Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 10:48 AM

582 posts, read 2,008,026 times

Advertisements

I personally don't mind the border in the kitchen so much, I think it's just too obvious in the original picture because the camera is at that level. That border wouldn't bother me unless it wasn't put on correctly, i.e. it was either coming off on it's own or wouldn't come off without damaging the wall. As long as it's not staring them in the face like that people tend not to make their decision on one wallpaper border unless they're looking for excuses not to buy... and that type of person is generally just wasting your time anyway.

I did the same thing, getting suggestions. Ironically my offer came in with the new items I bought to even out the decoration and color in my house in my trunk. They're still in the closet though in case this doesn't go through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 10:50 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,348,497 times
Megellan......wow! Thank you for that tip. This makes it much easier....however I had to go into "properties" and copy that URL. I don't have a drop down menu for "copy Image location" when I right click. Anyway it worked.

Liz....we all do have differing opinions, but lets see what the realtors say.
I'm not a realtor, but I work hand in hand with many of them everyday. I respect their experience and they respect my design sense. In reality...."staging" your home is sort of un-decorating. It's a hard concept to grasp at first, but the basics are to show off the good points of your house, and to down play the negatives. Some negatives become non problematic when you use a little ingenuity. I never recommend "hiding" things that are serious....but a little makeup and lipstick can really freshen up a wonderful house that may be too "lived in and loved hard". Your house doesn't really have that problem......I think most of these are minor.

But...certain rooms can make or break a house sale. Ask the realtors here....
where I am....the kitchen, master/masterbath and living areas are the biggies. Some just say Kitchen and master bed/bath! Keep in mind that you don't need a designer kitchen, but at least make the one you have stand out among the competition in your price range and area.

I picked out the picture of your master because I think it's carries the least amount of impact for one of the most important rooms you have featured on the web site.

Not beating a dead horse, but the general consensus is the treadmill needs relocating...and probably the standing mirror.

I just realized WHY you cannot move your bed. That looks like a bathroom door behind the TV and chest! IF you can live without the TV/AV in that room.....put it away also. It's top heavy and overpowers the room. BUT....it's hiding a big plus to that room! (Remember....think of these pics as a potentials first look at your house! Showing access to that master bath is very important! See if you can find a bed frame (usually about $35) and remove the foot board for better visual space and traffic flow for showings.

Lastly....and this goes for the entire house. Take down any portraits of children, family or personal information. When a potential buyer walks in and sees "grandma" staring at them from the fireplace, there is a psychological feeling of "intruding"....and that's not a good thing. Depersonalizing will make them feel more comfy and able to imagine them being in "their" home.

On top of that.....personal photos that show up on the internet is "too much information" to the world!

The good things.....nice wall color and it looks clean and very neat. Also good light in that room. It looks calming and relaxing.....just a bit tight. You're doing a wonderful job!

http://www.ggar.com/findhome/images/listings/1137076d.jpg (broken link)

Old 09-11-2007, 10:53 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,828,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Megellan......wow! Thank you for that tip. This makes it much easier....however I had to go into "properties" and copy that URL. I don't have a drop down menu for "copy Image location" when I right click. Anyway it worked.
No problem! It depends on which kind of browser you use, which I keep forgetting. I use Mozilla Firefox, so mine is right click "Copy Image Location". Internet Explorer might be different, as I haven't used it in a long time. Wherever your "copy image" function is located.

If anyone else needs help posting photos, send me a message and I can try and walk you through it.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:05 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,639,741 times
Default re: Opinions please on my house for sale

Very nice home. However, the kitchen seems very small in the picture. I sure wish we had prices like this in California.

Old 09-12-2007, 04:03 PM

8 posts, read 35,939 times
Default Some blunt feedback. Hope it is a help.

