the terms of the listing agreement?
Do you have a written marketing plan as part of the listing agreement?
Does the listing agreement allow you to terminate for the situation which is aggravating to you?

Old 02-21-2012, 09:05 PM

13,740 posts, read 31,550,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Is your agent fulfilling the terms of the listing agreement?
Do you have a written marketing plan as part of the listing agreement?
Does the listing agreement allow you to terminate for the situation which is aggravating to you?
Agree that you need to answer these questions. You can also call the principal broker for the agent and ask for a new agent to be assigned if you aren't happy.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:13 PM

31,592 posts, read 55,295,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Agree that you need to answer these questions. You can also call the principal broker for the agent and ask for a new agent to be assigned if you aren't happy.
Yes.
That was to be my "Chapter 2."

Old 02-21-2012, 10:08 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,972,766 times
I have clients that like different communications. Some don't want to be bothered until I have an offer in hand. Others would love me to call a couple times a week. Let your agent know your expectations (1 call/update per week or whatever). If she doesn't follow through, ask about canceling the listing. If she doesn't agree, call her broker to discuss your options.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:16 AM

6,324 posts, read 9,023,459 times
Definitely give this agent a call and let them know you're unhappy and what your expectations are. If they don't return your call or don't meet your expectations then give a call to their office and ask for their broker. Then simply kick their rear to the curb. Read your contract first to find out what obligations you might have should you fire this agent, but I have no doubt you can fire them.

I just get so angry when I hear about agents not delivering good service to their clients.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:25 AM

8,844 posts, read 17,437,561 times
Depends on what you hired them to do. I'll third Mike's questions.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:23 PM

41,818 posts, read 31,705,675 times
Frequency of ongoing communications/responsiveness and the client's preferred media for communication are basic things that need to be addressed upfront between the listing agent and the seller.

It certainly sounds like your agent has something better to do than attend to the most basic servicing of the relationship.

Your listing is with the brokerage, not the listing agent unless you are using a small one man band shop. Asking the managing broker to reassign your listing to a more proactive and responsive agent is reasonable, under the circumstances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or