O.K. You asked for blunt so that's what you're going to get. This is Mike's wife speaking.
First, the positives: This is a cute home that looks well maintained. The grass is green, you have a nice deck and etc...
Now for the blunt: Your furniture looks too big for the house. Remember, you are selling a house, NOT your pretty furniture. The next buyer may not have the nice stuff and might not be able to visualize their own more humble things. Also, look at the picture of the deck. There's no room to walk. One look at it for me and I said, Wow is that small! The owners have to cram everything on it. Didn't your realtor tell you this? Rent a storage unit and leave 2 chairs and a small BBQ (yours is way too big) and a very small table for two--maybe. Get rid of the kids stuff. Even in a family neighborhood, you should stuff the kids stuff. Most buyers will be young, looking for their first home and will probably NOT even have kids yet in this size of home and price range. Remember, you are not living in the house you live in, you should be living in the house to SELL it. Now for some specifics:

Kitchen: Is it totally painted neutral? Leave only 1 appliance on the counter if you MUST. Get rid of ALL the clutter on the shelf looking into the living. Leave maybe one candle for a transition to a more formal room. If appliances are being included, they must be perfectly clean. Empty your cabinets to have no more than 1/2 of what you normally should have in them. The kitchen is the sole room that has the most power over the sale of your home.

Formal Dining Room: Take out the china hutch and whatever the other square shaped item in the lower right corner of the picture. The rug doen't go well with your traditional furniture. Consider removing it completely. Finally, get rid of the drapes or sheers. They look out of date and thats the first impression I had as an internet home viewer: This home doesn't have any updated window treatments. Thats my impression and I could be totally wrong! Go to home depot or better yet lowes and have them cut you some faux wood blinds for that room OR put up some drapery panels on the sides only to open up the window. But get rid of the sheers. Also, I would invest in a $17 gallon of paint and get rid of the faux paint. It is from the 90's and is too personal and taste specific. Paint is cheap and plain neutral has NEVER offended any buyer. Oh and consider setting the table in a casual but ready to eat way. This helps the buyer to visualize themselves using the room.

Living Room or Family Room?: The focal point of this room SHOULD be your gorgeous fireplace! Instead it is your oversized entertainment center. It makes the room look small with all this furniture in the room. Store it! Rearange the furniture to be sitting toward the fireplace. You should be trying to sell the features of the house such as this and instead the focus is directed at your huge furniture!
Also, did you notice the toys are in the listing photo? Have your realtor re-take and post this room if not ALL of them. If youve been listing since July, everyone in this price range has seen and re-seen these photos. IF you can spark interest after all this time, they want to see something new and from a different angle to help them reconsider taking another look. Finally, clear off the mantle of all of your personal pics. Your mantle should be dressed up like a model home--simply. Only a few NON Pesonal items.

Bedroom: AGain, too much furniture and it is way too oversized for this room. I would store the dresser with the tv, AND store the tv, the treadmill which looks like its there because there was no other place in the house it would fit. Windows again! Those are outdated looking and should be replaced with some faux wood blinds. Faux wood blinds are about $50 max at lowes and can be cut to fit while you wait if you measured correctly. Clear out your closets of almost EVERYTHING! EVERY closet in the house. Determine the least number of everything you can get by with: shoes, towels, etc... . Consider getting some crown molding for the master bedroom to set it off. It will cost less than $75 and could give your home that extra something to set it off in a neighborhood of homes that honestly, look a whole lot alike.

I think the biggest reason you are NOT selling your home is this: TOO MUCH stuff and TOO BIG of scale. Store this stuff and live on a minimum. It will make the living space appear bigger and will highlight its best points. You want it to look spacious, roomy and have the buyer be able to visualize themselves in it. Toys, family photos too much furniture will NOT do this. Visit a few model homes and see how they do it.

You are fortunate in that you have nice furniture to show off the house. Just make it so you are showing off the house and not the furniture.

Go to realestateabc.com and do an evaluation on the home price youre asking. It has sliders to adjust for the condition of your home on the:

Interior
exterior
view
privacy/noise

and the current market conditions.

Finally, I hope I haven't offended you in any way. Your home nice and furnished nicely too. Im just trying to think as critically as possible and assume that you have enough people who won't tell you what they really are thinking. So I tried to see it as a buyer and one who first viewed it on the internet perhaps. The competition in todays market is fierce and will be for quite awhile. Of all the homes we have recently seen, I would estimate about 70% have been professionally staged. So I was trying to see things in your home and all the details in comparison to those homes we have seen that have shown the best.

Best of Luck.

Last edited by mike7; 09-12-2007 at 04:57 PM..

Old 09-17-2007, 08:29 AM

335 posts, read 1,180,073 times
I started a new post with the new pics after all the suggestions.

Thanks again, Liz

http://www.city-data.com/forum/real-...please-my.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate